Best cab for tight low end and good bass response???

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by broj15, Dec 30, 2011.

1. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Title basically says it all. I just got my 5150 II delivered to me via ups yesterday and now i'm in need of a cab.

I'm leaning towards an orange ppc412 but i'm not sure if the closed back or the open back would be better for my needs. I need something with good bass responce and a VERY tight low end.

I'm currently switching back and forth between my old school c-7 hellraiser (replaced the 707 in the bridge with a 81-7) for drop A and lower stuff and my Ibby saber (dimarzio's of some variety but will be getting some bkp aftermaths soon enough) for drop B stuff.

I've heard the the golden formula for a brutal tone is usually 6505/5150 + celestion vintage 30's + tube screamer-esque pedal = bruatl tight tone. After i purchase a cab i plan on getting a maxon od808 and a isp decimator.

Basically i need good cab reccomendations to get a good amount of tightness and still have enough low end. Price isn't really an issue. I'm willing to save up as much as i need to in order to aquire quality gear (but lets try to keep it under $1200)

2. ST3MOCON

ST3MOCON SS.org Regular

Anything with v30's will make you happy but here is what I know.

Mesa oversized 412 v30- tons of base, bigger than the average oversized cab. A little too much bass IMO. The back of the cab always rattled lose.

Marshall 1960 lead 412 v30- supper tight! Not very much compared to the boogie but it has a lot of mod range growl.

Randall oversized 412 v30 - in between the Marshall and the boogie in tone. Growl and bass. Bigger in size compared to the Marshall, smaller than the oversized Mesa cab.

I think oversized cabs all sound pretty similar as long as they arnt as big as the Mesa oversized which sounds extremely sloppy when used with a rectifier. With a 5150 not so much but still very bassy.

Krank dimebag 412 Texas heats eminence- utter shit. No bass treble up the ass. I hated it, but I only played my friends.

Those are the only cabs I have a lot of experience with anything else I have no clue. Hope that helps.

3. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

K-100 loaded cab is about as tight as they come while still having lots of tone.

4. Deliverowned

Deliverowned Tabernach

You want closed back, opened back are are everything but tight in the lows.
    A sure bet would be a mesa traditional 412 thhat you could fin used in a good shape for cheap 600$. Or an oange as you mentioned theyre tight and darker. Vaders would do it too. Im playing ym 5150 with a Fryette D412 but the fatbottom would be even tighter. I sold my v30s of a cab cause i didnt like them that much. They sound really good but i think i better like the eminence tone more.

You got a lot of options especcialy with that price range.

5. romper_stomper

romper_stomper ((AETOS))

Vader did the trick for me. Tons of head room and loads of controlable low end. Higher wattage will cause your tone/low end to be tighter than most other cabs. Best piece of equipment I ever purchased.

6. Adrian-XI

Adrian-XI SS.org Regular

Orange closed back, as stated above.

7. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I've heard a lot of good things about vader cabs but i have never looked into them. I talked to Corey "buddha" Arford from carnifex and he said that his vader cab was the shit but he also said it was "expensive as fuck".

I've read that they are absolute tanks (some one had a story of one falling out of the trailer going at highway speed and it still functioned properly once they gt to the venue) so that is a plus.

I believe i also read them reffered to as "active cabs". I'm not entirley sure what that means if anyone more educated on the matter (or who actually ownes one) could enlighten me.

I would like to try a cab from DAR as well but i'm not sure if they are currently taking orders. i've been checking the thread on here about them and it looks like they are priced at around $1300 witch seems pretty reasonable.

I know that Engl makes great heads for getting that tight sound but what about thier cabs? I'm sure they have several models out there and if anyone could shed some light into that area it would be much appreciated.

8. oliviergus

oliviergus Djentiver Gustafsson

Do you want a 4x12? Becuase the 2x12 can tighten up the low end.
    Ive just got the Zilla super fatboy with V30s, its tight.

I'm quoting Paul (the creator of the cabs):

9. Dead Undead

Dead Undead New again

Emperor. You can get your choice of speakers. I got mine with their stock Webers but you could get something like K-100's if that's more your liking. They're great people to deal with and the prices are reasonable . They look great, but more importantly they SOUND fantastic. I use a Laney VH100R through mine and the lows are deep and clear and defined. Cleans are beautiful and warm and crunch and distortion sound so powerful. If I can get tight tones out of my Laney through one, you won't have a problem with a 5150 and a boost.
    Highly recommend them.

10. Captastic

Captastic SS.org Regular

VHT FB 4x12...

11. KAMI

KAMI Mom's Spaghetti

:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:

12. 155

155 SS.org Regular

marshall here...

13. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

Tight response? Huge but clear low end? 5150? Vader.

They don't have to be expensive as fuck. The regular price for a used 4x12 is $500. They're not active.

14. amarshism

amarshism SS.org Regular

For a 5150 go Mesa trad. The fryette fatbottom can't touch it. I have both cabs.

15. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

The Mesa oversized 4x12 + 5150 is THE recorded metal tone.

16. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

How are the G Flex? I see they've come down in price a lot. Thats another option.

17. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

trad or stiletto as it's called cab, still gunna crush, but tighter low end but still plenty of lows, a marshall 1960 cab with v30's or K100's will get there too

18. Koop

Koop SS.org Regular

Port city 2x12. The difference between my Port City and my old Mesa recto 212 is night and day. The PC is very tight while still sounding open and rich in bass. People seriously need to look into these cabinets.

19. edsped

edsped SS.org Regular

G-Flex 2x12s are great. If you want a lot of tight low end get a good ported cab.

20. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

If you can find a Marshall MF280 cab I'm sure you'd dig it. It's Marshall's answer to the Mesa Recto cab with custom V30s that have better bass response.