Best Budget 7 String Guitars?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Hendog, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Hendog

Hendog SS.org Regular

I did a search and found some opinions but every year new guitars are released so I thought I would post a new thread.

What are the best budget 7 string guitars right now? I have been considering a Jackson JS32-7. I read (on this forum) a lot of positive feedback on the JS22-7 as well.

What do you guys think?

MerlinTKD likes this.
  2. Hendog

Hendog SS.org Regular

Anyone?

3. Defyantly

Defyantly Maybe

I had a js-22 7 and although it played rather well, it did not feel comfortable to my hands. Your asking a very broad question. There are dozens of threads that address this very issue that you can search for. The best advice that I can give (and I'm sure others will give as well) is to go to your local shop and try what 7's they have. Not all budget 7s feel the same. Some are built rather well and you can find some good gems for very little cash. Also, you need to specify if you are looking used or new. You can get quite a few good tier instruments used for awesome deals you just have to have patience. Another good question is what is your budget. You are going to be looking at very different guitars if your budget is 300-500 vs 100-200.

MerlinTKD likes this.
  4. Morchiant

Morchiant Member

Well, I can't provide a definitive answer, but I just bought an Agile Septor Elite 7 string, and its an incredible guitar for the money. I also had an Ibanez 7421, and after upgrading the pickups, it was also a great guitar, but I prefer the Agile for that price range (less than $700). Other than that, who knows - so many options really.

MerlinTKD likes this.
  5. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

There are so many great used 6 strings for not even 300$ that will play and sound so much better than any budget 7...

DickyTripleD likes this.
  6. kingpinMS3

kingpinMS3 dumb, but harmless

used agile anything.

7. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

The Js22-7 I played was pretty solid, and generally sounded better than the 7421. Never played an agile though. If your budget doesn't quite touch 'used prestige' territory, getting a used mid-range guitar like a RG927 in good condition might also be great.

8. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

What's your budget?

77zark77 likes this.
  9. Hendog

Hendog SS.org Regular

Thanks for the replies. To be honest I think I might have to wait and get a Sterling Petrucci 7. Nothing under $500 seems to come with a case so there is $100+ right there. And anything I like will end up getting locking tuners (another $100+). So a $200 guitar is over $400.

The cheapest new Sterling Petrucci 7 looks to be $550 and it comes with a case and locking tuners. I wish it was a 26.5 scale.

Does anyone know of a sub $500 7 with locking tuners and a case?

10. TheShade0110

TheShade0110 SS.org Regular

https://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html

Plenty of options under $500+hardshell case and some are cheap enough that adding locking tuners yourself will still have the price below $500 but Agiles don't have issues staying in tune.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  11. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

Schecter Demon 7, Jackon Js 32s-7, RG 7421

12. Defyantly

Defyantly Maybe

Plenty of options under 500 that come with cases. For that budget you can get a very good instrument if you are willing to look used. There are always good deals floating around!

13. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

The best budget 7 I ever got new was the Schecter SGR. Good hardware, USA setup, solid heavy bludgeon murder weapon if swung. Not light though. You don't get lockers, but its was the only new guitar to come with GOOD 15:1 tuners. Even the stock pickups are usable. Other than that, used LTD's are your friend. M-207 is great, F-207, H-207/307. The H is one of the best. Check on Reverb. I've never not had a good used LTD.

MerlinTKD and sezna like this.
  14. Hendog

Hendog SS.org Regular

Thanks for the replies. I have considered the Agile options but I have never had the chance to play one so I would be going in blind.

15. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

They have a very good return policy. Don't worry about it.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  16. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Although it doesnt compare to my other guitars, the Ibanez RGIRLOTSOFLETTERSIBANEZWHYFFS that I got for 666€ (not a typo) is pretty good for the price, and came with EMGs. I didn't want to spend more because it was my first seven string guitar. (and probably last, I only use seven strings when I consciously try to)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  17. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

Agile! Always go for agile! You get name brand quality for a low price. My 8 string 28 inch scale was about $650 shipped and my 9 string is 30 inch scale and was about $750 shipped. If you research the specs that would cost about $900-$1300 anywhere else. The 8 has blackouts and the 9 has emg 909s. I dont care for the 909s but still a good price is my point. I would love to get a 27 inch 7 string from agile. Their passives are amazing. They are pretty close to lundgren m series pickups. I regret not getting a passive 8 and 9 but oh well.

LeviathanKiller and MerlinTKD like this.
  18. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

The Schecter Banshee Extreme doesn't look too bad. And a used RG7x2x is always sweet.

19. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

Another thing to consider is tuning and scale length. If not going lower than A or G 26.5 scale is good, but with 27 inch scale you could comfortably go down to E. I want a 27 inch 7 string to do drop c with a low f or drop b with a low e.

20. Nicholas Blankenship

Nicholas Blankenship New Member

I saw a jackson js32 on reverb for $307 + free shipping on reverb and decided to get it. I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail but i kind of wish i just got an agile instead. My other guitar broke so I didn't have a very high budget but wanted a guitar.

MerlinTKD likes this.