Best books or online courses

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Chanson, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Chanson

Chanson SS.org Regular

Hey all, I'm an on/off bassist for the last 10 years or more and recently decided to switch to guitar. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any great book or online material (free or paid).

I have a pretty basic knowledge of music theory already. This is something I would definitely like to expand on but for now my main focus is learning technique/execution more than theory.

If it helps at all for your suggestions, I listen to metal mainly and that is the genre I aspire to play. I understand all genres and knowledge can be beneficial though. I have already started to learn as many songs as I can but I want to make sure I start with a good foundation.

2. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar

Chanson likes this.
  3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Ben Eller has some great technique lessons that are all available on YouTube.

If you’re looking for a solid foundation these are just what you need.

Chanson likes this.
  4. Chanson

Chanson SS.org Regular

Maybe I should just start another thread for this, but can anyone suggest any good teachers for rock/metal in San Francisco or the Bay Area?