Best and most disappointing acquired gear of 2019

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Spaced Out Ace, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Correct me if I'm wrong: the whole "Mark is different kinda amp to dial in" thing is just because the BMT controls are pre-gain and G-eq is post gain.

2. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

And also because there are a million switches and none of the knobs do what you'd expect them to do.

Hollowway and StevenC like this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's mostly this. I had trouble dialing stuff at first because it didn't occur to me to turn the bass knob down. Everything was flubby and I couldn't figure out why. I was of the mindset that everything should start in the middle and go from there, but that's not how this one works.

Most of the options are pretty subtle though. A lot of it is set-and-forget. If you keep the bass knob down, and the GEQ in a vaguely V shape, you're going to be in pretty standard Mark tone territory no matter what you do with the rest.

All of that being said, it's got a voice of it's own that not everyone is going to gel with. It doesn't sound like other Mesas, or any of the trying-to-be-a-Marshall amps I've owned before. And for all it's versatility, there are some things it just doesn't do. If you were sold on the versatility but just don't like the basic Mark thing that it does, I could understand being disappointed in it.

4. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

There's that, and they're also just a very different voice (read: midrangey as fuck) compared to most other amps on the market, and they have a klajillion knobs and switches. IIRC my IV had somewhere in the ballpark of 5 different push-pull pots.

The other problem I had was that I could get approximately 3 sounds I actually liked out of it, and it was "Metallica, Dream Theater, Lamb Of God". Cleans were okay but kinda nothing special, R2 was just generally not great sounding...

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

^
    It's almost inevitable one day you'll hear another one and are perplexed by the sounds coming out of it enough to want to try it out again thinking wtf?! : )

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Unpopular opinion -> Some of the best things the Mark IV can do come from R2. It's not a high gain channel. With the right tubes, pickups that sound good already, and a tastefully low amount of gain, you can pull some reaaaaally nice pushed "clean" and lightly crunchy sounds out of that channel.

c7spheres likes this.
  7. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 SS.org Regular

I had a pretty good year gear-wise, not really much that wound up sucking bad and being regrettable, thankfully. Some standout purchases in a good way though....

GOOD:
    Solar A2.6FB baritone- I didn't have much first-hand experience playing Solar guitars other than picking one up here and there for a few moments at NAMM and such, so I was nervous ordering one without getting to test-drive it, so to speak. Pleasantly surprised, a nicely balanced guitar with great tone, the Solar pickups are great and so far I've kept it all stock and it's gigged out just fine. Got a good deal on it too (about a hundred off the normal $$) so I can't complain at all.

Tone City Durple and Wild Fro pedals- Another blind buy basically, I saw these advertised in an e-mail and they were having a pre-order sale that was really cheap so I said, why not? I like the videos and tones that Danish Pete & Rabea get in most of their videos so I figured I'd give it a shot. Both pedals sound great and are pretty sturdy for being inexpensive mini-pedals.

Seymour Duncan Dark Sun and Diamondhead pedals- I got to try out the Dark Sun at the beginning of '19 when it was first announced and I was surprised how nice it was, a lot of fun and lots of possibilities for creative sounds. As much as I like their digital delay and reverb pedals, I feel like Duncan took the best aspects of each of them and put them into one pedal (which is nice because those pedals are pretty big, so having them in one pedal saves me a lot of space now) and added a few cool new things to it. Same with the Diamondhead, it's turning out to be a pretty versatile distortion pedal and the built-in post-gain boost is excellent, so now I don't need an extra boost pedal on the board anymore. i keep trying to make my rig more compact while not sacrificing the sounds I need, so these pedals have been a big help so far.

DISAPPOINTING:
    Luckily not much in the way of disappointing this past year, though I've had horrible luck with Mogami cables anymore it seems. The last several I've bought have wound up crapping out on me after relatively little use or travel. I don't know if just a bad batch went out at some point or some materials changed along the way or what. Always had great luck with them before?

Spaced Out Ace and Zoobiedood like this.
  8. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

If this is about gear in general: JBL EON610 speaker. Holy crap, is that one noisy amplifier design. Doesn't matter in a rehearsal room with a drummer and two guitar stacks, but it's absolutely unusable in any environment without permanent background noise over 80dB. As I bought it for practising with my Helix at home, I had to send it back and spend a little more for a "proper active speaker" (TM).

Adieu likes this.
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I suppose something I didn't think of:
    I can't remember if it was in 2019, but I think I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I like the JB and 59 pairing. And how much I really hated blackouts.

Adieu and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  10. D-Nasty

D-Nasty SS.org Regular

I had a killer year in 2019! I have dubbed it "The Year of Gear"! I had a few disappointments but mostly good.

THE GOOD:
    Jackson Soloist SLX Orange Crackle
    Ibanez RG752M Prestige
    Revv D20
    Revv G3
    Revv G4
    KSR CERES
    Pepers Dirty Tree
    Horizon Devices Precision Drive
    Fortin Zuul
    Fortin Roach
    Rocktron Micro Hush
    Two Notes Torpedo CAB M
    TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2
    Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
    ISP Decimator X
    Voodoo Labs Dingbat Medium with Pedal Power 2 Plus
    Countryman Type 85
    MOTU M4
    Korg Pitchblack Rack Tuner
    MESA Compact Rectifier 2X12 Cab
    Studio RTA Producer Station

THE BAD:
    Jackson Soloist SLX DX (Arrived with a factory defect. Bridge mounting stud hole was drilled too big. Returned)
    Sterling by Music Man JP70 (Bought "New" from Guitar Center. Arrived with a big ass scratch on the headstock & the hole for the spring claw was stripped out. Returned.)
    Radial J48 Stereo (Clipped my interface even with passive pickups & the -15db pad engaged. Returned.)
    Mackie Big Knob Passive Monitor Controller (HUGE loss in volume & loud buzzing. Returned.)

2020 is looking good so far! I just picked up a Mesa Triple Rectifier with a flight case & I'm about to get an ESP EII-M-II! Maybe a Diezel 4X12 too! :hbang:

XPT707FX likes this.
  11. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

My custom ESP. One one hand it's one of the best playing and sounding guitars I've ever had. One the other hand...

nAQtdvt.jpg

That's not a guitar you play anything on. I have to be in an 80s mood to play it. Also you pull the volume pot to change to the neck pickup. I still haven't figured out an easy way to do that while I'm playing.

fps, cyb, sirbuh and 5 others like this.
  12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

HAWT :wub:

It may be easier to do the pickup switch if you replace the push-pull pot with a push-push like this: https://www.warmoth.com/Push-Push-Pot-500k-with-DPDT-Switch-On-On-P732C74.aspx

I have one installed in the guitar in my profile pic and it's a lot easier to manage than the push-pull that was in there before :2c:

XPT707FX likes this.
  13. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I've put a lot of thought into putting a push-push in it, but it's one of those guitars that sounds so perfect I still use the string gauge that came on it instead of what I prefer. Even though I have enough confidence in my soldering skills, I don't want to change anything and risk screwing something up.

14. runbirdman

runbirdman Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy Contributor

Best: PRS CE24
    It’s a ridiculously versatile guitar. The 85/15 pickups are the only stock pickups I have left in my guitars. It’s a satin model with the satin neck. Really an impressive guitar for what I paid.

Worst: Morley ABY
    It does what it’s supposed to do but the switch is accompanied by a really loud pop that makes the pedal unusable for live settings.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.