Best 8 string for around $2500/£2000?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Insomnia, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Insomnia

Insomnia Needs more strings!

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a high-end eight string, and was wondering what you guys might suggest?

I've got three main ideas:

1) Aristides 080
    2) Strandberg Boden OS 8
    3) Mayones Setius 8

Each one has their own pros and cons, and I'd love to hear some opinions. If you have other guitar suggestions, please feel free to send them my way!

(Note: Not interested in buying second-hand).

2. Rook

Rook Electrifying

What do you plan to do with it? What amp do you have? What tones do you like or would you say you're aiming for?

3. Insomnia

Sorry, completely forgot to clarify this.

I'm mainly playing Animals as Leaders-esque cleans, thumping, tapping, and general djent rhythm. I'm mainly going to be using it for studio work, writing riffs, and doing small gigs, no international touring, but I'd hope this guitar will last me my lifetime. I'll be playing through an Axe FX II XL+ into FRFR monitors.

4. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Well I haven't played an Aristedes but hate the aesthetic. Not really your problem.

I've owned 2 strandbergs and a bunch of Mayones so would say the following:
    - If you're gunna be moving it around a lot, the size and weight of strandberg's a huge plus.
    - Saying that, I think Mayo might just edge it on quality
    - The Setius will have more clearance if you slap
    - The Setius might be easier to sell on second hand
    - It'll be easier to make very big strings work on the Setius, strandberg hardware isn't anything you want to be modifying.

Generally, all that extra wood on the Mayo can be heard, in my opinion. The way we made my strandberg sound bigger was by hollowing it out, but this then meant we had the classic feedback drama in a loud room. Was very manageable and sounded awesome but I don't think the OS's are chambered. You might therefore find the Setius sounds a little meatier.

Reading back over my post, it seems to sound like I favour the Mayones - I loved my strandbergs and would definitely still own them if I weren't trying to buy house. There was just something right about them for me. They were however both 'made to measure', the second one being specced by me. I think if it was between an off-the-shelf mayo and a bodes OS, I'd probably go Mayo.

You're in London though, get over to guitar guitar and try them for yourself I think!

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

I would say Strandberg (though I haven't tried a mayones for comparison yet)- the OS line is great but the tops are really hit or miss. Also, cannot recommend the x-bar version enough. I greatly prefer them over the 808x version. pretty sure the aristides 080 starts at 2500 euro, which is out of your posted price range, otherwise I'd say aristides. If you're more open with your price range then I'd say kiesel is also a great option, provided you can wait 3 months (or you could cruise their in stock selection which usually has a couple vader 8 strings in it).

6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I would lean towards the Mayones or Aristides. Both manufacturers will give you a choice of pickups Duncan, BKP, EMG, etc. and both seem to be very high end instruments with great quality control and high end features. Ultimately its up to what you think will be more comfortable for you (body shape, neck shape, aesthetics).

I don't think you will be let down by the quality or features of these instruments. Another positive for the Aristides, in my opinion, would be the SS frets.

If you go Aristides, the Pegasus/Sentient set (come stock) would probably work well as Tosin has been using this set in one of his new Ibanez 8 prototypes for a while now.

I've heard great things about the Strandberg as well, however, it would appear that you're paying a lot for the name/shape of the instrument. In my opinion, these OS guitars are a bit overpriced. Yet, these are still strong instruments with great features and a unique build.

My suggestion is to find music stores that stock these instruments (Aristides is probably going to be the easiest to find in your location) and give them a try!! The best instrument for you is the one that you enjoy the most.

EDIT: To be clear, Tosin is also developing a signature set but was using the Pegasus/Sentient before developing his own set. At least this is what a Duncan rep has said.

7. Insomnia

I have in fact tried out both a Regius 7 and a Boden CL 7 at GuitarGuitar, and really liked both for different reasons. However, I've never played a Setius before, and I'm would've thought, considering the price difference, they'll play differently. Plus they were both sevens, so I guess I'll have to see if they have any eights in stock. Setius 8s are also much, much harder to come by, meaning I'd probably end up having to order one, rather than a pre-specced one, and therefore the price could be more like £2200-£2500, I'm just not sure.

8. TamanShud

TamanShud Finished

Not sure what it would do to your budget but if I was in your shoes I'd be looking at the Aristides 080S cos the fan goes up to 28" (assuming you're tuning lower than standard). Drop in some Instrumental Pickups if you don't jive with the Bareknuckles and go :yesway:

9. zeropoint

zeropoint SS.org Regular

Aristides.

10. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

I haven't had a chance to play a Mayones or an Aristides but my Strandberg OS8 is great. For the record the OS series is chambered, I'm pretty happy with the acoustic resonance of the body and I've never had any feedback issues when playing loudly.

11. Perplexed-Perception

Perplexed-Perception SS.org Regular

although i am only about to receive my skervesen Shoggie dc 8 FF soon, if you have the money Don't overlook Skervesen ;)

12. Insomnia

Any particular reason why?

13. Insomnia

EDIT: I've managed to find a Regius 8, brand new, from a German shop for £2,400. This could be another option.

14. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

You could add Kiesel to that list if you don't mind the roughly 3 month wait. Remember to factor in shipping ($116, could be less to the UK) and any customs taxes etc you might have to pay.

Both Strandberg and Kiesel have good return policies so they are no-brainer options. You should definitely check out if Strandberg still have some OS 8s in stock as they were selling them recently at a decent discount.

My experience is that Kiesels are built better than the Strandberg Boden OS line but on the other hand the Strandberg has a number of unique features you might like such as the Endurneck or the rather ergonomic body shape. I like Kiesel's Lithium pickups better than the EMG or Lace options offered by Strandberg. Avoid ash bodies with the Lithiums though as both are a bit mid scooped.

Definitely go with a multiscale model though.

15. PBC

PBC Composition Ontology

I have no experience with either brand but my only suggestion, as someone who just purchased his first real high end guitar, is to put playability above all else, you don't want an expensive case queen.

Whichever neck (thickness and profile) + fretboard radius feels best in your hand is the right choice regardless of the brand. Do some have 54mm nut vs 55mm?

It seems that you going for ergonomics, I'd suggest considering the S5528LW, or in english, the Ibanez S8 Prestige

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Rook

Rook Electrifying

The Setius has a rounder neck and less friendly heel, where the neck meets the body.

Both necks are great, both models play well and have their own merits, I think I'm in a minority but I don't perceive the difference between the Setius and Regius to be one of quality, just price point mostly down to construction.

17. EchelonXIII

EchelonXIII SS.org Regular

You won't ever get an 080 for 2000 pounds though. That being said, it is by far the best guitar out of this list for the money. The clarity and responsiveness of the Arium works great for the lower registers, and gives the high end a lot of color.

Just take note that the material responds a bit differently to pickup outputs, and tends to really hot-rod the hotness of any pickup, so i'd be a bit conservative with the output.