Best 7 String Around $1k?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by saxman42, Feb 13, 2020.

1. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

I've been out of playing 7 string for a while but have been getting the itch again. What models would you recommend checking out around the $1k mark or less? I definitely don't want a Floyd Rose, but I'm flexible on other specs. I just want a guitar that plays nice with a fairly low action. I can change things like pickups and electronics to taste later if I need to.

I've been really curious about Solar guitars and love the way they look, but have no way of trying one before buying. I also have an Ernie Ball BFR JP15 6 string that I love, so I'm tempted to try the Sterling JP157.

Thanks!

2. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Fixed bridge RGD2127

3. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Schecter KM7

4. natedog_approved

natedog_approved Meatsack

I've heard like 99% good things about Solar and the bad is very minor/corrected by Solar. Subjective, of course. But telling.

I too haven't played one nor will I likely get the chance, but I plan on buying one when funds allow, no hesitation.

5. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

Mk ii

Day of the Ed likes this.
  6. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

I had a washburn solar 7 evertune. Cant comment on solar now a days but it was decent for the price nothing special but nothing terrible. Ive played a km7 mkii for $800 and that thing blew me away.
    Crazy specs for under $1k and made in korea

metal4life71 likes this.
  7. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

There are tons of good choices nowadays. Schecter elite or signature, Ibanez premium (w. Stainless steel frets) or used prestige, used carvin or kiesel...

The sterlings look nice but you won't find as much in the way of long term reviews or experience with them. They're just less common. My experience with them was that getting a used ebmm, even for a few hundred more (around 1k is almost there), even a bit banged up, is well worth it in comparison.

Good luck with the search!

metal4life71 likes this.
  8. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

Such a sick guitar

9. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I'd also say Schecter SLS C7 Elite is probably your best bang for your buck. They offer both Floyd and Hipshot bridges with the Hipshot being around $1250 (use a GC or MF coupon code for 15% off). They have stainless steel frets, ebony fretboard, Fishman Fluence Modern pickups, a thin neck profile, spoke wheel truss adjustment, two color finishes etc. They're very nice guitars, I bought a Floyd based one for use when going to the studio to rehearse. My single only gripe it it's standard super-strat shape. I'm a Jackson Kelly/BC Rich shape guy... love the crazier shapes plus I find the cutouts of them more comfortable to play. The Schecter digs into my forearm just a little. Anyway, like I said you'll probably get the most features/value for your dollar with this model.

Rev.

Strobe and Strtsmthng like this.
  10. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

While I didn't personally vibe with it, another vote for the SLS C7 Elite. Really an absolutely flawless instrument that I'd say was better built then my Prestige RGD. I was able to pick the one I had up used off Guitar Center online for 700 shipped. You can find some stupid deals there if you look

Strtsmthng and mbardu like this.
  11. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

RGD 2127s are going for like 700 bucks these days with upgraded pickups...

kamello likes this.
  12. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Unless you are set on 25.5", this is the correct answer IMO.

13. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

1. Sam Ash

2. Kill switch

That's like $250 right there. :lol:

14. buck fever

buck fever SS.org Regular

I’d get a used Ibanez RG752LWFX-Hab or AGB, or a RG1027pbf. Both are really well built guitars with, IMO, super nice necks.

15. Kenneth Gurholt

Kenneth Gurholt Member

schecter KM7, any of the models are killer good ;)

16. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Get a Holcomb SVN.

The Alpha/Omega Pickups alone are worth it. Easily the best passive I've ever played. Also 26.5 scale.

17. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Of the Schecters, I like the Banshee Elite 7.

Otherwise, I'm gonna recommend something with a TOM, which is probably not what you want. :lol:

18. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

RGD 2127
    had two Schecter's KM

the first was built with wet wood and weighted around 4.5 kg (10 pounds for mah murican friends) and had shitty electronics that went dead after a few weeks of playing
    the second was a green one with sustainer, had glue waste around some areas and the electronics also died after a few weeks. Is that serious enough to say it was a shit guitar? No, but is definitely unnaceptable stuff for a guitar costing 900 to 1100usd, the wet wood thing was just trash tho'

after a few months and trying different brands I ended up getting an Ibanez RGD2127, best 7 string guitar I've ever had (gonna upload an NGD in a few days :D )

19. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

Have Schecter guitars improved over the last few years? My first seven string was a C7 Hellraiser and I wasn't impressed. It was muddy and one of the more lifeless guitars I've ever played. I assumed it was a dud, but most other Schecters I've picked up have felt the same. However, I haven't played one in about five years.

I went to my local Guitar Center yesterday and they didn't have much, but they did have a used Solar A2.6. It was built very well. The fretwork was great and the neck relief was a perfect curve. I was impressed. Too bad it wasn't a seven string.

I'd be interested in trying the Schecter KM7, Ibanez, and Holcomb PRS mentioned above. I wish more places stocked them.

20. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

Used KM7 mkiii, the wenge neck is awesome

buck fever likes this.