Belated NPAD: Kartakou Beastbox preamp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

So ive wondered if my comparisons of the beastbox and engl e530 have been accurate, so today i A/B them back to back going into my mesa 50/50.

Long story short, i was wrong. To my ears they sound essentially identical. The only EXTREMELY slight difference is that the beastbox is a hair brighter. The e530 treble was at 1:30/2o clock and i got the same result on the kartakou with treble at noon.
    The other super negligible difference is in the lowend, the engl has an ever slightly more chewiness in the lows, almost hard to notice. I figured id try the depth finder after the beastbox to see what happens, presence off, resonance at 10/11 o clock and it made them indistinguishable.

I think i can honestly say that the beastbox is the best preamp pedal ive ever played. Bit biased of course as im a huge fan of that chewy super saturated engl tone.
    Plus out of all the amps etc i have the engl e530 was the most pleasing to my ears so i guess its inevitable i love the beastbox.
    I have to say kartakou is a special company, vasili definitely knows what hes doing!

Emperoff and sonoftheoldnorth like this.
  2. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Any comparison clips? I'd love to have the tone of my Engl sovereign without the 40kg that go with it :lol:

Also, is there a noticeable differen in volume when switching from crunch to lead? I noticed they have no separate controls.

Damn, the fact that the Ceres, the Kraken and the Beatbox are all around the same price is making my choice too hard.

3. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

I do plan on doing a simple comparison soon.
    Vol from crunch to lead is pretty negligible, it never once entered my mind while playing it

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Emperoff likes this.
  4. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Those dual mid controls are the reason I sold mine...
    I was constantly fiddling with them, and could never fine "those" mids that I like to hear.

5. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

The dual mids are something i actually love about it! Wish all amps had em lol

Beheroth, Emperoff and wakjob like this.
  6. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I had the Salvation Angel E module for mts @wakjob and I have to agree, the dual mids was a problem for me. I just wanted more mids and never found the balance. I still have 001 of 2 Beastbox rack pre's :D ever made and I'm glad it's not dual mids.