Belated NAD: Lab Series L7 (Jensen speakers, custom grill cloth, lots of pics, potato clip)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by wheresthefbomb, Jun 4, 2021.

1. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I saw this thing sitting in the coat closet at the restaurant I work at, offered them $100 to take it off their hands. The hostess told me "that thing's been here longer than me and I've been here 20 years." It was nasty, sticky, dusty, cobwebby, only one speaker worked, all the knobs crackled, and it had smoked more cigarettes than cancer man.

[​IMG]

I took it apart and cleaned up a lot. Lots of alcohol on the tolex, knobs, and faceplate (which used to be black, the silvery-green is faded from the original), deoxit on everything, vacuumed out all the garbage and gave it some new fuses. The multifilter still wasn't working and it had a lot of ground hum, so off to the amp doctor it went. $60 and two weeks later, I got it back in working order.

I had also ordered a set of Jensen Electric Lightning from that BOGO fire sale, which showed up just when the amp got finished. It turned out only one speaker was dead (shoutout to my multimeter), but I replaced one on each side to keep things even.

I had found this fabric years ago at Value Village and knew immediately it'd make a great grill cover, so I kept it around until the right candidate appeared. I watched a few videos on stretching grill cloth, as well as a few on stretching canvas for painting, both of which I found instrumental. I also had to buy a new staple gun, my little JT21 wasn't powerful enough to sink a staple into the dense particle board.

Given that I'd never done this before, I fully expected to completely F it up the first time around and had mentally prepared for lots of staple pulling. Instead, I stunned even myself with the results, letting out a completely involuntary "WOW!" when I turned the frame over for the first time. Without further ado.......

(clip at the end)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Process:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Playing Agile bari LP with BKP Supermassive and Avedissian Night Prowler. Starting on my "clean" tone through a RAT, then cranking the preamp and master and adding Pharaoh and more RAT.

brrrrrrrrrrrrr

4Eyes, technomancer, Gmork and 7 others like this.
  2. Randy

Randy Tony Lazuto?! Super Moderator

Heeeeeell fucking yes.

wheresthefbomb likes this.
  3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

10/10

4. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Need more pics....and bigger please! :D

IK...I REALLY regret selling my minty L5.
    Nice score!

5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Now you need a Strat Elite with MDX, TBX, and Lace Sensor Golds. (Or just get a DG20, which I think is going for the same thing.)

6. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

That grill cloth looks awesome man, great resto!

7. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

Well done Sir. Please hear my applause.