Being "In the Mood" When Writing a Song?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by scottro202, Nov 1, 2010.

1. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

This could bring up a good discussion.

So, this weekend was kinda rough for me. I'm not going into details (you can go into off-topic and look at the love and relationships thread if you're curious enough :lol:). Last night, I got inspiration for writing a song about it all. That was when I was in a pretty down mood. Today, I'm in a good mood, and I was gonna work on the song, but couldn't bring myself to do it because I'm too damn content right now :lol:

Which brings me to my next point/question.

Is it hard for you to work on a song that portrays a certain mood if you're not in that mood anymore? Is being in the right mood (Read: a mood that's correlative to the specific song you're working on) important for your songwriting?

I was trying to figure out whether to put this in here or the Techniques/Theory section. Not sure. If it's wrong section, you mods know what to do :yesway:

2. Kidneythief

Kidneythief SS.org Regular

Hell yes all the time.

I read/heard somewhere that the real challenge is to write a song that conveys a specific mood. And when you are playing it make the audience believe that you are really meaning it.

On a different note, but almost similar:
    It's strange, before I met my girlfriend I used to be in the correct mood to write/come up with ideas. And now it's just somehow gone...all the anger and fustration. Now I'm trying to find other sources...like unemployment :wallbash:

3. C2Aye

C2Aye has the groove.

I find that it's lyrics I can't come up with if I'm not in a certain mood. Musically, I can churn out anything I pretty much feel like doing. And oddly enough, the music I write can often be the opposite of the mood I'm in. Good times :yesway:

4. nolow

nolow SS.org Regular

Well I reckon if you went through a list of your favourite songs, you will probably find out they are the sadder and darker songs (I know its like that for me, I connect more with the darker songs/albums/bands). You could guess what mood they were in when they write those songs, e.g was Kevin Moore in a good mood when he write Space Dye Vest, unlikely.

Personally, if I am in a bad mood, I will end up with quiet a dark riff. However, it also depends if I'm in my "zone". Seriously, there are times were I go for months writing shit material, then in a space of 2 hours I will write a dozen killer riffs, often reflecting my mood.

5. chucknorrishred

chucknorrishred SS.org Regular

yes, thats why, when i mess around writing songs, i try to finish as much as possible the day im writing it.

6. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

Well, my day went sour for the same reason my weekend went sour.

Guess who just finished a song??? :lol:

7. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

We had frost today, I need to proceed with writing requiem to ragweed :p. Needing emotion to write a song is a bit of a crutch though, and seeing as I write only to challenge myself, I never really take advantage of it.

8. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

well I obviously can't get myself to write depressing song when I'm really happy, but when I do want to continue working on a sad song (for example) and I'm not sad is try to think what dies the music have to do in order for me to feel the sadness that the song is supposed to portray. if that makes sense.
    I'm not really a happy person though, so no problem there I guess :lol:

9. 6Christ6Denied6

6Christ6Denied6 SS.org Regular

it is for me, so what i tend to do is listen to some influential music and start thinking about what put you in that mood in the first place, try to get back into that state of mind and continue working on it.

10. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

I have a film class every Wednesday that gets me depressed and intellectual. so I've been using that to my advantage. :lol:

I totally know what you mean, though. It's hard to write when you're content with your life. I haven't figured out how to break that yet.

11. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

Everything I write sounds sad, I can't for the life of me make a happy song even if I had won a billion dollars :lol:

12. DatM

DatM Active Member

An idea might come from being in a certain mood, but after that it doesn't make much of a difference for me...just that I'm feeling creative. It's more about trying to keep whatever original mood I started the song with. I like to think of it more as an "ambience" than a mood really.

One of my composition teachers talked about that once...basically saying that if beethoven or bach wrote based on what mood they were in, then all their pieces would be a schizophrenic mess that changes mood every couple bars.

13. EliNoPants

EliNoPants SS.org Regular

when i'm sleepy or bummed out, i tend to write pretty/mellow things, and when i'm in a good mood i tend to write heavy/thrashy stuff, but with either a more epic sense than thrash tends to have, or a more funky/jazzy sense than thrash tends to have, i think in the future as i progress as a musician and work things out more, it could form the groundwork of being "my style" where you can pick out all of the elements, but the overall thing is unique...at least i hope that's how it ends up, and not just being some shitty mishmash of stuff that makes people go "this is why those things haven't been combined before"

14. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

^ Likewise, if I'm sleepy I end up writing post-rock/proggy/experimental stuff but when I'm in a good mood and have energy I'll try to write death metal; or just practice.

15. Double A

Double A Subhuman

I find when I am in a bad mood that I have to be inspired and in a mood to be able to write. I was also at one point terribly depressed and I could not write AT ALL. Once I came out of that rough period of my life it was like I learned why I loved to play guitar all over again.

Moods do have an effect on my writing though. And that is basically why I have "project" songs and songs I write for my band. Project songs are songs I write emotionally usually it is spur of the moment stuff that I work on and record by myself, guitar only, sometimes many, many parts layered.

Songs I write for my band I tend to just think about the fret board and what I want to write and write that way. Sometimes they overlap like when I am angry and heavy riffs come out. But I try to keep it separate because with my band I am going for a certain sound and my project songs just come out how they come out.

16. blister7321

blister7321 SS.org Regular

for me it depends on how much of the lyrics i got done before the mood died
    if i got at least a verse and 1/2 a chorus done im good i can channel that back

thats the way the singer in my side project is tho if hes in a mood to write one song he has to stay in that mood
    and it kills him cuz to stay in the mood for the songs hes been working on hes gotta go back to a point in his life that is somewhere no one should ever be in

17. B36arin

B36arin SS.org Regular

It depends... I've been trying quite hard lately to learn how to write even when I'm not "in the mood", I see it as a huge advantage to be able to produce good music even if you're not extremely inspired. I'm having a tough time with it though, I still work much, much better when I'm inspired, but the gap is slowly closing. But when I get inspired it doesn't matter which mood I'm in, I'll write the type of music that I want to, and it doesn't always portray my mood at that time. I can be ecstatic and write a slow doom song. I usually try to write whole songs and not just riffs, when I get a good idea I usually won't have a problem with finishing the song.

The only time that my mood affects my playing is when I'm REALLY pissed(which is pretty rare). When I'm in that kind of mood I play death metal without any real purpose and pick really, really hard :lol: I still haven't learned how to channel those feelings into writing songs.