Being Direct (cultural norm)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bostjan, Jan 5, 2018.

1. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Reminds me of that meme basically going “ask your girl to guess where you’re going to eat, and whatever she says, you always say ‘how’d you know?!’” :lol:

2. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Double post

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Haha, that's genius!

4. boozeislove

boozeislove SS.org Regular

I have found it is far easier to just say "we are going eating X place" and thats it.Headache evaded.

About being direct i dont think everybody is like that,here in eastern Europe you can get both kinds,but we do get mostly down to busines immediately.I personaly feel very bad if i start with a chatter even though i want something from the person,i feel almost hypocrite.

5. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

Depends on the industry and the context of the conversation. For instance, I just got hired by a law firm in the Southern USA (I'm NOT a lawyer so don't ask me for legal advice, you heathens :lol: ), and the interviews were riddled with small talk that had more to do with me as a person then my abilities as a paralegal (while that was certainly touched on too, they made a point to ask me which college football team I root for). I imagine this is mostly because they saw my resume and references, and wanted to know that I was more than just good grades in college and that I was somebody that they would like to generally be around (and that I'm not a pesky Auburn fan....).

On the flipside, our emails to each other are very straightforward. I imagine this is because I will be working with lawyers that are billed by the hour and don't have time to write an email about my first day of work AND the results of the College Football National Championship (but there are lots of Bama fans at the firm, this was made very clear to me early on :lol: :lol: ).

People like to work with people they like to be around. If that means a little bit of pointless small talk, then so be it. It's also the south so we always address a group of people with a friendly "How ya'll doing?"