Being a Metalhead without long hair

Reaction score
Couldn't find a better place to discuss this than here.

Short (Not hair) story is that I've had long hair for about 15 years in my life. Being a guitar player and singer, I think I had benefitted from having long hair to build a good image on stage, pictures, etc.

Thing is since last year I've had short hair. Last year, a good job opportunity came and I didn't hessitate a second in having my hair cut. It's true that's been a long time since I have short hair now, but I feel I miss it. This year I left that job and since then I've left my hair to grow. Still not long hair, but not as short as it was.

It had been a long time since my band didn't play live, and this year we went back to the stage. Now, me and my drummer didn't have long hair, and I felt an important part of the show was missing. I know it's all about attitude, but having short hair definitely makes it harder. Perhaps is easier for people who are well-built, or that can shave their heads and not look like an Alien.

I'm 32 years old now, and gotta start looking for a job again. My girl insists that I should shave my goat beard, and I feel it's time too that I get used to going to a hair dresser.

I know most of the responses will be that it's all in the attitude, but definitely looking a guy moving his head with long hair or having beard scores some points when it comes to the show.

I'm not a kid anymore, so unless my music/band provided me the money I live, I know I have to depend on the real world, work, and somehow not to go against the flow in the town I live in.

I think that with the proper attitude on stage, I wouldn't have the need for long hair. Besides, it makes it easier to play the guitar (The hair with sweat covered my face sometimes), it's more comfortable (it is), and it could help me to get a job faster (which means more gear).

What do you guys think?

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
I'm a bald metalhead (lost my hair to chemo for malignant melanoma), so I personally think it's attainable, but some others here don't tend to agree...

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
My band's singer used to have long hair and jumped around on stage like a maniac. He cut his hair about two months ago: now he jumps around like a maniac but he can see where he's jumping :yesway:

Don Vito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know 2 metal/rock guys in their 50's with successful careers, and still have long ratty hair. One of them is my step who works a translation related job. He looks like Lemmy, but less froggy. Another guy works for some subsidiary company of Google.

Headbanging certainly isn't in your favor :rofl:

Carver

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
Reaction score
ive been pretty much bald for about 2 years, and before that i had dreads to my waiste. it was a strange transition,.. if anything people tell me i look more angry when i play now because i dont have a birds nest floating around me.

besides, any style of music that requires you to have a certain hat or a certain hair cut in order to be a part of it regardles of your skill... is a stupid stupid scene.. filled with nothing but scene kids, aiming for an image.. you can have your cloting, your trends and your scene, i will just focus on being me.

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
This area was covered by S.O.D. in the 80's. Words to live by.

UNITED FORCES

It doesn't matters how you wear your hair
It's what inside your head
United Forces stand for all strong and fair
Black, white and yellow and red

UNITED (forces) UNITED (forces) UNITED

Skinheads and bangers and punks stand as one
Crossover to a final scene
United forces and their job won't be done
Until the world can see

No rednecks, no jocks, no macho bullshit attitudes
United forces can't be stopped
No rednecks, no jocks, no macho bullshit attitudes
United forces can't be stopped

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I was the only one in my band with long hair...and it wasn't even that long.

My other guitarist had an Afro.... How metal is that? :lol:

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
3054961591_0bc59a4bc9.jpg

rammstein.jpg

Periphery-2013-560x372.jpg

999546_10151686853166011_607994974_n.jpg

165970-deftones-group-have-reunited-with-producer-nick-raskulinecz1.jpg

Metal isn't in the hair or the attitude. It's in the genuine emotion you convey with well crafted music. You want to connect with your audience? Stop banging your head and twirling your hair, and look them right in the eyes. Make someone's night by making your show about them.

The Grief Hole

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Rob Halford, kerry King, Devin Townsend, Phil Anselmo, Crowbar. The list goes on.
Personally have short hair and we are doing the live rounds in Tokyo. SOD got it right. Its the passion that counts.

xzyryabx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do what I did:
Cut my hair for the job interview, grew it back once I got the job!!
Goatees don't seem to go down very well in the corp world though......

Reaction score
Great comments around.

Yeah, well, last year it was real good because I went to the interview and it was my decision to cut my hair after I got the job. Thing was I was going to work in the mountain, at 4,700 meters high, temperatures below zero celcius, and 12 hour shifts. Of course, I didn't have time to take care of my hair or wait until it was dry after a shower, for example.

It's all attitude, but something you can deny is that it looks freaking cool when a band/audience moves their long hair around. And yeah, no way I'm shaving my head cause headbanging that way definitely looks like a moving dick hahah

pink freud

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't miss having long hair. It was getting old having hair blow into my mouth at the slightest amount of wind.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Devin Townsend too.

Don't shave the beard. The beard is metal as .....