Behringer's Such a Shitty Company

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by narad, Mar 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I don't know who the guy they're mocking is, but is he like really outwardly Jewish or something? Making Kosher pedals blessed by the rabbi? I guess I'm not familiar with the situation, but without context, I kinda feel you guys are stretching to see the antisemitism. Is Kirn even a Jewish last name? I've never met anyone named Kirn.

I think it's pretty unfair that Jews must be immediately associated with absolutely any and every rendition of a large nose. Some Jews have normal sized noses, you know. And there are plenty of gentiles rockin a monster ass ski slope face.

I'm usually pretty quick to call out racism when I see it... but I don't see it. I didn't listen to the audio in that video though, in case that's where the racism was?

Is it petty to mock someone who calls you out instead of taking the high road? Sure, I can agree with that.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  2. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

You sure are the thing between two buttcheeks.
    (I didn't call you an asshole, stop projecting bro!)

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This is like trying to explain the difference between coincidence and irony to 3rd grader. :lol:

mlp187, r33per, USMarine75 and 17 others like this.
  4. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

It was a joke and Behringer apologized because so many people felt winy about it - which unfortunately is a very common thing these days. Behringer is a company like any other and has this dispute ongoing with Kirn (who is also a "special" character) since ages. Take it easy and don't make a mountain out of a molehill...

5. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

The article even mentions the anti-Semitic trope. As a German, you'd think you would be familiar with this. Did they stop teaching the Holocaust or did you stop listening?

[​IMG]

USMarine75, Hollowway and sirbuh like this.
  6. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Judging by your pic, you sure are a person who hates gay people.
    (I didn't call you homophobic, but your profile pic projects as much)

7. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Probably not directly hate so much be completely clueless as to why most people don't use "gay" as negative term for the last....20 years or so, at least. Hate and ignorance are good friends, though.

Nicki likes this.
  8. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Quit over-reacting guys, there isn't even a hook in that nose.

Viginez, Exchanger, Solodini and 3 others like this.
  9. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Anti-Semitic propaganda used a toooootally different graphical approach. Very funny that Germans get accused of anti-semitism no matter what they do - that crap was never mentioned in any German article about this topic. And just for the record, I'm drinking an anti-semitic coffee while I'm writing this post on my anti-semitic smartphone. Which is actually from China, but you know ZEE GERMANS...

10. ArtDecade

You are wrong.

11. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Prove it.

12. ArtDecade

Do a Google Image search for German Anti-Semitic Illustrations and enjoy your history lesson. Your personal history lesson.

USMarine75 and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.
  13. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Go ahead and provide a picture that's similar to the one in the OP. Feel free to send it via PM if you're worried about being branded a Nazi by Max.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

15. MaxOfMetal

*sigh*

If I say an ESP Eclipse looks like a Les Paul, am I calling it a Gibson?

16. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

I didn't even have to look at that graphic for one second to realize the antisemitic connotation

@Sogradde - willfully ignorant, or trolling bootlicker?

17. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Just that it looks like one!

Nah, man. I get your point. There were almost certainly some 1930s German cartoonists who were not sympathetic with the Nazi movement but still may have doodled using the same popular graphic motifs as the actually antisemitic Nazi propaganda artists. Hell, there were probably also some 1930s German cartoonists that were antisemitic but still did not identify with the Nazi party for other political reasons.

18. MaxOfMetal

And it does look like one to many folks.

That's the point. That it looks really bad, regardless of what the actual intent was.

I think @Fred the Shred put it the best, that even a passing resemblance to something pretty well known and awful is a bad look, and while I doubt Uli Behringer is a neo-Nazi, he should be smart enough to realize this was a stupid thing to do and would have the potential to draw comparisons to a very dark part of his country's history.

If you don't see it, that's fine. If you don't feel like clicking a couple links to get some context, that's also fine.

19. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Jokes is definitely in poor taste but from the looks of it, Peter does an extremely bad job any time a Behringer product hits his desk. The cork sniffer stuff makes sense because it looks like he doesn't even review the product in question and recommends vastly more expensive (new or price inflated vintage gear) instead.

It would be obnoxious to send a guy over a dozen synths for reviews, only for him to not ever bother actually reviewing the product. I can see how they finally got fed up... so fed up with they did this bizarre and #problematic little campaign here. Extremely poor judgment but hey.

Things I know for sure #1 yeah sure Behringer makes copies but they do a very good job of it and bring great tones to reasonable price points #2 synths are hilariously overpriced and vintage synths are complete garbage, so hopefully Behringer keeps doing what they're doing and ignores the snobs. TBH I would expect some of these guys are getting mad at Behringer releases because it tanks the resale value of gear they already own.

avandarcs and Ataraxia2320 like this.
  20. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Is the guy they are making fun of Jewish? From the cork sniffing stuff, all the mention of wine, and the faux French accent, I thought the guy must be French. I thought the long nose was for sniffing that row of corks but maybe I'm reading too much into it. I don't know the guy they are making fun of and I don't know what the beef is between them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.