Behringer pb600 Pedalboard (and all other pedalboards)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by guitarfan85, Nov 12, 2014.

1. guitarfan85

guitarfan85 Banned

Hi I'm thinking of getting powered pedal board for my pedals. Has anyone used the Behringer pb600. Any gripes about it? I read that the patch cables that come with it are really crappy but I plan on switching them out anyways. I will be using it for band practice and hopefully playing shows soon. It would be my first time playing out so Im not looking for the best pedalboard money can buy. I'm just looking for something GOOD.

Any other suggestions? I'd like to hear your experiences and opinions on that particular pedal board or any pedal board in general. Thanks.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I have this and its big brother.
    I removed all the foam from it and made a line 6 floor controller fit perfectly so its now a great carry case.

The patch cables work fine at least for me. But i did have 2 noise gates and a 3rd built into my amp.

For me its the best one for its job. And like i said it was also cheap enough to customise when i went pod hd pro route and didnt need pedals anymore and used it for a lockable carry case for the pods foot controller

3. guitarfan85

guitarfan85 Banned

Cool sounds good. There's a used one for about $90 I'm thinking about getting. Although right now I have 4 pedals and I don't plan on getting anymore even though this board can hold 6. So I'm not sure if I should go smaller or who knows maybe I'll get more in the future but I don't plan on it right now

4. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

You want something done right, you gotta do it yourself. Some strips of MDF, screws, and extra wide velcro tape.

5. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

^ That. All damn day long.

Protip: Find a decent padded keyboard bag that would fit all your pedals and build a board to fit inside the bag. Boom. Carrying case taken care of also.

6. guitarfan85

guitarfan85 Banned

I suppose I can build my own. But how do I make it powered with individual inputs so I don't have a thousand 9v power adapter wires all over the place? Where do i get these wood pieces cut to size? I'm not the most handy guy and have no table or circular saw.

7. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Many lumber stores cut boards to size for you.

As far as power, it really depends on what pedals you have. For example if you have a boss TU2 tuner and a couple other low draw pedals you can power the TU2 and daisy chain from it to the remaining pedals. A multi power unit like a pedal power pro is a second option. If your pedals are more specialized then you might have to go with a couple wall warts plugged into a power strip and tucked under the board.

8. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

I have a couple pedal cases from Rondomusic, work great. A 1spot and some zipties would solve the power issue, IMO.

9. UV7BK4LIFE

This video should answer all your questions.

Find a (keyboard)bag or storage case first, then build the board to size. Cables go under the board and excess cable can be bundled with tie-wraps. DIY stores/markets can cut pretty much anything to any size for you.

10. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Definitely build your own board in this case. You'll be able to buy the materials for peanuts, then you can use the rest of your budget for bulk cable and connectors to make patch cables exactly how long you need, then a solid (but cheap) power supply like a 1-Spot pack with the 8-pedal daisy chain

11. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

I'd worry about ground loops and noise if you're daisy chaining pedals off of the 9v output.

12. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Should be zero worry of ground loops. Noise would depend on the specific pedals, for example some delays hate being chained. But if it is going to be a MT2 and a phaser or whatever then a $6 daisy cable compared to $20 for a 1-spot that still just daisy chains them is a more sensible option to try first.

13. UV7BK4LIFE

If you're using an adapter, get the plain old red Boss PSA adapter unless your pedals are extremely power hungry. If power hungry pedals, get something like a Voodoo Labs power supply with isolated multiple outputs. Either aforementioned power supply can handle daisy chains like a champ.

I have a 1Spot too, one died on me after zapping me twice and the second one doubles as a white noise generator. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

14. mag8

mag8 SS.org Regular

Fwiw,

I have the Behringer PB600, and I find it quite good. I too needed something cheap to get me started with pedals, and I was looking either at that or the Boss one (the one that looks similar, forgot the model).

The pb600 is a very well made and engineered piece of plastic, the only problem i found is the power supply. It is cheap and noisy. I found the daisy chain cables to be ok, but the power brick was below standard. I replaced it with another cheapo one from china (3 eur on ebay) and i already noticed an improvement.
    The patch cables are ok, of course you can find better, but they do the trick.

I like that the pb600 has the inputs organized in such a nice and neat way, plus it's very light (but sturdy). Take away the foam padding to get some more room. I have only one pedal that fits in the little shapes in the foam so there was no point.

After I bought the pb600 my pod x3 live failed, so I had its empty bag lying around, and I went ahead building the ikea pedalboard thing. I like them both, but the PB600 is great value for money. You get:
    a sturdy case
    a base for your pedals
    patch cables
    power supply
    daisy chain cables
    a nice cable management system

and nice input/output ports.

Of course you can get the same stuff if you buy individual items, but to get you started the pb is great. I paid mine around 60eur