Behringer FCB1010 setup for Nueral DSP

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by guitar_player4_2_0, Apr 24, 2021.

1. guitar_player4_2_0

guitar_player4_2_0 SS.org Regular

So I just got a Behringer FCB1010 and apparently I had no idea what was involved in the setup. I’m trying to use it with the Gojira Archetype to do preset changes, turn stomp boxes on and off, and use the expression pedals for whammy and volume. I’ve never used midi before and the manual gave basically no information. First I think I need to program the buttons to each send the right kind of signal. I don’t even know how to program the pedal, and some things I was seeing were saying something about needing an updated chip for certain applications. Neural did a couple setup videos but they skipped a bunch. Has anyone used this combo and gotten it to work? The FCB1010 seems to be pretty popular. For reference this is what I’m using, interface and pedal plugged into a MacBook via usb. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2S53RQ/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...wGtHVWhRzVJB_13JDaRoCfkkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...MChKSKhDjbDC0rz2oEh8bKqrwKdEWNrRoCmLsQAvD_BwE

2. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

I'm very curious how this works out for you. I've been thinking about doing this. Only reason I'm hesitant is that I don't want to take a lap top every time I jam.

3. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The FCB1010 is kind of annoying to program from the device itself so try one of the computer editors available. I used the Ripwerx one but I am not sure if that only works if you have the UnO chip in it. Maybe try one of these:
    Otherwise the things you need to do:
    1. Make sure your DAW or VST Host or standalone app is configured to accept MIDI from your MIDI to USB device.
    2. Set the DAW/VST host/app to receive MIDI using channel 1 or omni (all channels)
    3. Make sure your FCB1010 is set to transmit on channel 1 or omni. This is usually the default.
    4. Make sure the plugin is configured to respond to MIDI as well on the same channel and device in case it needs to be configured separately.
    At this point hopefully the basic functionality, namely changing presets, works. Pressing switches should send program change (PC) messages that would change between different presets.

For using things like the expression pedal, you have to use continuous control (CC) messages that send a value between 0-127. So for example 64 would be the expression pedal halfway up its travel if it has a linear curve. Then you need to map that value to a setting in the plugin. This might be an option inside the plugin or a generic setup within the DAW/VST host/app.

c7spheres likes this.
  4. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

I've did something similar with my Morningstar Engineering MC3. Here are my :2c:

Firstly - think of what and how would you like to control in Neural DSP plugin - whether just switching different presets, or something like scene mode, where you'd switch different things by pressing single switch (not sure if FCB1010 is supporting sending multiple messages assigned to one switch) or something like stomp mode where you assign different effects from plugjn to their dedicated switches. I have different banks set up on my controller, either for stomp or scene modes, every bank loads a plugin FX chain, which it controls, in my DAW.

Then check for what functions you can create midi mapping in Neural DSP plugin, select those you need and assign midi messages to them. When you have midi mapping created, program your midi controller to send messages in a way you want to control your Neural plugin.

It takes a lot of forward thinking and planning, unless you want to program your controller and change midi mapping couple of times. Unfortunately, I can't help your with programing FCB1010 itself.

One more thing, not sure how is it in other DAWs, but in Reaper, in order to get Neural to accept midi mesages from controller, I had to create separate track which has input set as my MIDI controller, then create a send with midi to a track with Neural DSP plugin

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  5. guitar_player4_2_0

Thanks for the input, appreciate the reply’s. So basically I’ll download the editor and that will allow me to set what switches send which kind of changes without having to do all the programming nonsense from the unit? That seems much easier! I’ll try that after work in the next day or two, this is making more sense now. Thanks!

I’m trying to use the standalone right now only, to be honest I don’t even know how to set up a track yet or anything. I’ve messed with reaper a few years ago, but I don’t remember anything and I’m gonna have to basically start from zero again. I do want to get some recording going after I’ve figured out how to use the plugin and controller. I saw a video where a guy was using the FCB1010 to control his DAW, that looked pretty cool, but that’s a bit beyond where I’m currently at also.

6. guitar_player4_2_0

I’ve been messing with this for a week and it’s giving me nightmares. I’m using the mountain manager software. First, each preset can send 5 different pc messages. So I just use one and leave the rest blank? If that’s the case which one of the five do I use? Does it matter? I’m trying to program preset 41 to be pc change 40 like the guy on the neural dsp video and it’s not working. I manually set the channels to be the same. I also tried manually setting pc change 40 to preset 41 from the pedal and it didn’t work.
    If I can’t even get simple preset changes to work I’m not looking forward to trying to control the whammy with the expression pedal. Is it just me or is midi stuff ridiculously hard to program? Like I feel like you have to be pretty tech savvy to really dive into this stuff. It is not straightforward or intuitive at all.

7. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

do you have your DAW set to accept Midi control messages? or is your Midi device enabled in Neural standalone? if you have everything set up like in the tutorial, it may be some stupid thing like your DAW or Standalone app not set to accept your MIDI device

8. guitar_player4_2_0

I’m using the standalone. It is set up to receive midi from the usb midi cable going to the fcb. I know I have it set to the PC changes I want because when I manually set them they were already set to what I had put into the manager. So I know the pedal is working and getting and receiving signals.

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have used the mntsys software with mine and it worked well. I used it to control an Axe-FX, and had it changing presets on some buttons, and turn on and off effects on others.

I would say if you are changing it in the software, make sure you transmit your changes to the pedal. Just changing it in the software doesnt change it in the pedal instantly. You have to write your changes to the pedal.

http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm

Its been awhile, but yeah, I think you select the footswitch on the pedal picture, and then chose what you want it to do with the checkboxes below. You would only select 1 program change, and uncheck the others. So, you select the button picture at the top, check PC 40, then I think you either write sysex, or transmit sysex. Whichever sends it to the pedal permanently.

Then, for example, you could select the picture for button 6, uncheck PC so they are all off, and check control change instead. Select the CC# for Chorus for example, and then the value would be 127. Then, under the second control change, enter the same CC#, and then the value would be 0. I think that is how you set up to make it toggle the effect on and off when you select button 6. Again, transmit to the pedal.

I remember it being easy once you got the hang of it. The main thing was to leave everything unchecked except for the one thing you want that button to do.

I wouldnt say MIDI is hard. It just takes some knowledge on what things are. Imagine trying to use a TV remote if you didn't know what channels were, or what volume does. You would be lost. You just have to learn what these things are to use them effectively.

10. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

The first thing I'd try is to confirm that midi interface you're using is actually doing it's job. I've had these inexpensive ones and half the time they don't work, or only work strictly for note messages, or have a super slow baud rate which means it's can't process the data fast enough or multiple messages at once.
    - The way to confirm it's actually working is with a program such as MidiOx (not sure if it's available for Mac, but something like this program is good)
    - Basically it let's you select the midi devices and monitor the input and output messages, manage .sysex files etc. You launch that program, select your midi device from the input devices menu and select the monitor the input option. Push the button on the Behringer and it should stream a bunch of data the looks like the Matrix scrolling down the screen. It will stay there and you can physically see what messages are actually going through that port.
    - Once you know the midi interface is working then you can focus on interfacing it with the program to control. These inexpensinve midi interfaces are hit or miss so hopefully you have a good one. Just seeing the light blink on it as getting data is not enough. I use a basic M-Audio Midi Sport for this stuff and it works great. I'm not sure if it's compatible with Mac or not though.

Edit: apparently MidiOX and the MidiSport 2x2 do work with certain versions of Mac.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  11. guitar_player4_2_0

Thanks so much for the helpful reply’s. I think now I might need a new cable. The one I had wouldn’t light up for a while, now it’s working again but I’m not sure how well. When I transmit changes to the pedal the light blinks on the cable/interface but not on the actual fcb1010, which the mountain softwares says the actual unit light should blink. I’m thinking I’ll order a new cable and see if that helps. The one I got was recommended to me on here but it does seem pretty cheap compared to the others. This is what I’m using and what I plan on getting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KVSK9Z9/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

Plan to get this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMOneMk2--roland-um-one-mk2-usb-midi-interface

I want to add even though the light one the unit didn’t blink it did seem to send the changes to the unit because they were saved already when I manually overwrote them.

Also, when programming a PC change does it matter which one I use? Or can it be any 1-5 as long as I’m only using one and the others are unchecked?

12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

When I was programming mine I found I had a dead MIDI cable too, lol. I thought my Intellifex was broken.

I will also say, right out of the box, the FCB1010 should at least select programs. It should select 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.... up through all the banks. If it isn't doing that, then something is killing the signal to the computer.

13. t1337Dude

t1337Dude SS.org Regular

I'm assuming you already watched this?

14. jjcor

jjcor SS.org Regular

host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/IdiotsGuide.htm

So I was having issues as well with mine and came across this website. I read it and it lined right up with my midi. I just have yet to figure out how to offset the fcb PC# so they line up with neural. Example PC#49 on fcb is #50 in neural.

rexbinary likes this.
  15. guitar_player4_2_0

Finally returned the Amazon cable and got the Roland one. I still don’t think the fcb1010 is communicating with my computer. The UM-ONE shows up in the plug-in, but from the fcb1010 manager I can’t send the programs to the pedal. Do I need to upgrade to that uno chip or whatever? I’m getting very frustrated with everything, this is ridiculous. This seems insanely complicated to simply switch a couple presets and use an expression pedal. I’m using an older MacBook with OSX 10.13 but everything seems to run fine on it. I’ve scoured every forum and internet video I can find and I’m about ready to light this stuff on fire.

16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Are you sure you are plugging it in correctly? Midi IN to Midi Out and vice versa? By default with no programming the FCB will select presets. You don't need a special chip.

I just used an old Presonus 22VSL and Windows 10 when I did it.

laxu likes this.
  17. Juan Ibarra

Juan Ibarra SS.org Regular

Ok i know i am late to this, but i watched this youtube video and gpt neural to work on it including switching presets and the whammy

I just got my fcb on friday and set it up yesterday in under an hour thanks to this video.

I would like to be able to use it in my daws (ableton or reaper) but havent made it that far. Came here looking for help with the daws but i was told to try rhe same thing as mentioned above with the MidiOx. Gonna try that this week. Alsobwas tols about the midi track forwarded to audio in reaper but just read about that today as well. Wish me luck and i hope this helps you !

18. guitar_player4_2_0

Just noticed this. Honestly the last summer I’ve been super busy, bought a house and switched jobs, then went back to school. I haven’t had much time to mess with this, but I’ll definitely check this out on my next day off. Thanks!

Juan Ibarra likes this.