Beer Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Grand Moff Tim, Oct 16, 2010.

1. SilenceIsACrime

SilenceIsACrime Indeed.

Dude, Tim, I am BASing so hard you wouldn't even believe it. Really intrigued by both you mentioned and pretty certain I will snag either if I can ever find them.

Also - totally bought two of the official Delirium glasses (complete with pink elephants) so I can enjoy my Tremens/Nocturnum to the fullest :D

2. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

Fat Tire Ale is delicious, and Blue Moon Belgian White is delicious.

3. SilenceIsACrime

SilenceIsACrime Indeed.

I tried this for the first time yesterday:

[​IMG]

I quite enjoyed it! It is strong for sure, but it doesn't become harsh from it. Was quite smooth, in fact. Pretty intense flavor, though I admit I am not versed enough in the ways of the beers that I could tell you what exactly this flavor consisted of (I will say that I noticed a very mocha-like aftertaste; more so than I found in a beer *claiming* to be a mocha porter).

All in all - would drink again.

4. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

You know, I've heard alot of hype surrounding Old Rasputin, and I never quite "got it." It's a great beer, to be sure, but it's neither the best stout nor the best imperial I've had. That said, however, if you see the 12th anniversary Old Rasputin, get it or regret it for the rest of your life. It's some good stuff.

[​IMG]

If I may be so bold, though, I recommend trying Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, if you want a flavorful Imperial Stout with a respectable ABV. It's a Chicago brew so I don't know if it's commonly available out there in NV, but if you like Old Rasputin, you'll LOVE this.

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

Alright, Tim got me. I'm going to start cataloging the beers I drink here, along with some photographic supplement, courtesy of my cheap digital camera. These pictures were shot in 3B: three beers, and it's looking good, eh.

[​IMG]

First up is the Ninkasi Total Domination IPA.

[​IMG]

Better sense of the color here, but I had to do this without flash, so it's way blurry.

[​IMG]

This will be the second time I've had this beer, so I know it's delicious, but I'll approach it as objectively as possible.

It pours very smoothly. There is only a tiny bit of white head that pretty much stays put. The color is a cloudy amber. No bubbles here, this is ale territory.

The nose is very fruity on account of the hops. Think apricots and grapefruit. I also detect bread. Alcohol is imperceptible to the nose.

The hops are immediately apparent upon taste. It is bitter, but balanced. It quickly fades into whatever it is that I taste when I have Arizona lemon iced tea; some sort of maltiness. The finish lingers with some bitterness and herbiness from the hops (think sage), the taste of grapefruit, and what I describe as 'nutty', but that's probably not what everybody else thinks of the taste I'm thinking of. The acidity is apparent - I'm salivating quite a bit. Sweetness is also present in the initial tasting, but succumbs to more earthy flavors midway.

Fans of IPA's such as Stone's Arrogant Bastard may find this to be quite different than what they are accustomed to. It is more balanced than bold. On the other hand, it is more bold than the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. Sort of a middle ground. It is definitely not watery, but not overly potent, either. You can smell it from across the room, nonetheless. The feel is not very heavy. I would have this on a hot summer's day (like today) and save the Belgian abbey ales for a different season (and I do love my Belgians :yum:).

Grand Moff Tim likes this.
  6. SilenceIsACrime

SilenceIsACrime Indeed.

Sir, you are my new best friend. :yesway:

7. chronocide

chronocide Total Grind Hell

One of those BrewDog (Welcome to the craft beer revolution | Craft Beer | BrewDog) pubs has just opened in Glasgow. I'm tempted to go in for novelty but I fear it'll be extortionately priced, with all their trendy, gimmicky 45% beers and whatnot.

Still, I'm inclined to have a taste, and I'm never going to bother to order any online. Anyone ever bought any of their stuff?

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

9. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

As much as I dislike the company for various reasons, the bars are pretty cool. The Edinburgh one is generally pretty busy but it's a small place so that means that there aren't actually very many people. Fewer people=fewer arseholes.

Drinks are reasonably priced. A fair few are sold in half/third of pints as they'd be very expensive otherwise and these units allow them to charge the usual sort of price for a drink, as long as you're not thinking dive bar change. Small quantities are also helpful for trying things as a lot of them (5am Saint, for example) are nice as a half but a pint would be too rich, like chocolate cake.

The staff are very knowledgeable about the guest ales, as well as their own beers. They will happily recommend a Mikkeler or somesuch above one of their own if you ask for their recommendation for a particular taste/style.

Worth a try, certainly. BTW, sorry I didn't make it to your gig at Sneaky Pete's. We've just moved lately and money has been really tight.

10. chronocide

chronocide Total Grind Hell

No bother at all, it was pretty busy, if somewhat disorganised haha.

Cool, I'll nip in and have a look at some point. I did walk past the Edinburgh one but had no time to stop for a jar.

11. Soopahmahn

Soopahmahn Tu ne cede malis

Anything and everything made by Three Floyds.

12. Beowulf Von Thrashmeister

Beowulf Von Thrashmeister SS.org Regular

I have few suggestions for good beer ...

Newcastle Brown Ale (the best beer on the planet)

Hobgoblin

Ruddles

:)

13. mhenson42

mhenson42 SS.org Regular

Deschutes Hop In The Dark:yesway:

14. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

Tried this one a couple of days ago.

Redwood Coast Brewing Company - Ménage à Singe (or Menage a Singe; they apparently don't heed the accents from the original language).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made for the Tied House Café and Brewery in San Jose, California, this black IPA has a dark reddish brown hue and a tan head. Not very foamy. Transparent.

The nose indicates pretty much what this beer is: piney, grapefruity hops, but not too fruity, and strong coffee notes from the roasted malts.

As far as taste goes, there is an initial bold hoppiness, as is characteristic of an IPA, followed by a big roasted coffee taste, on the bitter side, then more coffee and a trace of bitter hops in the aftertaste. The bottle has the APV described as 8%, but you wouldn't be able to tell.

This beer, to me, was good at what it was, but nothing to write home about. Certain aspects of it reminded me of the North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, but with less gravity and complexity. The main characteristic I got from this beer was bitterness, from the hops to the malts. Hardly any sweetness or fruitiness to be found here, spare for some bitter grapefruit that hangs out in the background.

15. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Franziscaner Weissbeer. Epic flavour and a lovely aftertaste

Grimburgen Triple. Nice full flavour but not too overpowering.

I tend to prefer Weissbier myself :)

Oh and Spanish beers are dishwater. I cannot stand the shit that they call beer over there

16. sell2792

sell2792 SS.org Regular

Anyone have a good recommendation for a good fall beer? The Sam Adams Pumpkin and Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale sound good, but I know theirs gotta be something better.

17. SilenceIsACrime

SilenceIsACrime Indeed.

Unfortunately I can't speak from experience, but my local booze shop said they got four cases of the Dogfish Head Punkin Ale and it all sold out in less than two days. Must be scrumptious?

18. Guitarman700

Guitarman700 SS.org Regular

19. threebrain

threebrain Member

Had the BM Pumpkin Ale last weekend which was good stuff. Have you had any Oktoberfest? Sam Adams has been my fav the past few years, but St. Arnolds may take the lead this year (it's an Austin, TX brewery so may not distribute in your area though).

^^^I heard the same regarding DFH Pumpkin Ale..can't wait to try it.

20. sell2792

sell2792 SS.org Regular

I've read that Dogfish is regarded as the best but as far as I know only Blue Moon and Sam Adams are available here, and other than Boston lager I haven't tried any other S. Adams beers.