Because I actually play bass really...

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Mikey D, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D Well-Known Member

Just a quick video of cell playing ala Jerry Bergonzi's teaching method using this new fangled 4 finger technique!

Thought I would give it a go now that I have put a couple of months into learning to use four fingers and being a bit more comfortable on my Ibanez Fretless.

Note to self: Memorise changes next time so you don't have to read them!

Any questions or flames appreciated...although I now the sound isn't best quality, that is something I need to find a better way to do on my mac.

Youtube, come and get your youtubes here...

Mastodon, Groff and distressed_romeo like this.
  2. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Cool video...the right hand technique's a lot like classical tremolo, similar to the way Dominique DiPiazza plays (only he uses a thumb pick). By 'cell' playing, I'm guessing you're refering to using little four-note melodic cells to highlight each change? Shaun Baxter wrote an article on that for Guitar Techniques, only he reffered to them as 'tetrachords'.

3. Mikey D

Cheers, yeah they can also be called tetrachords, but people like Brecker (RIP), Patitucci, Bergonzi etc call them cells-just something I started working on and wanted to put a new video up so thought why not.

I was actually fortunate enough to have a week of lessons with Dominique a few weeks ago...absolutely ridiculous player. Probably the best player I have ever witnessed. His knowledge of Harmony is also way up there. I took quite a bit away from the lessons, which i am obviously going to be working on for a long time. His command of rhythm is also just stupid.

He actually uses his fingers without the picks probably more than with picks. However he doesn't use his "up yours" finger that much at all, he just goes TI or TR or TIR. He told quite a funny story about how he started using the picks...

It turns out he said he would do quite a big gig once on guitar, but he didn't actually play guitar very well at all, but he just assumed it would all be ok. The gig got near and so tried his technique on it, which didn't work cause his fingers were too fat! panic-then he had the idea of trying picks which meant he could keep his technique and transfer it to guitar. Then he just tuned the guitar up in all 4ths! :) ha Nobody noticed.

4. distressed_romeo

5. distressed_romeo

This thread inspired me to listen to the John McLaughlin Trio's 'Que Allegria' album again last night. Pure awesomeness. Worth the price for Dominique's bass solo alone.:yesway:

6. distressed_romeo

Hey Mikey, I've just been experimenting with the 'cells' approach to 'Giant Steps' and something's really starting to click; it's making it ten times easier to visualise the changes on the fretboard, so thanks for that video!:yesway:

7. Groff

Groff Medicine Chief/RHLC© Contributor

That video was awesome! Thanks!

8. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Very cool video. It's just that the volume on that bass was so low that it was hard to hear.

9. Mikey D

Hey

I am going to do a new version as I have sorted out the sound/video problem and it is much clearer. Also I have had a few people asking for a more indepth explaination, I'll also go a bit further for the people that find this too easy. I'll keep you updated! The good news is it is a concept you can apply to any tune, even as a guitarist! ;)