BCR Steve Smyth 7 / Roland GK Install

spacecadet23

Southern Djentleman
Reaction score
Does anybody in the forum own a Steve Smyth 7? I'm interested in how big the gap is between the bridge pickup and the floyd. I'm wanting to purcahse one with the intent of installing a Roland GK pickup (before anybody gets to correcting me, I realize that I'll only be able to track the top six strings). The GK width (or length depending on how you look at it) according to the spec sheet, is 7.8mm. If the GK option doesn't work I'll have to move to graphtech for a solution, I just don't feel like milling the floyd to ensure that the piezo wires are concealed.

:shred: Jay

spacecadet23

Southern Djentleman
Reaction score
To anybody who is following this thread, dime got back to me last night with the measurement. The gap is around 1/4 inch (~6.35mm). Roland recommends at least 8mm for proper GK placement. I suggest that if anybody else is thinking about doing a hex install on the Smyth 7 contact shotgunn and he'll hook you up with the Graphtech alternative.

Dime thanks for all your help man! :metal:

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Don't bother with a GK. The Ghost system works better, is less invasive*, and can be used on 7-strings.

*less invasive than an internally mounted GK, which I realized after posting may not have been what you have in mind.

spacecadet23

Southern Djentleman
Reaction score
Yingmin, totally what I had in mind. The Ghost is more asthetically pleasing than having an (internally mounted) GK. Personally, I favor the Ghost but the Roland option is a hell of a lot cheaper to procure and install. Not that I'm complaning, gotta pay for the good stuff! :flame:

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Having used both an internal GK3 and a Ghost system, the performance of the Ghost is vastly superior. Now I put a Hexpander in all my guitars. Plus, as I mentioned, it's possible to use the Ghost system with seven strings, where with a GK3 you're limited to six.

spacecadet23

Southern Djentleman
Reaction score
Makes me feel better about spending the extra cheeze on the Ghost system. From an Acoustiphonic perspective, yes you can utilize all seven strings. Hell, with the expansion clip you could go beyond that. However, it is my understanding that if you wish to do any midi stuff only the E-E strings will trigger, unless you want to split the strings to two separate hexpanders and run the midi separately. Looking at Shotgunn's mods this seems to work extremely well for eight string axes: bottom four to hex 1 and top four to hex 2. Talk about possibilities! No this is not good, I'm getting ideas. Ideas are kryptonite to my bank account. :hbang: