BC Rich Villain Escape 8 Vs. BC Rich Outlaw 8?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by StephTones1212, Jan 25, 2015.

1. StephTones1212

StephTones1212 New Member

I'm in the market for an 8 string guitar. A brand I came across that was in my price range ($400) was BC Rich. They are also my style. But there's two that are similar. The Villain Escape uses humbucker pickups and has a 27" scale which an okay size for an 8 string. The Outlaw on the other hand uses Duncan Design pickups, but has a 26 1/2" scale. I don't know much about pickups and the tech used on guitars, so my overall question is which one would be better for tone and sound quality? I'm going for a very deep and distorted sound.

2. Eliguy666

Eliguy666 Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile

You can get a significantly nicer guitar for the same price, and better customer service, here. Rondo Music Electric Guitars | Page 1 of 1

I'd recommend stretching your budget a little bit for one of the 830 models, as a 30" scale length is significantly helpful in keeping the low strings clear, playable, and loud.

3. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Pretty damn sure that's somewhere between debatable and false. [canceled] :flex:

27" is pretty standard. Another + for the Villain Escape is that you have 2 options for upgrading the pickups: outright replacement, or get the stock ones rewound (I recommend Wolfetone). Plus the Villain Escape actually looks quite nice. :metal:

4. Eliguy666

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

6. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Like there are no "pain" stories involving Agile? :lol: Their return policy is no different than most retailers, so I don't even get the hype about that.

The thread on inharmonicity is great on paper, and that's pretty much it. I don't recall seeing too many "NGD!!! RG8 inharmonicity fail" threads.

That said, +1 on that Schecter.

7. Eliguy666

8. sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223 B.C. Rich loyalist

Don't listen to people who claim BCR is "crap", I can pretty much guarantee they have little actual experience with the brand. Outside of the lowest-end models, quality control is quite good at BCR, and even in the "Bronze" line I've seen some real gems...but that's enough defending my brand, so on to the actual question.

I actually have two BC Rich 8-strings (Jr.V and Warlock from the "Lucky 8" series, both 27" scale and fitted with Duncan-designed Blackout active pickups), if you prefer active pickups, go for the Outlaw, otherwise the Villain is probably a better choice. There's not much noticeable difference between 26.5" and 27" scale lengths, I've played both (my first 8-string was a Dean ML Modifier with a 26.5" scale) and prefer the 27". The argument about intonation is somewhat moot, I've dropped the Warlock down a whole step to EADGCFAD and only had intonation issues on the low E on the 23rd and 24th frets, even then it was only 20-30 cents sharp, same with the V in Drop E.

So, all in all, if given the choice, I'd go with the Villain, mostly just for the wider variety of pickup upgrade options (BDSM's aren't terrible for stock pickups, especially on the bass end, but the tone could be improved with upgraded pups)

9. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

Just dropping in to say a BC Rich was the worst guitar I ever owned in terms of playability and sound quality. The build quality was pretty good though.

Needless to say, I'd never buy another one.

I'm not sure but $400 dollars may bag you an Ibanez RG8, or maybe a lower end Schecter.

Based on reputation, I'd say look in to Schecter. You say BC Rich is your "style" and BC Rich are some seriously angry looking metal guitars - Schecter have some pretty mean looking guitars too.

I have an Ibanez RG8, but the it took me two to get a decent one. Poor quality control in the Indonesian factory. Great guitar though, provided you get a good one.

10. guitarzzzz6666

guitarzzzz6666 New Member

first!cheap bc rich guitars are ....!!!!second!good priced bc rich guitars are REEEAAALL GOOD.and third.poorly,you are like me.the outlaw series is limited and there are no more outlaw guitars.the villain s humbuckers are very upgradable and it looks almost like the outlaw sooooo.......you can put one hell of a humpburger there!:spock::spock:

11. Blood Tempest

Blood Tempest Eschaton Mémoire Contributor

+1
    Nailed it.

12. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Holy thread necro Batman!!!!

13. Blood Tempest

Blood Tempest Eschaton Mémoire Contributor

HA! just noticed that. Awesome.

14. Mangle

Mangle Breaker

Any cheap guitar is gonna be a crapshoot. It's best if you can actually sit down and play the one you want before you buy it.... make sure you're personally satisfied with it's build and playability. Any guitar in the price range you're talking about is going to require upgrades, period. With the BCR's you're looking at it looks like it's going to be at least; pick-ups, nut & tuning pegs. Prolly the bridge and electronics too. You'll have to be the judge. It's just the way it is. Just like you'll outgrow the quality of any beginner grade instrument rather quickly.

Lots of necrobumpin' going on lately!?!?