Battle of the 6's Baritone

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by StefanWest, Apr 26, 2018.

Which would you choose for Drop A Tuning with the ability to change pickups?

Poll closed May 11, 2018.
  1. Ibanez RGIB6

15 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. Ibanez SRC6

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Schecter Hellraiser C-VI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. StefanWest

StefanWest SS.org Regular

I currently have a RG970XL with a 27" scale Floyd Rose

I want something that will stay in tune with a fixed bridge that I can put some passives in.
    Been looking at the RGIB6 28" Standard Tuners EMG81s, HellRaiser C-VI 30" standard tuners and EMG81TWs, and the SRC6 Crossover Bass 30" Bass tuners EMGHZ soapbars passives.

I plan on putting Seymour Duncan Alpha Omegas in them , and if I chose the SRC6 I'd have to have SD custom make them by giving them the pole distance.

I almost got the SRC6 but not sure if a whole octave down from E-E is overkill if I plan on doing Drop A. It'd be fun but I feel like I'd be creating a frequency issue like it's not actually a bass to pair with a guitar or baritone guitar when recording. But maybe I'm wrong.

Would the Schecter give me the same issue? And would the SRC6 allow me to do a Drop A or would the strings be too small for the nut, tuners, and bridge?

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Smaller strings is no issue. I wouldn't suggest the SRC6 though as it has more basslike elements, I think the spacing is even a bit wider. It's not a normal bass vi style (which are nothing like basses at all really, just baritone 30" guitars). 30" while beneficial is overkill making it harder on yourself to play though really, drop A on 28" is perfectly clear.

3. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

I'd go with the Ibanez RG out of those options. 30" scale is huge and drop A doesn't even need close to that amount of scale length. I think it actually sounds worse that long.

StefanWest likes this.
  4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Just throwing this out there- you know trem blocking exists right?

Sermo Lupi and StefanWest like this.
  5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Jackson DK27 if you can find one.

StefanWest likes this.
  6. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

I have an SRC6 that I mod'd into a dedicated "guitar" by removing the bass/mid/treble controls and swapping the stock passives out for actives. It works as intended, but I think it would be overkill for drop A tuning. That said, I think the 28" scale Iron Label would be a better choice. That or a 27" scale Agile.

StefanWest likes this.
  7. StefanWest

Do you happen to have any samples you've recorded with this ? Have you any issue doing pitch pull harmonics ? In drop tuning can you even bar the chord

8. StefanWest

Can you elaborate? I don't know how they work

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

you shove something like a piece of foam under the trem or install a tremol-no to stop it from moving.

StefanWest likes this.
  10. Carl Kolchak

I'll record something quick tomorrow so you can hear for yourself.

I'm using something like 86s-20s on it atm, and am tuned to E standard in an octave lower, and am not having any problems with chords.

StefanWest likes this.
  11. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

I got a 73-17 set of strings on my SRC6 right now and it's tuned A-a. There aren't really any issues with the strings being too small for the nut (they are, it's just not a problem) and tuning stability is actually really good.

I don't have a great ear for tone, but I feel like you can get good guitar-like sounds out of it just as easily as you can get good bass-like sounds with all the stock hardware and electronics, especially if your tuning sits somewhere in the range of either instrument.

Also, as far as I can tell, it has string spacing as narrow as any of my guitars, so that wouldn't be an issue.

12. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I just had an SRC6 for a couple of weeks, sent it back in the end only because I didn't want to end up in a situation where I spent as much as the guitar cost me in the first place putting pickups in and swapping the electronics only to STILL think it felt and sounded more like a bass.

Also, despite getting it because I found 8 strings cumbersome and wanted something just to riff on the low strings with a bit more ease, as soon as I played it I found myself thinking "a couple of extra high strings would be handy".

StefanWest likes this.
  13. StefanWest

Still wondering if the Shechter is on anyone's opinion. Being that it's kinda between the RGIB6 and the SRC6 in scale length. and about $250 difference from the RGIB6. No idea on how thin the neck is between the two either. Can't find anything related to the "Thin C" profile but have found good reviews of the Nitro Wizard profile.

Plus the tuneomatic bridge will allow a badass fine tuners upgrade where as the ibanez bridge doesn't offer much , except the guitar body is actually flat so one could go and put a Kahler in if I wanted to I guess.

14. Carl Kolchak

https://soundcloud.com/user-602229297/7stringforum

Playability-wise, the SRC6 is very comfortable, much more so than some of the Schecter 7 strings I've played/owned. The only real downside to them, as I see it, is that you'll most likely want to turn yours into a dedicated guitar. This is a relatively easy fix though, one which should take little more than a pickup swap. I went with a 7 string EMG 85. I've made no other mods, nor feel as though I have to at this point.

If you have to have a 30" scale, and don't want to take out a small business loan to be able to get something high-end, I'd strongly recommend the SRC6.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

That was back when Schecter had bulkier necks. Not the thin Ibanez-esque necks they have now.

Also I agree 30'' is too much for drop A. I think 26.5 - 28'' is fine for that. Anything higher would be overkill. The RG baritone would be perfect, but I've heard so many mixed things about the quality that I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

I feel like something like a used DK27 would be perfect for you. That or the LTD MH-401B/MH-400B Another option would be finding a Schecter Blackjack EX. They have 26.5'' scale necks.

16. Carl Kolchak

Agile offers 27" scales baritones as well.

17. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

I played a 30" in Drop A for years and eventually switched back to shorter scales and never looked back.

18. Bforber

Bforber SS.org Regular

Have you looked into the PRS SE Mushok? You'd have to find one used, but it's a pretty great option, especially for the price.

Specs:
    Features:
    Body wood: Bound mahogany
    Neck Wood: Maple
    Neck Shape: Mushok Baritone
    Number of Frets: 22
    Scale Length: 27.7" baritone
    Fretboard Wood: Bound ebony
    Bridge: String-through-body stoptail

Flappydoodle likes this.
  19. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I've owned Iron Label Ibby that is the standard scale model of the baritone you're looking at. It was not a very good quality guitar.

However, I had an Agile 728, and that was an EXTREMELY good guitar for only 500$ new. I had both these guitars at the same time, so I was able to compare them well. The Agile vastly exceeded the RGIR20FE.

It looks like they don't have a 6 string version of the Agile that I had with the same 28.5" scale, but they do have it in 30" scale

[​IMG]

Also the one I had had ebony board and SD Blackouts. IDK I kinda like the maple look. But I think Blackouts kill EMGs

20. StefanWest

I already have a 27 rg970xl. So probably going to get a treml-no for that and choose the rgib6 hopefully the alpha omegas for the string spacing because I can't find anything about that stuff anywhere on the internet