Batman/Superman Movie 2015

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Justice League : Doom was ...eh, at best.

Green Lantern's thing ended up coming down to being a robot, Flash's contingency plan was the plot line to "Speed", Wonder Woman's doesn't even really stop her just causes her to harm a bunch of innocent bystanders which since all these plans were stolen from Bruce - makes absolutely zero sense. Only Superman and Martian Manhunters are really like "Oh hey, that's pretty hardcore"

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We'll agree to disagree... then again I've never been a DC guy and they recently ended the only title I actively read and rebooted it to make the character "younger and edgier" in the new 52 so I just don't care all that much :lol:

This just strikes me as ZOMG MARVEL MADE A TON OF MONEY WITH AVENGERS.... LET'S PUT CHARACTERS TOGETHER IN A MOVIE!!!

It strikes me as "goddammit, no movie about DC characters has ever been successful besides batman, I guess we'll have to put him in any of our movies if we want them to make money."

flint757

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Green Lantern could have been and should have been bad ass. I think Flash would be pretty good too.

Jes Johnson

Reaction score
I actually think Batman and Superman are pretty evenly matched. Putting aside the money and gadgets and martial arts, the way Batman's mind works practically is a superpower. This is a more subtle point, which is why a lot of people overlook it. But he's a genius-level intellect and determination makes him extremely powerful. Besides, he beats up people with super powers on a pretty regular basis. ;P

In any case, I'm excited for the movie. I liked Man of Steel and the Dark Knight movies, I think this one will be good, too.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
My problem with Batman is that his mental acuity makes him overpowered. I don't mind resourceful, super suspicious Batman, but what keeps me from really enjoying him is this fixation on how smart he is. If you know that with a bit of planning he could and did take down the entire JLA, how can anything be a threat to him? Especially some of the jokes in his rogues gallery? Why isn't he coming up with plans to permanently incapacitate villains, instead of beating them up and putting them in shoddy prisons?

The only overpowered comic book characters I like are the villains, but only because it puts the struggles of the heroes in much greater context. Without any believable threat to a hero, though, we just get a bunch of frames of ass-kicking and useless dialogue. I can understand that some people only want that, but if we're pushing for comics to have any sort of depth we have to rise above the Michael Bay style of entertainment and create moving, emotional stories.

Jes Johnson

Reaction score
My problem with Batman is that his mental acuity makes him overpowered. I don't mind resourceful, super suspicious Batman, but what keeps me from really enjoying him is this fixation on how smart he is. If you know that with a bit of planning he could and did take down the entire JLA, how can anything be a threat to him? Especially some of the jokes in his rogues gallery? Why isn't he coming up with plans to permanently incapacitate villains, instead of beating them up and putting them in shoddy prisons?

The only overpowered comic book characters I like are the villains, but only because it puts the struggles of the heroes in much greater context. Without any believable threat to a hero, though, we just get a bunch of frames of ass-kicking and useless dialogue. I can understand that some people only want that, but if we're pushing for comics to have any sort of depth we have to rise above the Michael Bay style of entertainment and create moving, emotional stories.

I can understand why you feel that way. Personally, I think the fact that he's an un-powered character in a universe full of super beings sort of humanizes him. Despite his mental resources, that still handicaps him to a certain extent. There are stories here and there that really show him being challenged. But one thing I like about him is he always comes out on top regardless of what ridiculous situation he's put in. Personally, I find him an inspirational character because his way of thinking has real life implications. I'm never gonna fly, but I can learn to think more like Batman. Lol, I know that sounds really dorky, but you know what I'm saying.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
What's the best "Batman and Superman" stuff out there? This can include any medium. I like comic book stuff but looking at it without much knowledge is absolutely mind boggling. It's just hard to make heads or tails of all the different series, retcons, etc.

I'm open to anything though with those two, preferably where they interact. I remember an animated movie as a kid...I think. However, considering it seems like we have some pros on had, I'd love your opinions.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
What's the best "Batman and Superman" stuff out there? This can include any medium. I like comic book stuff but looking at it without much knowledge is absolutely mind boggling. It's just hard to make heads or tails of all the different series, retcons, etc.

I'm open to anything though with those two, preferably where they interact. I remember an animated movie as a kid...I think. However, considering it seems like we have some pros on had, I'd love your opinions.

The way DC does their continuity, knowing backstory is useless since it becomes irrelevant every decade, so picking up random comics isn't necessarily leaving you out of anything.

I think there's a few movies with Bats and Supes on Netflix involving Darkseid or something. I'm really not the best one to answer this question.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
You're talking about "Batman/Superman : Apocalypse" which is a solid movie. If you're talking about Batman in general, might be worth watching both "Mask of the Phantasm" and "Under the Red Hood" - both of which have great reviews. "Year One" is good as well, but I've heard to avoid "Gotham Knight" for various reasons.

As for comics, if you're looking for origins - I'm not sure since I've known Batman for so long that it's tough to call where I started. Could just go through the Wiki and get all your catch-ups and then jump on to the new 52 run which is written by Scott Snyder and the first storyline (Court of Owls) kicked ass. General storylines that are good include : Death in the Family, Batman R.I.P., Hush, and obviously Knightfall and Dark Knight Returns (if you can get past the art)

Jes Johnson

Reaction score

I don't know too much of the Superman stuff personally. Some of my favorite Batman comics are Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, Batman RIP. I'm a big Joker fan, so a lot of those feature him as a major character.

UltraParanoia

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think he'll nail it.
Although Goyer is writing it & he wrote Batman with Nolan, it'll be good to see a different take on Batman.

I'm excited for it

flint757

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
He always surprises me, but I honestly don't know if I can picture him as Batman. :lol:

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

Ok... I like Big Ben Affleck and i hope he proves me wrong.

But at the moment i just don't see it...

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I already was sure this movie would suck, this news is only upsetting cause Ben Affleck could have made something good in the time he'll waste on this turd. Gone Baby Gone is one of my favorite movies of the 2000s. I also don't really see him working in the part. It isn't that I don't like him, I think he's hilarious in Mallrats as a total dick and think he's more than fine in Argo, Good Will Hunting and Chasing Amy.

Zach Snyder +that charisma vacuum that starred in Man of Steel strongly suggest this movie was hopeless from the getgo. I do think Watchmen is a pretty good flick but I think it's only cause the source material was so incredibly strong that even Zach Snyder couldn't destroy it with a sex scene set to Hallelujah.