Basswood Schecter Omen 7 pickup change

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Annonnymous, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Annonnymous

Annonnymous SS.org Regular

Hello!
    After trying a few mid-range guitars I decided to stick to my cheap but comfortable and well set-upped Schecter. Don't recommend me buying another guitar, please! Lol.
    The problem with it, the problem I've always had is... It is too bassy, muddym non-articulate, etc.
    I've been thinking about changing my bridge pickup to D Activator, heard it suits well basswood bodies, but I'm open to suggestions.

I play mostly death but I want a more modern sound.

Tones I like: Dying Fetus post 2012
    Tones I HATE: Slayer (even God hates us all has that tone..dunno how to describe it...inconsistent? It's zZzZzZ), Bloodbath etc.

So..help me decide?
    Thank you!

2. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

The pickups in it are stock? A D-Activator bridge will sound great in there..

3. Annonnymous

Yes, muddy, cheap stock pickups.
    What about bare knuckle?

I want really well defined tone. But not sterile sounding. But something that cuts through. I have a cheap warlock with stocks Bc Rich bdsm pickups that sounds better and the difference is noticeable even in the cheapest practice amp.

4. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

I have a BKP Warpig and it's cool, but not any better than Duncan or Dimarzio, and not worth the price difference unless you really want that specific sound, I guess. I'd suggest the Evo 7. Articulate, cutting, and plenty brutal for death metal. I had one in a basswood JP70 and really miss it.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Soundâ„¢

d-sonic absolutely kills for metal/death metal. Very clear/tight sounding with percussive chugs/trem picking. It's a very cutting pickup and just destroys for rhythm work. Probably my favorite non-boutique pickup I've ever tried.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  6. Annonnymous

So how are the Evos and D Sonics compared to the D Activator, do you have experience with the latter?

7. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Is it a good lead pickup too?

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Soundâ„¢

It's not my first choice for lead work (but that's mostly because I prefer using a neck pickup for leads). check out the 2nd half of the video

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  9. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Sounds pretty good. I'm thinking about going passive for my 7 string.. So i'll definitely consider it

10. Annonnymous

Hey! I decided I'd go for the Nazgul, already ordered it and I hope it's going to sound even better (cause the D-Activator sounded muddy when I tried it on a guitar, I know it wasn't my guitar but still... I want something articulate as fuck!)

11. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

The Nazgul is pretty articulate but it's got a fat low end. Hopefully you'll be pleased though. Let us know how it turns out for you!

12. Annonnymous

Well, I got it installed today and now my guitar sounds like a fucking guitar, at last! Lol. I can't compare it to other aftermarket pickups, but from what I did hear from the DActivator, I like the Nazgul much better. It has a bite, yeah the low end is fat (if I undestand the term correctly lol), if you palm mute some power chords it sounds massive, but that is something I like!
    When you said it has a fat low end I expected it to be worse than the Invader. It certainly isn't !

13. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Prominent lowe end but it's controlled/tight-tracking as well.