Basses for comparison!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Popsyche, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

I play bass mainly fingerstyle, but I also play slapstyle and pick style. In about 80% of my own recordings, I play fingerstyle.

The bass player in my band only plays with a pick, but he plays so fast much of the time that it really would be pretty hard to try to play fingerstyle.

I don't have a bass anymore. :( So I can't "compare." All I can do is tell you all that I'm jealous, especially of Roland's bass.

2. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

One of my band's singer's biggest issues is people who play bass with a pick. He's an amazing bassist and a firm believer in only playing bass with your fingers. You can imagine the arguments he has with our bassist, who plays with a pick 90% of the time! :lol:

I really need to scour the local cash converters for a decent 5 string bass.

3. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Ha ha ha.

I'm the type of guy who prefers bass with fingerstyle, but I do use a pick occasionally, but I play it differently. For example, if I play fingerstyle, I take the tone knob up to 8-10. But if I play with a pick, I take the tone knob to 4-6. I'd say my own bass playing is 70% fingerstyle, 20% pick, and 10% slap bass style.

Of course, my bass player turns his tone up to 8-10 and uses a pick. I'm not gonna ask him to play fingerstyle because he is very adamant about what he likes: He plays B.C. Rich basses (and owns 4 of them), only plays 4-string basses and said that he has no interest in any more strings (although after I had him listen to a complicated 7-string band, he said "wow. It sounds completely different" and I said "The bass player uses a 5-string" and he said "I'll have to try one of those out sometime"), and he only plays with a pick (most likely because most of the time he plays bass really well).

I can understand how your lead singer feels. I'm a big fan of fingerstyle myself. And, on some of the guitar recordings I've done, when I recorded the bass, I turned the tone down to 1 or 2 and played fingerstyle. Nice sound. I like the sound of a picked bass too and a lot of bands I really like have bass players who play exclusively with a pick, but nothing sounds the same as fingerstyle.

4. msherman

msherman Banned

5. usagi

usagi more gain please

I've got an SR 805 which I play exclusively with a pick. I use the bass more like an athlete training with a heavier bat before a game. It's sped up my guitar playing.

6. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

Here's what I play (though the knobs on mine are different because it's a few years old):

[​IMG]

I play with fingers and pick almost equally, depending on the kind of music. I mean, it's tough to play punk with your fingers, and it's a crime to play early Metallica with a pick. Basically, whatever feels right for the style of the song. There's things you can do with a pick you can't do with your fingers, there's just that certain sound.