Basses for comparison!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Popsyche, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

We have heard the debate over pick/no pick, and such. Well then, let's see pix of those basses you proudly play, and reiterate your preference for string striking.
    Also, extra points if you have a track you play bass on!:)

Me, I play only with my stubby fingers and my thumb. I end up doiung mostly funky/jazzy/techno stuff. Here's my entries into the frey:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is an F-Bass, from George Furlanetto in Hamilton, Ontario. This is the coolest thing to come out of Canada since Scott and YM!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a 1970's Hayman bass from the UK. They are weird, and have a pencil thin neck. Great sounding rock-n-roll bass.

Who's next?

2. Roland777

Roland777 SS.org Regular

Ptooooiiiing.

[​IMG]

Ibanez BTB555.

3. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

I've simply got an OLP 5-string - the natural finished Ash body version that's no longer available. It's fitted with the awesome 4-band Audere preamp. Sorry, no pics.
    There are 2 fanned fret 6 string Oni's in the making, 34 - 37" scale, custom pickups, Audere preamps, Hipshot hardware etc... I might keep one for myself, the other is sold already.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, fingers only for me on bass, with some pretty lame attempts at Vic Wooten style slap.

4. Makelele

Makelele SS.org Regular

5. Roland777

Roland777 SS.org Regular

Pictures!

As far as playing style goes - fingerstyle, percussive and pick. Whatever works for the songs I'm playing.

6. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

I like this one a lot.

From the Rickenbacker website:

[​IMG]

7. Vince

Vince Contributor

I love my basic Ibanez SG 5-string. It's the best bass I've played in a long time & a great value at the price. The only basses I've played that kill it are Modulus basses. My old bassist had a $1800 Specter bass, and while his played a little better, this bass killed it in sound for some reason. All stock, active Ibanez pickups on it. I've debated outfitting it with EMGs, but with new strings the stock pickups sound like a piano, so I've never changed them.

I've used it on every recording you guys have heard. Go to the seventring.org jukebox to listen to the bass sound on my recordings.

In the pics, notice the color of the fretboard. I oil the fretboards on my guitars regularly. A treated board is a healthy board, and an oil-treated fretboard is a lot faster & more comfortable IMO than a dry one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just for fun... do you think I maybe like Ibanez guitars.... :D

[​IMG]
    yes, I know the prestige hasn't got any strings on it :lol:

8. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus You're no daisy. Contributor

Holy crap, that's gorgeous!

I want it.

9. b3n

b3n ...Is unacceptable. Contributor

holy crap indeed.

10. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Yeah that one's a stunner, I hate green guitars but that's just too hot not to like!!

I want a ric...

11. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Nice basses, Bill, and the same for everyone else who has posted. I play this one right here. I love it. One of these days, I want a high end SR.

1999 SR305DXBK~

[​IMG]

12. TheReal7

TheReal7 Mr. Melody Contributor

damn that is nice. I have a BTB455QM
    [​IMG]

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

[​IMG]

Ibanez Ergodyne EDA-905. Bizarre looking bass, but comfortable as all hell to play. I just wish it had a passive tone control, or something other than the electronics it has (mid-boost one direction, bass/treble boost the other on two seperate tone controls, one for peizos and one for the magnetics, and a peizo and mag volume. I could probably have it rewired to have an active treble and bass master for both, but I bet it'd be pricey...), but for the price it's a cool bass.

I always start fingerstyle/slap, but I'll try a pick if it sounds better for the part. I'm certainly a better picked bassist, lol.

14. noodles

noodles Contributor

[​IMG]

It's an early 90s Jackson Professional Kip Winger model (MIJ), in mint shape, that I bought for $250 a couple of years ago. Maple neckthru, lacewood body sides, ebony fretboard, black boung neck and headstock, and MOP Jackson logo. I don't actually play bass, but I always wanted to have one around, and the price was too good to pass up. It even came with the OHSC.

The early Professional models are well known for being as good as a USA Jackson, which is why they degraded the line--it was cutting into the USA model sales! The only thing I don't like about the bass is the name on it. It plays and sounds amazing, and the camera does no justice to red. Lacewood is amazing looking stuff. :yesway:

15. rummy

rummy maybe this year Contributor

I have a Yamaha RBX374. I finger pick and slap.

16. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

:yesway:

Bass with a pick = heresy!

17. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

damn, that's nice, Bill! you should have brought it to Jemfest.

rewire it yourself! ;)

18. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Old Peavey bass, purchased second-hand from my brother. Unsure of the model, but I'll post a photo if I get a chance.
    Mostly fingerstyle playing. Occasional slap or pick-style if that's the sound I want.

Tell that to Chris Squire...:lol:

19. Vince

Vince Contributor

I'd never hire on a fulltime bassist that played pickstyle, so in that sense, I agree with you. However, from my experience when you're recording, if you've got someone who's razor-tight with a pick, it can make the band sound much bigger because it's more percussive.

20. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

I like playing with the pick because it sounds more percussive but even when I play without a pick, I can get that percussive sound, it's just not as snappier as playing with a pick. :agreed:

Ever since I got into 311's bass player "P-Nut", I have developed the interest to slap bass but lately, Roscoe Beck, who has played with Eric Johnson, has impressed me. I wish I could slap bass like him. :yesway: