Bassbreaker 15 speaker swap

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Forkface, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

hey guys, i was hoping to pick your brain yet again:
    pretty simple situation, i got myself a bassbreaker 15. I love the thing; for all 6 string purposes sounds awesome, at the right volume without disturbing my flatmates.
    now, i run a KSR ceres with it for metal, and it sounds great, but it seems that the amp, and particularly the speaker, does not handle extreme lows very well. When i play an 8 string thru it, it sometimes "farts" loudly for an instant before going back to normal.

so, 3 questions basically.
    1. do you think a speaker swap would improve the lower end handling?
    2. if so, what speaker would you recommend?
    3. what would i need to consider to swap it? (first speaker swap for me, so im not sure about all the Ohms thing and whatnot, what specs do i need to pay attention on the bassbreaker, would it be a straight "disconnect old, connect new" kinda thing?"

thank you all in advance.

2. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I have one of those amps...
    There's a few speakers that will do the job for low 8-string stuff...

Just watch out for magnet size in that combo.
    If it were me, I'd grab an Eminence Deltalite 2512 Neo.

3. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

typically higher wattage speakers handle low end better. I am not sure how much room you have in your cab or what tone you are going for. Neo magnet might be the best option because of their reduced size/weight and typical decent power rating. The celestion neo creamback might work, or an emience lil'texas, em12n or a jensen tornado.

i'd check out some sound clips of those models to get an idea of what direction to head.

4. SexHaver420

SexHaver420 SS.org Regular

EVM12L is the only speaker I can think of that might be able to handle the low end of an 8 string through a 1x12.

5. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Are you certain it's the speaker? If you're running the Ceres into the front of the amp it might be doing some nasty clipping of the input when you hit the low strings. I'd try running the Ceres in the loop and see if still has that problem.

I've played 8 strings through 8in combo speakers and 112 cabs and never had that particular problem.

My 112 has a Veteran 30 and it handles the low end of the 8 just fine. If weight isn't a concern, you can't go wrong with a Vintage 30.

I'm a big fan of Eminence Legends for metal stuff. The EM12 is a more neutral speaker which I like. Let's you color the tone with your amp/effects more. It's also higher wattage which could be useful if you want to crank your combo.

6. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

interesting, honestly i straight up didnt think of this. i'll give it a go. thanks mate.

i was originally thinking to swap for a G12k-100, but wanted to hear different opinions.
    Regarding the V30s, i had an old Orange 412 a long time ago and i didnt particularly liked the way it sounded.. i dunno if it was the V30s or something else, but eh. i'd rather try something different i guess.

also, no plans on cranking anything, Ive spoken to my flat neighbors and while they don't mind the playing, they have stated that whatever volume i'm using is enough (and i'm hitting maybe 3 or 4 in the amp at the most). i really appreciate the fact that they dont complain as it is, so i'd rather not push it :lol:

7. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

Eminence Swamp Thang, or Celestion CL80. I hear the k100 is a good Choice, I just don't have first hand knowledge.

8. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

quick update in case you were curious, i moved the ceres to the loop, and the same thing is happening, so i dont think its really that. (also i like the sound in front better i think, lol)
    But what you're saying makes perfect sense. it sounds like im "Clipping" the speaker every time i hardpick a low note. But say, if i use the ceres on a 6er, with tons more gain, picking harder with the vol. cranked, the speaker doesnt do that, so im inclined to believe its the low frequency rather than the "amount" so to speak.

jarledge and ATRguitar91 like this.
  9. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

is it possible the speaker is damaged ? if you are hitting it hard and it is farting out or distorting in a weird way you could have a rip in the cone, or the coil could be rubbing. Easy way to tell would be to pull the speaker out and just take a look at it.

it looks like stock is has a 70 watt celestion so it should be able to handle 15 watts and a low E.