Bass Slap and Pop on an electric violin?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by paul.dines05, Jul 7, 2020.

1. paul.dines05

paul.dines05 SS.org Regular

Hello to my amazing bass player friends.

My friend showed me this video a while ago on messenger and I was wondering if is it possible to play like that (and have that tone) on the violin?

I'm positive that this is an electric violin because it has a jack input but I am also sure that this is not a magnetic pickup (it could be piezo)

To make the story short, is it possible to have that punch tone and depth using a violin body?

Wating for your professional opinions.

and if it is possible, I am going to shift my instrument :)

2. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

I wouldn't say it sounds that deep or punchy at all, but if you run an electric instrument signal through a preamp you could shape the tone in all sorts of ways. You could probably imitate the sound in the video quite easily.

I think you'd probably struggle to make it sound like a bass guitar though. If you want to sound like a bass guitar, the best instrument to play would be a bass guitar, as unusual as that may sound.

3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

yeha, to me it doesn't really sound like a bass, but sounds more than a bit like someone slapping on a guitar.

4. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Sounds about right. It sounds like a violin being slapped. I've done similar on mine - hell, on my 7-string electric violin with a piezo I've played Bb Meshuggah songs on it.

Getting the tone should be fine - the only problem is playing it and getting the right sound.

5. junmendoza7777

junmendoza7777 SS.org Regular

first of all. ot looks like a music video (because of the angles) so obviously it is not played live.
    That's one.

Next, the tone is fine, maybe because his violin pickup is different (we don't know the specs) but i'm pretty sure it's not an ordinary one.

next, I found another video of him (might be recorded on his video cam

you can hear the the sound distance when the acoustic violin comes in, it is recorded in cam.

next, he's a violinist alright, we're pretty sure that violinists can play on a fretless instrument, so such guitar licks will be an easy task for them unlkike playing mozarts and paganinis.

lastly, the vass song was recorded on an amped and was mic'd.

I just saw it on his description

6. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Loosely related, here's a violin with 'depth' (9 string tuned fifths-fourth Eb Bb F C G D A E A, not 10 as titiled):