Bass scale lenght, frets, string question

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by A-Branger, Sep 27, 2015.

1. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I got a couple of questions for you guys wizards of the scales

My first one is a bit dumb, and sorry for that. Its about the number of frets vs the distance between them

In my mind I think if a bass is 34" scale, the frets positions would be the same regardless of the numbers of frets the bass have. The 12th has to be at a specific place.

Having say that, I have play with ibanez basses (4 string SR for 4 years, and EDA 5 string for like 14 years), both of them being 34" scale and with 24 frets. But every time I go to a store and pick up a music man stingray 21-22 fret, or a jazz bass 20 frets. I feel the distance between the frets is bigger?

is that just me, or its my perception as lets say the 20th fret would be at a position where my 24th would be???.... but I also feel the lower register frets to be "bigger".....

this is one of the reason I have stayed away from GASing into an ibanez 35" scale BTB as I dont like the big gaps on the lower end

2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

now my second question

I have been GASing badly for the Ibanez BTB 33 volo. (would tell you why at the end)

now my question is. That bass is 33" scale lenght as it is tuned E-C, but I want to change it to a regular B-G 5 string bass. Would it be ok?. I know I would have to re-intonate the bridge and change the nut.

This bass acording to the Ibanez website says it comes with the same standard string gauge than a regular 5 string 34" would come. Sadly there are not many string gauge options for bases as a popular easy to find on a store. Im guessing this is the why.

so my idea is to instal a normal 5 string (low B) set on it. Same string set as it comes, just move the strings and ad the low B

I do not de-tune my bass, I only play in normal tunings B-E-A-D-G

I know you guys would rant saying that for a low B I need a 35" or a fan fret 37". But I have never had any issues with my 34", so why going 1" shorter would affect the tone THAT much??

1" equals close to the distance to my 1st fret, so in a way is like having my current bass tuned to Bb would have the same string tension as the 33" on B..... I am right in this???..... in which I feel only a very small difference. I have play this bass on my store and felt in love with it. I also played against a normal ibanez SR 34" and against the SR fanned frets, I dint felt any difference in playibility.

I know the ideal option would be to get ticker strings, but they would have to be custom order as no many stores sells something different than the regular gauge

Now, I have been wanted to replace my bass for aaaaages. I like my 24 frets, so that rules out like 80% of the popular brands models. I dont have 3k$+ to burn so no custom for me. I always wanted another Ibanez SR, but dam ibanez keep releasing ugly basses for my liking. Im a visual guy, bass have to play good/soung good/and look good. So I never jumped for any model, specially since here in Australia we dont get much variety. The BTB series I have always loved the look, but I never liked the 35" length, and mainly the string spacing... no no.....

Enters the BTB 33.... scale length is not my ideal 34", but it is not longer... beautiful looking bass (the one on my store has the back wood really dark, almost black...mmmmm... :) ) string spacing is the same as a SR model (yay!), and the fretboard radius is flatter as the SR (same as other BTB), and I must say, I felt in love with the flatter radius..... plus it sounded awesome, and more important it is at an awesome price range....... but....... its 33"

so, would I be ok modding this bass for a B-G config