Bass Preamp Pedal Into Tube Power Section?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by BadSeed, Oct 23, 2018.

1. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I'm going to be playing bass for a band starting next week. I am actually the drummer of the band now, but we are missing a bassist and have another (better) drummer who said he wants to play for us after sitting in on a couple practices.

Anyways, I already scored a good deal on a Squier VM bass for $190, I know I like these because I used to own one.

I'm picking up a bass cab this weekend, but don't have a head lined up yet. Since I have a few high powered tube guitar amps, I was thinking for the time being, I would run a sansamp bass di directly into the effects return of my triple rectifier, into a bass cab at 4 ohms.

anyone tried this before?

I play music likes this.
  2. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

It won't be ideal, but it will definitely work and may even sound pretty good. Just make sure you match the impedance between the head and the cab.

3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

If you have all the gear, give it a shot.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I find that Mesa guitar tube power sounds great for bass, until you start pushing it and it distorts. At low to medium volume, what you've suggested is probably a great sounding setup, but if it ends up not being able to move enough air, you might not like the result. I've done this with my Mark IV and also an SVT preamp into a 2:90 -> It's really great up until it distorts, at which point the high end gets kind of unpleasant. If you use a grindy/dirty kind of sound, that might not be a problem. Depending on how good your cab is, it might work great though.

iron blast likes this.
  5. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

i've played bass with a rectifier and a preamp before. on its own, it's not great. you need to bi-amp it with something that can push more air

6. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

Do you already have the sansamp? If not, you might be able to find a used Peavey head for not a whole lot more...

7. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

I run a darkglass b7k into Evh 5150iii clean chanel, I like it a lot, it s grindy and meaty, for the cab I use my torpedo ,an ampeg 4x10 by ownhammer.For bass there is absolutly no rules. Think about Lemmy and his plexi marshall

8. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Off topic, but I thought Lemmy used a Marshall Super Bass.

Beheroth likes this.
  9. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

my bad his sig amp was, but I saw him with several marshall amps during 30years and his tone reminds me a pissed off bass guitar into a guitar amp. Anyway I saw a guy playing bass into Rectifier and it was gorgeous, same as a smoky friend with his Sunn O, guitar, bass, keyboard, everything is going to and destroy your brain

10. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

Triple rec should work great especially for distorted bass tones