Bass players that use 5 string

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Desecrated, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

2. Spoongirl

Spoongirl Bunnies :wub:

Alex Webster I must say.

3. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

alex webster, is that cannibal corpse bass player ?

4. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Yeah, i thought he used a 4 but now that i think about he uses 5. Badass player and a really nice guy.

5. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Jeff Walker, the bass player/singer for Carcass, played 5-string bass.

6. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

The criminally underrated Wally Voss, who played on Joey Tafolla's first album, and toured with Yngwie Malmsteen.

7. skattabrain

skattabrain slow and low

my brother (great bassist, more of a les claypool/victor wooden type) just bought this BTB555 ... it kicks soundgears all over the place. the bass is awesome, not to mention it has a killer look. but the long, wide neck may put off some ... it's a bass players bass. the soundgears are liek basses made for guitarists.

if your a down tuner ... it's nice to have that long ass neck (35").

he also likes the wider neck as he does a lot of slap style playing and says it's the first 5 string that makes him feel like he's playing a 4 string. the 5 string soundgears are too tight for him ... again ... soundgears are like basses made for guitar players.

however, he did play the 400 series and almost wrote them off .... played like shit. he also played a btb prestige and said for the $ ... the 555 is quite the value as it's closer to prestige than to the 400 series.

8. Ryan

Ryan SS.org Regular

here's Alex Webster tearin ass in the studio

9. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne is my pick too. First two albums he was crazy with slap, but on Lost and Found he's developing his standard finger picking with some very tasty lines, and some cool new tapping/octave techniques.

10. Dylan7620

Dylan7620 that guy

i dunno, my bassist recently just bought an SR505, and its quite possibly the best bang for the buk new bass out there. he tried the BTBs but didn't like the tone, and FWIW he not a guitarist-turned bass player, he been playing jazz bass since he was 13. :bowdown:

11. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

That kicks some serious ass! Pat O'Brian has some fucking chops too!:shred:

12. This Dying Soul

This Dying Soul Well-Known Member

My favorite has to be Ryan from Mudvayne. But its interesting, it wasnt until I went to reply to this that i realized that there really arent alot of 5 string bassists that i worship. 4 and 6 string, hell yeah. But not 5.

13. whatthe17

whatthe17 Well-Known Member

I was eyeing them too until I went to Guitar Center to try out Basses. The guy knew I was seriously looking and asked what I was looking for. I told him and we pulled about 5 basses one of them being the BTB405QM. The neck is pretty thick and wide. I started playing the Schecter Stiletto Elite 5 and that was it for me. I was really set on the Ibanez until I picked up the Schecter. I just liked the neck and the overall feel and sound much better. Needless to say the salesman make a pretty good recommendation to me and he was rewarded for it that day in commissions. That day I bought a Bass, case, Head, Leather strap, Effects processor, several stomp boxes, a Mixer, several Instructional DVD's and books. (by John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Jaco Pastorius, Billy Sheehan, and Yngwie Malmsteen.):hbang:

14. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

Schecter basses kick ass :agreed:

15. plecostoman

plecostoman Active Member

Not that I'm a well known (or amazingly great) bassist or anything, but I myself use a five string bass (Dean Edge) in the band I play with. The guitarists both use 6 string guitars which are always tuned to either standard or drop D. I just keep my 5th string tuned to D and the rest of 'em in standard. That way, when the guitarists are tuning their low E down to D, I'm already there.