Bass player looking for new head

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Nick4764, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Nick4764

Nick4764 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, my bass player is currently looking to purchase a new head, as he doesn't feel like he is getting the most out of the one he currently has. He plays an Ibanez Soundgear 5 string fretless bass tuned one step down (ADGCF) into a Peavey Firebass 700 running into a Carvin Brx10.4 cab. Do you guys have any suggestions as to which head will work best for this setup and be the most bang for the buck, thanks.

2. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

What's the budget, music style, minimum wattage and what sounds does he like?

3. Nick4764

Nick4764 SS.org Regular

He says preferably under $1000 and he wants the wattage and resistance to match his carvin cab. He wants something that allows the finer tones of the fretless to come out but still allow for old school thrash tones with a clean low end. We play Blackened Melodic Death metal (bandcamp in my signature). So far he says the Carvin BX 1500 is the amp to beat right now, but he is still looking

4. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

That's a 1200 watt cab. He isn't going to find something that matches that wattage for under a grand. Not without going used, at any rate. I don't think that's a terribly common wattage to begin with.

There are plenty of options in the 800w-1000w range, and honestly, I can't imagine why they'd need to be louder than that. Hell, I don't think I'd even ever need more than 500w, but different people have different needs. For what it's worth, I play an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500, and it sounds great for fretted and fretless, and takes pedals extremely well.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'd say the Peavey Minimega, Gallien Krueger 1001RB, or Ampeg SVT7PRO.

Peavey Minimega if you want pure loudness and a ....ton of tweakability. Seriously, 2 separate parametric EQs are awesome.

Ampeg SVT7PRO or Gallien Krueger if he wants pure tone machines.

6. Benraldo

Benraldo plays sixes

What about a popular preamp, say the Sansamp RBI or Darkglass B7K into a class D power amp?

That's all I use, works great for me.

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, for all in ones I'd get a minimega (I have the minimax). Though, I'd love a dark glass into a class D, too.

I'd also spring for a fEARless or fEARful or MAS cab, but that's cuz I'm a sucker for downtuned fundamentals.

8. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

9. punisher911

punisher911 blah blah blah

Agreed on the Darkglass Microtube head for any type of rock music....

I just bought a Mesa D-800+, but I just really wanted the cleans that it can put out. What little dirt I use I can accomplish with my Pork Loin pedal.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

+1.

I used an RBI + a Crown power amp for a long time and it had lots of clean power (used the power amp in bridged mode = all the watts). Swapped out the RBI for an SVTIIP eventually, but same idea. Could use any pre you like that way.

11. Iron Beard

Iron Beard SS.org Regular

Why not the matching carvin head? Bx1500 will work. Granted it's 1500 watts but that cab will handle it as long as you don't max it out. I used that head for a few years on a 1000 watt cab.

12. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

Do people really use darkglass for fretless?