Bass finger ramp for my B-Quad4 (for free stroke)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Omzig, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

So after an 8+ year break from bass playing i decided to sell my Peavey B-quad 4...but as happens with these kind of things after spending a few hours with it i in fact decided to keep it and well waste some time getting my bass chops leveled back up...

Anyhows the B-quad has some pretty massive humbucker pups with nice radius'ed tops (15" to match the FB) thing is there is a massive 14mm or so depth gap that kinda casues me to dig into the strings a little bit and make using the freestroke (thumb+3 fingers technique) feel a bit off. so time to build a matching radius'ed finger ramp

Decided to make a test out of x2 6mm poly sheet i had kicking around from my arcade unit build screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And wow it cut really nice & fits together perfectly....one problem Pup ears cutouts are miss aligned ......thats what you get if you try to take measurements from a guitar/bass while the strings are still on ;)

[​IMG]
    Still as a test it came out OK so i think i'll cut a 2nd test poly version then try a few out of maple or ebony caped maple if i fancy being posh,just have to worry about how that might effect my tone....j/k ;)

Laters
    Gizmo

KR250 and odibrom like this.
  2. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Nice! I never realized finger ramps were a thing until I played one. A matching piece to the top wood would look killer!

Omzig likes this.
  3. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

First time i saw one i was like wtf is that, a wooden pickup cover???? then i saw i being used and i was like eureka! that's why my freestroke sounds like shit (not that it still doesn't mind you ;) ) seems there are also "Slap Ramps" kicking about now..interesting

recut the test base (on top) and now it fits in place nice and snug

[​IMG]

so i pulled out some 15 year old scraps from my 2nd build's qulit maple top (15 years kicking about the place but it did come in handy today) and cut a base and 15" radius'ed ramp top from those and glued them together and sanded up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the B-quad has a pretty large string hight @ about 14-15mm from the surface,the ramp top is about 12mm atm so i might need to take it down a mm or so,but it feels ok atm,
    just need to (try &) stain match and gloss it (think i'll try CA as a clear on this)

neun Arme and KR250 like this.
  4. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Ok not to bad a match a little bit to orange...

[​IMG]

So next project i guess will be a Full B-quad build (or should that be G-Quad ;) ) minus the graphite neck because this is the only bass that uses this neck/profile so i'll be making one out of Zebra wood with carbon bars (not that ZB needs carbon rods).....should be fun!

KR250 likes this.
  5. Gtan7

Gtan7 SS.org Regular

Omzig likes this.
  6. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Hey Gtan7

thanks for the link, kinda explains what im experiencing with the B-quad,i don't suffer the same "dig in" issue with my spector though...Seems Stu hamm had a slap ramp mod on his kubicki (as a thicker scratch plate) & im now seeing Alain Caron has a clear one for his double tump/popping stuff on his f basses, & yep these BB designed peavey bodies look super a bit of a PITA (or leg) to play sitting down though as that lower horn is sharp, i think this one has it bang one shape and balance wise and the dean version is to sharp and the carvin is to fat imo, Just working up the CNC for a full wood build of one of these, i love the graphite neck but the fact it has no trush rod has become a bit of an issue with using lighter strings as ive had to dress the lower frets to remove buzz because those string have less tension to gring out the slight back bow built into the neck.

I have a HB BZ-6000 NT 6 string incoming tomorrow so that will get the ramp treatment also

Laters
    Giz