Baritone or 7 String

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
We also need to realize that you aren't doing drop A and drop F on the same guitar without a pitch shifter.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The Warmoth I just put together has a drop tuner on the low A that takes it down to F. It's far from ideal tension, for sure, but, if you compromise and select the perfect gauge for drop G, don't mind the just-irritatingly-too-tight A and the just-irritatingly-too-loose F, it's just barely doable. I'd still recommend getting two guitars for those two tunings, 1. because why compromise on the tone and playability that much and 2. more guitars = more goodness.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
my 30” squier baritone jazzmaster was awesome. Only sold due to lack of use and doubling my money :lol:
The local shop where i bought my first Cabronita Baritone had 4 of the Antigua Jazzmasters they couldn't sell. Someone clued them in they were in demand so they sold them on Reverb for a hefty profit. I was kicking myself for not checking them sooner.

kidmendel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had honestly never heard of Warmoth until you posted this. Checked out their website, a lot of very cool stuff. I do wish they offered hipshot hardtails as an option, but I can see myself doing one of their carve top soloist or carve top tele's with the gotoh wrap around bridge.

Warmoth will actually route for a Hipshot Hardtail, you just have to call them to do it. Super annoying, you'd think they'd offer it as standard? I guess there's not enough demand.

From the bottom of this page: https://warmoth.com/guitar-bridge-routs

Custom Bridge Routs​

Warmoth does not stock or special order the bridges listed below, but we can rout for them.

Please call for assistance. A custom charge will apply.

• Non-Fine Tuner Floyd Rose Tremolo (stud mount only, and requires a Warmoth pickguard with custom bridge cut)
  • Bladerunner Super-Vee Six-Screw Mount Tremolo (uses our standard 6-Hole Vintage tremolo rout)
  • Bladerunner Super-Vee Two-Post Mount Tremolo (uses our American Standard Fender tremolo rout)
  • Babicz Full-Contact TOM and Stop Tailpiece
  • Carvin FTG Hardtail
  • Fishman Tele 101 Bridge
  • Fishman Powerbridge Hardtail
  • Fishman TOM
  • Fishman TSV Powerbridge
  • Gibson B-0510-010 SG Style TOM
  • Gotoh 101
  • Hipshot Tremolo
  • Hipshot Flat Mount SB 5105-010
  • Kahler Tremolo
  • LR Baggs TOM
  • LR Baggs X Trem
  • LR Baggs Hardtail
  • Schaller 494 Stop Tailpiece w/ Fine Tuners
  • Schaller STM Model 451, 452 or 453

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
IDK, I like them all for different reasons.

Scale length is only one piece of the puzzle, although it's the most difficult to compensate. Drop F has been done at 25.5", but to me it sounds muddy. For example, the guys in Meshuggah tuned down to F and pushed really hard for a longer scale length, even going so far as to re-record the guitars on their album after it was already released, since they were unhappy with the tone. But every thread around here has someone chiming in to say that they've played drop Q on a 22" kid guitar since before the industrial revolution, and it's always sounded fine. I'd just counter to say that it all depends on your expectations.

Those cheap little 7 string Dinkys are actually pretty cool if you can get a good one. They're on sale right now on Musician's Friend. I'm tempted to grab one myself. 26.5" offers a little more brightness. The electronics are pretty decent, but what's better is that they come in two styles- one with soapbar pickups and one with standard pickups, so you can pre-plan a pickup swap. I've heard a couple of horror stories about Jackson releasing some lemons into the wild, though, so I'd be prepared to test it out and potentially return it if anything potentially deal-breaking popped up.

But, if you really want to tune down, Warmoth has a baritone 7 with a 28 5/8" scale. So you could gauge your strings for drop F like you would for drop G on a standard scale and get virtually the same feel and tone. The lower notes will really be able to breathe, and should sound pretty bright and clear. I just finished assembling one last week, with a Lace Deathbar bridge pickup (only), and it sounds tight. If you might want to go that route, I could try to get some sound clips up in the next few days. If you aren't handy with assembly and setups, there have been a few users around these parts who hired a local luthier to do the assembly and setup for them. There is a several-weeks lead time for them, though, so that's potentially a drawback. But that's the longest scale production 7 string I'm aware of.

If you decide to stick to a 6 string, there are tons more options. You could get a Bass VI, which has a 30" scale length. I *think* those are factory-tuned to either A or B standard, but I've come across a bunch of them set up for E standard (one octave down) and they sound pretty darn clear and bright that way. The older ones did require some routing to fit standard humbuckers in (the cavities were too shallow), but I'm not sure about the newer ones. Or you could, once again, order the body, neck, and pickguard from Warmoth and drop whichever pickups in it that you desire. There are quite a few options for 6 string pickups that are marketed to the drop-tune crowd.

There are also quite a few Ibanez models that are either 26.5" or 27" scale, which is becoming the new standard scale length for tuning down below C anyway, it seems. I, personally, really like naturally bright guitars, so that I can shape the tone out of my amps and sims more easily, so I often find that I wish the scale length on my gear was longer. For the record, I have normal human hands, not gigantic alien fingers like a lot of guitarists do. I've had no trouble adapting to extended scale lengths with just an hour or so of mechanical practice to get acclimated. But keep in mind that some guitars are simply poor ergonomic designs, whether they are 25.5" or 32" scale, those guitars will be uncomfortable to play.

so much this.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Drop A: definitely 7string.

Because you can tune AEADGBE and play anything standard guitar tuned on the top 6 strings. It's just convenient.

Drop-anything-else:
Depends.

dont forget Double Drop A/D

ADADGBE.... for all those kiddies that prefer drop tunings over "standard tunings" :)

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Huge thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and experiences. I'm thinking the best route when the time comes will be a 7 probably set up and tuned to Drop A. If I want to go lower I'll just get a drop pedal of some kind.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I hate when i find a tab that is in drop A and I get stoked, then find out its drop A on 6 string and doesnt translate the treble strings right and you have to do weird finger noodles to make it right ;(

UtterGimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought this recently and am really enjoying it (PLZ NO H8 LOL)

kind of covers a fair bit of ground, it's a strange instrument but very cheap for what you get

chugzilla

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
well not that it matters at all.... but i took back the Schecter c-7 ....and bought a dean ml 7 string... it will be here Friday ...and it that fits me good and is a keeper... ill prob be bringing the baritone back...tough decisions lol

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
well not that it matters at all.... but i took back the Schecter c-7 ....and bought a dean ml 7 string... it will be here Friday ...and it that fits me good and is a keeper... ill prob be bringing the baritone back...tough decisions lol
The Dean Exile 7 string is an intriguing one. The 7 string 57/66 is one of my favorite 7 string pick ups sets, and this is the only production guitar with the TW versions. Plus it looks good. Just one of those nobody carries them in store locally so I'd have to buy blind.

chugzilla

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yeah i almost got that BUT as i stated before im spoiled by the V shape resting on my right leg while playing and i cant get past it....ive been playing so long like this when i try n play a regular body shape like the exile its odd to me ...you should see me trying to play the baritone with its extended scale haha ...so i bought emg pickups to go in this ml 7 and off i go ...oh and i didnt like the paint job on the exile series in 7 string i prefer satin black when possible...or some black finish lol....and all my guitars have emg x series so thats what i got for the ml 7 string i love that sound paired with the emg es-918 its a win win for me tc n be safe

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
I hate when i find a tab that is in drop A and I get stoked, then find out its drop A on 6 string and doesnt translate the treble strings right and you have to do weird finger noodles to make it right ;(
Late ass reply, but just tune the G down a half step to F# and ignore the high e.