Baritone conversion?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by ihavemetaled, May 21, 2014.

1. ihavemetaled

ihavemetaled Djenthead

So I just made a custom 7 string but replaced the crap floyd rose knockoff. I got a hardtail bridge and I'm all set to go. (If you're wondering how I did it, I just filled that mama with a tremolo block and a ton of wood filler). But that's not what I'm concerned about. I've got a 25.5" scale (HAHAHAHAH) with 24 frets, but I had an idea that I thought would make sense.
    So, basically I want a 27"-ish scale. Can I just, like, move the whole bridge down until it fits with the new scale and then drill the holes there? xD I'm just asking. I could sort of manage drop F with heavy strings, but the strings weren't that tight and practically falling off the neck. This is why I wanted a baritone-like setup. A few inches should do it :rolleyes:
    thanks for your help
    :hbang:

EDIT: I'm not going to buy a baritone conversion neck or something. I'm not changing the one I have. It's frickin' awesome.

2. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

This will work if you only ever want to play open strings... otherwise all your frets will be in the wrong place and it will sound awful and you won't be able to tune it properly.

3. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Berserker's got it - the only way to do it is to actually move your frets. The 12th fret has to be dead center between nut and bridge (give or take the adjustment for intonation) and all the other frets have to have the right proportional distances from that.

You either need a conversion neck or... no, you need a conversion neck. I guess you can go fretless if you want.

4. RV350ALSCYTHE

RV350ALSCYTHE SS.org Regular

Will not work without removing and reinstalling the frets in the proper positions for the extended scale length.

You need to make/buy a baritone replacement neck unless you only want to play open strings. The rest will be out of tune no matter what.

You can do it but you'll never be able to play anything except odd sounding frequencies.

You could also defret the neck, if it's fretless then the intonation won't be as important since you can adjust your finger positions to achieve correct pitch.

If you really like your current neck/setup I'd leave it and pick up a cheap rondo baritone.

5. Chemical-Pony

Chemical-Pony SS.org Regular

Why would you make a custom guitar and then want to change everything?

6. Eliguy666

Eliguy666 Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile

Sorry, but they're right, it's not going to work if it's a fretted guitar.

You could buy a new neck if you really wanted to, but I'd recommend just buying another guitar with a longer scale.

7. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin'

I hate to sound like a jerk, but I don't understand how you could have the knowledge and skills to build a guitar and not already know the answers to this question?

As stated above, moving the bridge will only do you any good for the open strings. Going from 25.5" to 27" is essentially extending one extra fret at the nut end. So if you want to play anything besides open, you can go fretless or you'll need a fingerboard with frets for the proper scale length.

8. Eliguy666

Eliguy666 Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile

What you could do is buy a new fretboard and fret it up for the guitar, that would work totally fine.

9. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

I'm guessing by "made" he means he bought a body and neck and screwed them together... I hope so anyway :nuts:

10. Yo_Wattup

Yo_Wattup Kick the Butterfly

Like others have said, how did you "make" a guitar without understanding intonation? Not trolling, serious question.

11. ihavemetaled

ihavemetaled Djenthead

yeah im a n00b and by "building" i mean i bought a body and a neck. 0_0 seriously stop hating lol

uh and btw, I have no damn idea what intonation is. i just know how to guitar.

12. ihavemetaled

ihavemetaled Djenthead

So, will I be able to achieve drop F with some super heavy d'addarios or even an 8 strings set on 7 string without the top string? I'm just using ernie ball slinky 7. (dont hate lol i'm new to the whole thing about building your own guitar) xD

13. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

It's possible but you will need super thick strings and you may need to drill out the tuning peg for the F. You will struggle to intonate it correctly too.

Not worth the effort IMO.