Bareknuckle Boot Camp - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by OliOliver, Jul 21, 2019.

1. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Anyone have experience with these? I'm certainly curious but ironically the lack of specs (which is primarily their "simple" selling point) is making me apprehensive of trying them. Bea's demos sound absolutely killer, but nearly all of his demos do, so not sure if I should go off that.

I previously had Blackhawks in my ESP and found them a bit sterile, but I've grown tired of my Nazgul (way too much high end, possibly too hot, too). I'm interested in the Brute Force and maybe even the True Grit for a medium option, due to how much I enjoy the PAF 7s in my Prestige RG.

If anyone has experience and any idea of similarities, it'll be super helpful!

JK-PA likes this.
  2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Bare Knuckles are so 2007.

Adieu, Matt08642 and lewis like this.
  3. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

I've been known to start following trends long after they've ended.

4. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

2007 was a great year for metal tho

Said noone ever

Adieu likes this.
  5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Listen here. IIRC it was a fantastic year for metal core. EMG’s and 5150’s.

lewis and Smoked Porter like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

They're the cheapest BKPs out there, I've seen them go for basically new dimarzio pricing and lower. Just buy both and sell the one you don't like :lol:

7. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

I've never played them, but someone put a meter on the True Grit humbuckers and found the neck was 9.2k and the bridge 13.0k. OGs are A2, TGs are A5, BFs are Ceramic.

AkiraSpectrum and Alex79 like this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

DCR isn't that helpful tbh. It's not indicative of output or voicing.

Chris Bowsman likes this.
  9. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

I'm aware of this, but the OP asked for specs, and DCR + magnet are all BK ever gives anyways.

(That said, in this case, it does tell us something about the output, since you can't fit 13k of 42 AWG on a bobbin. This means it has to be a low-ish wound 43 AWG pickup, with output a smidge less than a Custom 5.)

10. KnightBrolaire

No, it really doesn't. Output is determined by number of winds and the magnet used, and is much more steady than DCR, which fluctuates with temperature, wire length, wire diameter and other factors.. DCR is more useful for comparing identical pickups and seeing the winding tolerances/magnet influence.
    Trying to equate DCR with output causes a lot of issues since there's high output but low DCR pickups like Bardens/Bill Lawrence and lower output but higher DCR pickups (elysian trident/bkp ragnarok, bkp juggernauts and a bunch of others).
    There is one attribute you can ballpark with DCR though, very generally speaking the more DCR there is then the more the high end gets attenuated (though there are obvious exceptions like the Elysian hellfire).

11. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

DCR fluctuations with temperature are trivial. While it's true that diameter and length both affect DCR, with a DCR of ~13k, we know it almost certainly has to be 43 AWG (can't fit 13k of 42 AWG on a bobbin, 13k of 44 AWG would have the shortest wire ever and, like, no winds), so diameter is really a known. That leaves just wire length, which can be assumed to correlate roughly with number of winds (albeit, in BK's case, their weird winidng patterns mean that a certain DCR will typically give you fewer winds than you expect). We know the magnet in this case (A5, BK lists that spec), and I think if they were doing anything funky with non-Nickel Silver baseplates or weird magnetic structures, someone would have mentioned it. Those factors give us a rough idea of the output.

They don't tell us anything about the voicing (because they could be doing all sorts of weird asymmetrical stuff -- especially in BKP's case, they almost never wind both coils the same), but it does tell us it's a low-med output pickup.

Zhysick likes this.
  12. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

What I'm learning here is that there's a lot more to pickups than I thought.

JesperX, Zhysick and XPT707FX like this.
  13. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

So basically it's a 5% underwound Seymour Duncan Custom 5 / Demon set.... or maybe a 10-15% underwound JB / slightly less underwound Demon

14. KnightBrolaire

ehh kind of. They're really just magnets and spools of wire that exert a magnetic field on strings at a base level. There are a bunch of aspects that can influence pickup voicing like the type of slug/magnet used/amount of wire/thickness of wire/how tightly wound it is or magnet type/thickness and the polepieces used. Once you start to understand certain characteristics it's not that hard. At the end of the day though, pickup voicing can vary even with similar polepieces/DCR/magnets so it's better just to try stuff on your own and form your own opinions.
    Unless someone feels like getting both sets of pickups and measuring their output in Millivolts/Henries against the bkps, I wouldn't rely on his claims. He's attempting to extrapolate way more info based off of DCR than he should, which is a stupid way to go about it. Dimarzio offers comparative outputs for their pickups and they use the Millivolt rating for that.

15. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

It won't be anything like the JB, the JB is 44 AWG wire not 43.