Bare Knuckle TKO (voiced specifically for Mayones guitars)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Acme, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

This will be interesting. Was thinking about selling my Regius Core 7, since I though I'm done with 7 strings, but may give it another chance with these pickups installed.

Quoting the official release notes:
    "Mayones and Bare Knuckle have a strong relationship going back many years so I was honoured when Dawid and his team asked me to design a custom humbucker set specifically for their guitars. The brief was to create a bridge and neck humbucker set voiced to reflect the playing styles of Mayones players and for the optimum translation of tone from these amazing guitars. Dawid sent over a Duvell and a Regius for me to use in R&D and over the course of several weeks the concept of the ‘TKO’ humbuckers was borne. A lot of Mayones customers play progressive, technical styles of rock so I decided to use a combination of ceramic powered bridge humbucker and Alnico V powered neck humbucker. This produces an excellent combination of power and range of tone, producing 3 very distinct tones from bridge, bridge/neck and neck selections on the pickup selector. Mayones guitars are extremely resonant due to the choice of premium timbers and construction methods and it was important that the pickups capitalised on this naturally rich, percussive tone. The ‘TKO’ bridge has plenty of output, bass notes track very quickly, mid range is punchy and highs sound full with plenty of weight behind each note. Neck tones are clean and open with a woody snap and great balance of output with the bridge. Mid position split coil tone is very tight and percussive with a very clear cut in the highs. Overall the ‘TKO’ humbuckers offer a wide range of saturated rhythm and lead tones coupled with dynamic cleans perfect for modern rock guitar styles and they’re the ultimate partner for Mayones Guitars." Tim Mills - Bare Knuckle Pickups
    TKO Bridge: DC Resistance: 16.1 kOhm, Magnet: Ceramic 8
    TKO Neck: DC Resistance: 9.5 kOhm, Magnet: Alnico V
    Available from January 2020"

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    LeoLmX, Zhysick, Masoo2 and 1 other person like this.
  2. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

If you're done with 7s, you're done with 7s. A marketing campaign isn't going to change that.

JesperX, USMarine75, Emperoff and 2 others like this.
  3. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Waiting for a BKP series specifically made to be matched with D'Addario strings.

USMarine75, _Mick_, Emperoff and 2 others like this.
  4. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

BKP marketing guys are geniouses at making people lust for their stuff no matter what. Same as Apple marketing guys. Those supremely banal commercials are truly works of advertising art. I mean, c'mon they make people buy their stuff just because it's white.

Now BKP makes people come back to seven strings with their new pickups. I wonder if any sports company will make gloves that make me want to practice kickboxing again lmao.

5. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

They will, just give them time, they figure out how to make you feel immediate and solid connection with every strike, while protecting, no cradling your hands and feet in soft fluffy clouds.

Emperoff and Flappydoodle like this.
  6. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

They also did this for Aristides, and those pickups really aren't that great. Kinda brittle sounding to me

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Yes...a pair of bkp's that sound exactly like a jb/jazz set.

kidding...

just seems a few years back every stock mayones was sold with that set.

gienek likes this.
  8. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

Looking forward to hearing these more. First thing I do is swap out the pups on my Mayones. I have some SFTY4’s on order while I save up for a Gothic Hydra 7.

9. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

I’ll stick with my BKP Illegitimates or whatever those Peter North signature pickups are called...