Bare Knuckle Suggestion

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MetalThrasher, Sep 13, 2019 at 8:41 PM.

1. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

I'm going to replace the bridge pickup in my Schecter C1 Apocalypse with a floyd. It has a swamp ash body with a set maple neck. I've never tried a BK before so I'm clueless on which ones would suite me. I play thrash metal with the guitar tuned to D standard through a 6505 and Mark V. My goto pickup is usually a Duncan SH5 if this helps.

2. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

And you are looking for a sound similar to the SH5? If that's the case then check out the Cold Sweat if you want it tight or the Nailbomb if you want it a bit boomy in the lows and bigger sounding.

3. teqnick

teqnick The only person that liked the new Faceless album

From my exp w/ BKP, you'd be surprised with how the vintage models excel in high gain territory. I would highly suggest considering something such as the mule, or black dog.

4. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Nailbomb!

Pick either alnico or ceramic to suit the instrument.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

thrash? through a mark you say? Holy diver. Works great for thrashy riffage or whatever you throw at it ime. It may be a tad bright in swamp ash but not as bad as a nailbomb would be on the high end ime.
    This one is more "old school" sounding but you'll get the point:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/5u6vq66jwoqpj1p/Hdiver_Mk3_thrash2.flac/file
    this one is also a a mishmash of riffs but a bit more modern sounding:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/jnlvdv3tmjpcnpk/Hdiver_javelin_Mk3_medley.flac/file

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 7:15 AM
  6. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

I'd say the Ragnarok will be a good match for those bright woods.

If you're not dead set on BKP, the Lundgren "The One" will probably be a great match for that guitar. It's kinda a more refined Warpig.

7. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

Thanks everyone. So far I'm kind of digging the stock bridge pickup but I'm still in the honeymoon phase with it. I'm going to give it a few weeks. If I decide to change the bridge pickup it looks like the ceramic nail bomb would suite me. My last question is... are BK pickups really worth spending the extra money vs a Duncan? Cheers all. Feels good to be playing again after 2 years. Life gets in the way at times.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

If you like the voicing of the pickup then it'll be worth it. They have some unique offerings that do their own thing. The overall quality is equally as good as duncan or dimarzio but you get a lot more visual customization options (if you want them). Plus you can always look for used pickups to start with. nailbombs pop up pretty frequently since a lot of people try those before delving further into BKP's lineup. It never hurts to shoot the guys over at BKP an email and see what they think as well.

Zhysick likes this.
  9. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

In my opinion only is worth it if you like the particular pickup. I love the Juggernauts and the Painkillers and I haven't found any other pickup that sound like that. I "can replace" the Painkiller with a Duncan Distortion and be happy enough (the Distortion is an amazing pickup) but I haven't found anything similar enough to the Juggernaut to say "it is replaceable" so, in that case: yes, it is worth the money.

If you don't find a pickup that is "exactly what you want" in the BKP catalogue then for sure the answer is no...

10. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Well, Duncans are pretty much 3-4 models that change polepieces or magnets and sell as a different model. JB = Distortion, Full Shred = Jazz, Pegasus = Omega, Custom =Custom 5=Custom Custom, etc. BKP models are very different between them. I personally like to mix brands between guitars.

I hear you. The Juggernaut is quite a unique sounding pickup, and probably why is kinda love/hate pickup. It has a scooped voicing but not scooped in the typical way. Instead of boosted highs and lows, it has boosted low mids and high mids with a dip in the center, while having the extreme high and lows cut. So it's fat and agressive without being harsh.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019 at 9:39 PM
    chopeth and Zhysick like this.
  11. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

imo Duncan makes all the best thrash pickups