Bare Knuckle potentiometers

WillyTheMLGPro

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting a bunch of the Bare Knuckle CTS pots and was wondering if any has had any experience with them compared to normal CTS pots?
It mentions on their site for their 550K pots that "The increased resistance over standard 500K pots opens out the upper frequency range and allows the full harmonic richness of our hand wound coils to shine through, improving detail and clarity."
So I was curious if anyone can confirm that but also if anyone has tried them with other brands of pickups and have had the same effect?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I never found them to be a night/day difference. They do what they say, they are a bit brighter than normal 500k CTS pots.

If you need that extra "1%" kind of thing they're worth trying, but they're not magic.

If you really want that feeling of "taking the blanket off", just grab some 1meg pots. Now there's a night and day difference...for better or worse.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you really want that feeling of "taking the blanket off", just grab some 1meg pots. Now there's a night and day difference...for better or worse.
I've never tried 1meg pots (all my guitars have their stock 500k pots), but I can't imagine them improving the tone of a pickup unless it's on the dark side. Plenty of people seem to swear by them, irrespective of pickup voicing, but 1meg pots in my guitars equipped with a Super 2 / D Activator / PAF Pro in the neck would surely not be an improvement.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never tried 1meg pots (all my guitars have their stock 500k pots), but I can't imagine them improving the tone of a pickup unless it's on the dark side. Plenty of people seem to swear by them, irrespective of pickup voicing, but 1meg pots in my guitars equipped with a Super 2 / D Activator / PAF Pro in the neck would surely not be an improvement.

I never said it's an "improvement", just that there's definitely a big difference. They're noticeably brighter, and that can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
"The increased resistance over standard 500K pots opens out the upper frequency range and allows the full harmonic richness of our hand wound coils to shine through, improving detail and clarity."

Now that's some high level bullshit right there :lol:

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I never said it's an "improvement", just that there's definitely a big difference. They're noticeably brighter, and that can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for.
I got that from your original post, sorry...just adding my thoughts not questioning yours.

owlexifry

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
due to tolerances/variations in resistance in pots, these are probably just regular 500k CTS pots that are 'selected' for these higher values '550k' with a multimeter.

50k difference wouldn't be that noticeable, probably within the margin of error/tolerance of a 500k pot (CTS pots usually have a 10% tolerance)

as mentioned above you could try a 1meg pot for a real significant difference.

if you like the change with a larger resistance pot, but find 1meg is too much, you could try running a 2.2meg resistor across the 1M pot (lug 1 to 3), for an equivalent 688k resistance (although this can alter the taper a little bit).
1657584253780.png
(im actually gonna try this real soon on my modded RG550 with it's single 1meg vol pot.
with this rg550 (+dimarzio titan) ive found 1meg is just too bright/sterile sounding, and so rather than ordering another 500k pot, for now im just gonna solder a 2.2meg resistor across it to bring it down to ~688k)

hamoftruth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Huw Price, formerly of Guitar.com, tested several potentiometers values and taper vs vintage Centralabs and found that the BKP were the closest overall in both domains.

However, your run of the mill Alpha pots were a close second, so do with that what you will. I like the BKP 550k pots in my old Heritage H150.

Giest

Never a tune you can dance to.
Contributor
Reaction score
I use the BKP 550k pots in all my passive guitars and they sound viscous. It's not a big difference, but it's an important one ime.

aWoodenShip

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seeing as how my RGA121's pots have finally given up I've been looking into new ones and this thread has me interested in 1M pots. Tho I'm also leaning towards a push/pull and finding a wire diagram that bypasses the tone knob altogether like the Jackson Juggernauts.