Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Hoss632, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

Anyone on the forum have experience with this set? I spoke with Bare knuckle directly and they recommended this for the type of tone and tuning that I use in my guitar. Just curious to hear anyone's thoughts.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've had the Cold Sweat neck before and it's great for lead work. Modern voicing for Petrucci-type shredding like the Liquifire, but with better articulation and less top end rolled off. It'll do good cleans, but that's more of a bonus than its primary function.

If BKP themselves recommend that set, then it's a safe bet. They've been very helpful to me in the past :2c:

sirbuh likes this.
  3. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I have a set in my Eclipse tuned to Eb.

The neck is great for leads, very fluid and smooth. Never sounds harsh. I use it for hard rock and metal leads. I like the CS the best out of all my other neck pickups (SD A2P, 59, Fluence alnico modern and an EMG 60A). Of course in different guitars it will sound a bit different.

The bridge pickup could use a bit more output and a bit less bass for my taste, but it's serviceable for rock and metal rhythms. To me it doesn't sound really good in anything lower than D, where it gets a bit muddy.

4. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

How would you compare the bridge cold sweat to say something like a Duncan JB?

5. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Cold sweat pairs nicely with a BKN Nailbomb from experience!

6. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Less middy, less honky, more bass, a lot tighter. Less output but because of increased bass response it feels hotter, but just bigger. The highs are very different as in the JB the highs are very rolled off but that high mids spike make the pickup very present and cutting, the CS is brighter but the highs are strong, very present but a different frequency...

They are very different pickups. 99% of the times I would prefer a CS over a JB... I would only chose the JB if I were only going to play leads with that guitar... it's the only situation where a JB can be better than another pickup, and not all the time...

7. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I agree, the CS bridge is a bit scooped and has more bass than the JB. On my rig it feels like the JB has more output, but I run the bass EQ pretty low and the treble EQ fairly high so it might just accentuate the JB's strength a bit more.

If I had the cash I'd get the CS neck and another BKP bridge, perhaps a HD or a RY.

Zhysick likes this.
  8. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

The Miracle Man is the “bigger boom” relative to the Cold Sweat. I only know this from the discussions on the BKP forum, I’ve only ever used Miracle Mans. A much overlooked pickup in my opinion.
    A CS neck and MM bridge is a common combo.

Zhysick likes this.
  9. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I must say that the Miracle man is MUCH closer to the tone that I was hearing in my head. Thank you for that suggestion!

10. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I actually kind of miss it now! Damn, why did you start this thread! *checks Facebook marketplace for used pickups*

I did pair mine with a VHII though, although as I said the CS or the MM neck also are common combinations.
    The VHII worked fine.
    The MM does sound and feel different depending on the guitar you put it in, though. I don't know what guitar you told BKP you would get, so maybe that is part of the reason why they recommended the CS and not the MM.

11. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I have a Schecter C-1 platinum. So I told em mahogany body, maple top and maple neck with a rosewood board. Guitar is tuned to drop C sharp. Told them I was going for me punk like tones like Green Day's dookie album, blink 182 and something that could handle some heavier stuff into metal, but not very modern sounding. So they suggested the cold sweat based off that. The miracle man though seems a little hotter than the cold sweat which I liked.

12. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

The MM is perfect for that type of guitar.
    I can see why the recommended the Cold Sweat. It’s more a rock and punk pickup, while the MM is more metal so to speak.

Zhysick likes this.
  13. potatohead

potatohead SS.org Regular

I have similar guitars with both pickups, one a CS set and the other just an MM bridge, both are mahogany, CS has maple top and MM Ash top. CS is drop C and MM is D standard.

- MM has a bit more output and mid end presence/fizz (still way less than a JB)
    - MM has WAY more lows, especially low mids, and is darker overall, however...
    - MM also slightly brighter in the upper highs

CS is smoother, feels a bit lower output and more even EQ, less scooped. Both are pretty tight in the low end. With the low end thump of the MM I can see why its recommended in bright guitars, maple neck thrus a lot.

The ceramic Nailbomb is basically a "Cold Sweat plus" if you want a bit more output.

14. Addie5150

Addie5150 Amidst the chaos

Cold sweat is a great pick up.
    But so are the MM and holy diver in mahogany

potatohead likes this.
  15. swollseyba

swollseyba SS.org Regular

I have a CS set in my Regius 6.

I don't agree that they get muddy at lower tunings. I am pretty sure TesseracT used CS pickups on their earlier recordings.
    I normally keep the guitar in drop C and there's nothing remotely muddy about the tones I get out of it.

I have found the bridge pickup to be super tight.

potatohead and Zhysick like this.
  16. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Is the Regius ash? I find the CS a bit muddy in my mahogany Eclipse. Might be just the guitar though.

17. swollseyba

swollseyba SS.org Regular

tis indeed the ash variant..

that certainly could have something to do with it

18. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Don't the ESP Eclipses has a full mahogany body? I mean, even the quilted top ones are just veneers, no? Maybe I am wrong but if not then that explains why the muddiness with a CS in the bridge because a Les Paul shape without a thick maple top (flamed, quilted or plain, doesn't matter) is a very very dark guitar...

19. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

It depends on the model. The Japanese ESP models (including the old SS) have a proper maple cap, even the solid colour ones. However they also have thinner bodies and no weight relief, so overall probably less maple than a Les Paul.

Zhysick likes this.
  20. IronSean

IronSean SS.org Regular

As @Alex79 says above it depends a lot on the model. I've got an Edwards Eclipse and an LTD EC-1000ET both with full maple caps (though I think the actual quilt is just a venreer on at least the LTD). But that EC-1000 model is an outlier in that it specifically calls out a maple cap on the body wood, lots of their other LTD EC models do not.

There's also a handful of variants, there are some Eclipse models that are full thickness, but most are a bit thinner than your average LP Standard.

Currently the E-II eclipse line all seems to be full Mahogany with a vaneer other than the E-II Eclipse Full Thickness model, and the E-II Eclipse Red Sparkle model. That's a bit surprising, so you might be right that he might not have a maple cap on his Eclipse.

Zhysick likes this.