Bands that you wish had different vocalists.....

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by wowspare, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metaljohn

metaljohn SS's Only Dick Butt

I always imagined what Cradle Of Filth would sound like with the vocalist from Anaal Nathrakh (granted that he was doing his more straightforward live vocal style as opposed to his over the top studio vocal style, also replacing most of the female singers lines with his "opera/power metal" style singing).

2. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I love death metal but you're bringing up another huge problem with the genre; the lyrics are generally terrible :lol:. Regardless of of vocal delivery, who wants to listen to songs about ....ing corpses? :ugh:

3. HurrDurr

HurrDurr Lord of all Things

I just don't like James' voice at all. I love their music and Lebrie does have his moments, but sometimes I wonder how their entire catalogue would sound had Dominici stayed on board. I loved his vocal work on their debut.

thesnowdog likes this.
  4. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Why does "a vocalist who can actually keep up with him" necessarily mean clean singing? Mohammeds grunts are (imo) extraordinarily boring. No variation, nothing. Not only do I not like his grunts in general, they sound exactly the same throughout the song. Every single song. It's as if the bassist would just play open E string throughout the song. It might be meant that way, and he has to play the guitar at the same time, but compare that with Nile for example.

5. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Given Troys posts over the years I've been here I feel quite safe in assuming by "a vocalist who can keep up" he meant a vocalist who employed clean vocals specifically and wasn't merely alluding to a desire for some variation in the delivery, be it pitch or texture; I could get behind the latter, and certainly see where he's coming from there; but since even a few days ago he stated his hatred of screaming/growling/grunting I won't pretend that's what he's looking for.

Furthermore, I have no problem with people disliking that vocal style in general, but he's become nothing less than insufferable about it.

stevexc likes this.
  6. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

OK, I didn't know that. What he wrote just sounded so much like what I thought about them that I assumed Troy might just want to say pretty much what I wrote. I love screaming/growling/grunting, I just hate Muhammeds vocals.

7. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

I've never heard a band use growling in that way. Yeah I'd probably hate it, but you show me someone growling melodies, arpeggios, harmonies, counterpoint, etc. and I'd at least be intrigued enough to give it a chance.

It's one thing to have some aggression in vocals, it's entirely another to only "sing" one single distorted note with varying rhythms and indecipherable lyrics throughout every song.

Further: What is wrong with a "wannabe opera singer"? The Necrophagist guy is just a "wannabe Paganini" on guitar and that is cool as hell. Imagine if he only played a 1-string guitar and only used 1 hand. That's effectively what he does on vocals and it is not fitting a "technical" band of any sort.

Why is an extended range guitar or bass good but vocals with any range at all are bad (especially if that range goes into the tenor register or above, apparently)?

8. tripguitar

tripguitar Settler of Catan

i just cant imagine melodic signing over necrophagist. but well said, i agree with you.

pertaining the the thread title... INTERVALS. just saw them and the singer was boring on stage, wasnt hitting the notes, and even when he did his melodies and vocal lines just sound completely uninspired. I'm ok that they wanted to add a vocalist, but that band deserves better.

9. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Neither have I honestly, and that's why I'd be totally on board with someone trying it. In my own experience the technique used if you really want to get the sound of your throat shredding itself apart (which most people go for) severely limits your range; such that you only have within a handful of notes depending on what general frequency you're aiming for (low, mid, high). Edit: I think Iron Cross had a few tracks on their self titled album where the singer pushed his voice really hard and was still hitting pitches, but he was still primarily doing clean vocals on the album. Also Plasmatics "Coup d'Etat" album. Also Emperors - Prometheus album features a bit of that.

If I dial things back a bit I actually can run through arpeggios and whatnot, although I'd hesitate to say I'm particularly accurate, and still retain the "aggressive" tone but some of my natural voice also shows through. At that point you're essentially doing some variant of throat singing without the overtones.

Some people don't want any semblance of humanity behind the vocals, as melodramatic as that sounds. :lol: So for them that's not really desirable.

I don't think I've ever once characterized clean vocals themselves as being undesirable. I'm not going to whine that the vocals aren't "cool" or "brootal" enough if someone turns on some Gamma Ray, Villain, (later) Running Wild or whatever. I just don't believe the vocal style to be desirable for the aims of death metal in particular; some vocal styles lend themselves to certain genres more than others. I have zero problem listening to "real" singing.

To get back on topic (and since I'm thinking of clean vocals now):

This guy, at times on the album he reminds me a little bit of the singer for Dream Evil, but he unintentionally backslides in to this weird Sean Connery impersonation every once in a while that is absolutely hilarious. I think another singer would have been a little less unintentionally amusing.

10. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Another victim of the "We should have a singer, which one of us sucks the least?" approach of choosing a vocalist. IIRC they just put their bass player on vocals.

Perhaps it's just a supply problem. I have only ever actually met one good amateur singer who had any interest in metal and he was in like 3 bands already. Guitar players who are pretty decent are a dime a dozen and they can also play bass, and Superior Drummer takes care of drums these days, so the only thing in short supply (for recording at least) is talented vocalists.

11. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Has anyone mentioned Feared yet? I love the instrumental bits of it, but their vocalist and vocals are offensively terrible.

12. wowspare

wowspare 7String's new kid

I'm quite surprised that so many people mentioned Nevermore..... I liked Warrel Dane's vocals.

He kind of sounds power metal-ish, without being all cheesy and pretentious like most power metal vocalists

13. The_Mop

The_Mop Want to make $60?

Joe Satriani. That is all.

14. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

Because it wouldn't fit the music at all, if Necrophagist had Ronnie James Dio singing over the same music they play normally it would sound terrible.

15. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Came in here expecting to be the lone ranger to mention Dream Theater only to see practically the entire forum beat me to it. :lol:

16. blister7321

blister7321 SS.org Regular

the wonder years(and most other bands trying to copy the new found glory style) lol
    and most of the bands ive heard over the past couple years haha

as far as the death metal comments on previous pages goes, we need more john gallaghers and less whiney shit

also im glad jessie is back in KSE i wasnt too fond of howards voice

17. Bretton

Bretton SS.org Regular

y'all suck,

Warrel Dane, Tommy Rogers, Troy/Brent/Brann those guys all make/made the bands.

18. Adventrooster

Adventrooster 7SNOOB

I'm actually shocked. I think I'm the sole James Labrie fan. I can't imagine them without him.

19. FretsOnFyre

FretsOnFyre SSO's sociopath

Me too! He's honestly one of my favorite vocalists atm.

20. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

We'll agree to disagree :dio:

Oh come on, it's become so common to hate on LaBrie that it's almost a cliche now :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.