Bands that use intentional dissonance

Depraved

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can you guys give me examples of bands or songs that intentionally use harsh dissonance ? :)

Before anyone says it, yes I already jam Yüth Forever ( formerly Villains ) :)

CTID

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Rizzo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd say Gorguts and all their subsequent legacy. Period.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure if you're open to other types of music, but Hurt (from NIN) has a dissonant note in the verse.

And Sonic Youth pretty much recorded an entire career of dissonant notes.

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How has no one mentioned The Dillinger Escape Plan yet?

Also want to second Botch, Ulcerate, and Gorguts

Reaction score
Gorguts
Ulcerate
Artificial Brain
Castevet
Dysrhythmia
Frontierer
Gigan
Leviathan
Lurker Of Chalice
The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza
Thantifaxath
Wormed
Wormlust
Dystrophy
Zhrine
MRTVI
Slidhr
SVARTIDAUÐI
Plebian Grandstand
That should keep you occupied for awhile

The Mirror

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I expand on that question, for I really like the topic:

Is there a band that intentionally uses dissonance without the use of cookie monster / hardcore vocals?

I'd really love something like a modern metal Primus, but I just can't stand the vocals in most links I just clicked there.

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
Can you guys give me examples of bands or songs that intentionally use harsh dissonance ? :)

Before anyone says it, yes I already jam Yüth Forever ( formerly Villains ) :)

Jute Gyte
Blut Aus Nord
Deathspell Omega
Portal
Axis of Perdition

Rizzo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I expand on that question, for I really like the topic:

Is there a band that intentionally uses dissonance without the use of cookie monster / hardcore vocals?
Well, the use of atonal vocals (growling\screaming is substantially pitchless from a musical standpoint) actually complements and gives proper harmonic freedom to the music.
Using pitched (and specifically melodic) vocals would be nonsense as it would harmonically clash with the already crazy instrumental arrangement.
Seems to me that bands using dissonance as well as melody (see Dillinger) usually have clean vocals only if together with "regular" diatonic harmony in the specific arrangement section (pretty much). Either that, or they use just passing and "acceptable" dissonant tones (occasional isolated minor 2nds).

So IMHO you would have to go for dissonant\atonal vocals as well to find a fittng niche for them in the arrangement.

That's to me the beauty of dirty vocals and why they fit dissonant music so well: you can just use the voice as another "instrument", to add texture while not worrying for its harmonic coherence at all.

That's my perspective and I know pretty much nothing of music theory so I could be wrong. But I think that's a nice topic to discuss upon :)

How has no one mentioned The Dillinger Escape Plan yet?

Also want to second Botch, Ulcerate, and Gorguts
Yup seconded. I would just mention DEP for the (modern) hardcore side of things and Gorguts for the metal side of things. All of the following bands are pretty much influenced by at least one of the two, one way or another.

Nick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why has noone mentioned Ion Dissonance?!

Also

Portal
Artificial Brain
Gorguts
Ulcerate
Altars
Deathspell Omega
Bestia Arcana
Immolation
Hate Eternal
Svartidaudi - Check them out
Sinmara
Mitochondrion
Auroch

Fraz666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
dissonance in vocals?
the seventies have given us good things

Andrew May

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, the use of atonal vocals (growling\screaming is substantially pitchless from a musical standpoint) actually complements and gives proper harmonic freedom to the music.
Using pitched (and specifically melodic) vocals would be nonsense as it would harmonically clash with the already crazy instrumental arrangement.
Seems to me that bands using dissonance as well as melody (see Dillinger) usually have clean vocals only if together with "regular" diatonic harmony in the specific arrangement section (pretty much). Either that, or they use just passing and "acceptable" dissonant tones (occasional isolated minor 2nds).

So IMHO you would have to go for dissonant\atonal vocals as well to find a fittng niche for them in the arrangement.

That's to me the beauty of dirty vocals and why they fit dissonant music so well: you can just use the voice as another "instrument", to add texture while not worrying for its harmonic coherence at all.

I'd never really thought about it like that before. I'm constantly impressed with solutions and ideas untrained musicians come up with without "understanding" the theory behind it. I mean the bands that is, there's a hundred bands screaming because "that's what you do in X genre" but I guess it caught on because it works in that musical context (among other reasons). There's a whole spectrum of harsh vocals of course that fall outside of that context but interesting nonetheless.

You could though, borrow from 20thC composition and avant garde music to incorporate atonal vocals into atonal metal etc. Schoenberg's tone poems, ideas from Harry Partch's vocal music, avant Jazz techniques, sung tone rows, choral tone clusters etc. Most of these ideas require a greater degree of training, theory and practice than the average cookie monster can muster though!

The Mirror

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Yes and No. After all guttural vocals are a form of "distorted" singing, but just as distorted guitars work, it doesn't change the sung/played note, but only transforms it's sound.

It is totally possible to play atonal music without any form of distortion.

The origins of modern atonal music lie after all in the twelve tone music from Arnold Schönberg and his new use of classical instruments, as Andrew May already wrote.

Thus it is absolutely possible to create atonal modern metal and rock with clean vocals.

Or as I said already: I'd love to have a modern metal version of Primus, as Les Claypool creates atonal/dissonant rock with clean vocals.