Bands that never lived up the hype or their potential

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
This Godless Endeavour was a 10/10 for me and I still can't believe they followed it up with that album. Maybe I should go back and listen to it with fresh ears since I only gave it one spin. I recall Peter Wichers having a lot of input and the band struggling to record which may have changed up the sound so much.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This Godless Endeavour was a 10/10 for me and I still can't believe they followed it up with that album. Maybe I should go back and listen to it with fresh ears since I only gave it one spin. I recall Peter Wichers having a lot of input and the band struggling to record which may have changed up the sound so much.
I also had high expectations after TGE. Obsidian Conspiracy just felt like they dialed it in on most of the tracks and they weren't as inspired as their previous albums. I really liked what Peter did with Praises to the War Machine.

The Mirror

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean sure after "The Godless Endeavour" "Obsidian Conspiracy" sure is quite a step down. Doesn't change the fact that "She Comes in Colors" has probably the catchies Nevermore riff ever. I love that track.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
For me it’s Hacktivist. There was a lot of hype around the band in 2013 and a lot of people were hoping that they would release their debut album soon in order to capitalise on their explosion onto the UK scene. Their set at Download Festival combined with multiple European festival appearances made many people at the time think that they were going to the British RATM. But the songs that came after were just generic djent riffs and lyrics that were literally just ‘fuck the system’ with no finesse and limited scope.

On top of that, the debut album came out too late (2016) for them to make a bigger name for themselves as well as two of the original members leaving (one of the vocalists and the guitarist), they’ve kind of fallen by the wayside. Although they’ve released a new album and put out new music, it feels like they haven’t gone anywhere since the peak of the hype that surrounded the band.

Oh and King 810, remember in 2014 when Roadrunner were trying to get all of the metal publications to say that they were going to be the next big thing?
Fuck King 810, meth head losers from Flint.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Reaction score
Fuck King 810, meth head losers from Flint.
Damn, I remember hearing that name. Didn't take much reading back in the day to conclude that "Wow, yeah, these guys are actual, factual criminals."

Apparently at least the singer is also a Trumper to boot. He was at the January 6th riot.

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Damn, I remember hearing that name. Didn't take much reading back in the day to conclude that "Wow, yeah, these guys are actual, factual criminals."

Apparently at least the singer is also a Trumper to boot. He was at the January 6th riot.
They stole a bunch of shit from a house party/show here in Toledo like 10 years ago if I remember correctly.

estabon37

Melodica Attack!
Reaction score
Not to turn the thread into a whole other topic, but it really seems like the majority of the bands listed here are 2000s-era bands, and I don't really know how any of them could financially afford to really live up to their own hype. A ton of my favourite bands kicked off in the 90s, which was basically the last point in time when bands could release an album, it becomes a hit, and they walk away at least somewhat financially stable. After it became possible to pirate music, and once streaming wound up being the 'acceptable middleground' that just doesn't actually generate any money for artists, and after record labels wound up taking a cut of ticket sales and merchandise (let's not even get into Ticketmaster), I don't think a band like Trivium - who have been mentioned a lot here - could actually financially afford to do anything other than put out an album and tour it every 2-3 years regardless of whether they or anybody else thinks the quality of the material actually matches their previous output.

Closer to topic, Protest The Hero has been mentioned here a bit, and I thought Palimpsest was genius. I really thrashed it for a little while there. I also initially found it impossible to buy a copy of the album, and I can't help feeling that my several dozen spins on Spotify likely wouldn't have even bought the band half a Snickers. I'm not even blaming the pirates / streamers here; it really seems the music industry killed the music industry by prioritising popular media over creative arts every single fucking time.

Edit: Fucking typo. Bourbon is my best friend and worst enemy.

Tool jira shugg

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This hurts to say because they’re still currently my 3rd favorite band of all time, but Between the Buried and Me.

Since Coma Ecliptic, it just seems like they’re blatantly trying to mimic other bands and be as corny as possible doing it. For me, there’s barely anything memorable from the last few albums they’ve put out.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Born of Osiris peaked at The New Reign y'all crazy.

Whaaaaat? The Discovery is awesome and they only one that I can actually remember lol

Spawn of Possession - Incurso was one of the best Tech albums ever, and now they're gone
I wouldn't say they missed their potential though. Everything they put out was great, and the quality only got better with each album. They said the SoP sound was creatively exhausted (I can believe that since the song structures were ridiculously dense) and I fully respect that instead of putting out half assed material. Probably better for them to go out on top than to put out a bunch of meh material and fade away

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Days of the New
One of my all time favorites and a huge influence on my acoustic playing. I've seen them several times in concert and hung out after the shows and it's such a shame what happened to Travis. First time I met him, he was the nicest guy, a few years later he'd ditched the band and was very paranoid. Last time he was a few shades above homeless in his appearance and was in poor health. He's the poster child for "just say no to drugs"...so much squandered talent.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
I just thought of Ne Obliviscaris today. They have a couple of great songs... but also, mostly filler stuff that is just downright boring.

You could just label the boring songs as "prog", but I seriously think that band could have so much more potential if they wrote better songs.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score

I really liked The Obsidian Conspiracy when it came out :shrug: To be fair though, it was the first Nevermore album I listened to enough to get into properly, so I guess maybe I'd be more disappointed if it came out today...

Crundles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Yeah, This Godless Endeavour will probably remain my number 1 most favourite album in metal, and The Obsidian Conspiracy, uh, is definitely one of the albums that Nevermore recorded.

It does have some pretty decent songs, and I still think Emptiness Unobstructed is a super cool and accessible Nevermore song, but ... yeah.

For real, tho, it's a nice song:

BusinessMan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll mention periphery again. They have everything i like in metal, but it just falls flat. Another is monuments. I love John browne's playing, I love the guitar playthroughs, but other than a couple songs I can't get into it.