Bands That Have A Huge Live Sound

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by The Beard, Jul 14, 2010.

1. The Beard

The Beard Suttbex

You all know of those live bands that when they play it's just a glorious ear-pleasing wall of sound that just sounds enormous :agreed:

I just came across Devy's latest video and in the video is a live recording of him on tour playing "Kingdom". His voice is sounding better than ever :bowdown:
    And they sound IMMENSELY huge :metal:
    It starts around 0:27 in the video

Can you guys share some other bands that have huge live sound as well? :yesway:

jhonson and Variant like this.
  2. matty2fatty

matty2fatty SS.org Regular

Lamb of God. There's nothing like getting hit in the face with elbows and punched in the gut with bass drums at the same time.

3. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

The last band i saw live that blew my mind was Periphery. When they played that opening breakdown I felt like Goku just turned Super Saiyan level 1 :hbang:

It was enormous and destructive :lol:

(pun intended :D)

4. asher

asher So Did We

oh this. I really want to see them again, since when I did see them, they were opening for Metallica (which was a very epic concert), and wasn't familiar with them yet.

Dethklok was pretty bloody awesome too.

5. 7StringGuy5150

7StringGuy5150 SS.org Regular

lamb of god definitly...mastodon as well,ive seen them a few times and mastodon fits em cuz its like a stampede of sound

6. The Beard

The Beard Suttbex

I saw them live with Metallica as well! The only thing was they could've turned the guitars up a LOT more, they were reallllllly quiet, especially compared to the bass drum :lol:

7. NaYoN

NaYoN Heavy Blog Is Heavy

After the Burial. At every beat, their sound make my heart skip a beat. It was so immense.

8. Riffer

Riffer WHAT

Devin Townsend was amazing when I saw him live back in February. I was on the side of the stage and my jaw was on the floor the whole time. He looked over at me and my girlfiend and we were the only people on stage right, and he just gave me a crazy ass look like he just lost his mind and started breathing through his teeth really heavy in like a metal face but 100 times more epic. Another band who has a really huge sound is In Flames. I saw them with A Life Once Lost and Children of Bodom back in 2008 and they were so good. So much energy and the mix was perfect. It sounded like I was engulfed in music.

9. Blackhearted

Blackhearted SS.org Regular

Chimaira. Hands down one of the most huge live sounds ever. These guys tore open the venue opening for Disturbed. Gave them a run for their money show-wise, played light-years better than KSE and Lacuna Coil. Incredible sound. Played my favorite song too. I felt so bad for them because not many people there knew them. I did manage to get my uber-shirt and copy of The Infection signed by them before the show. Great disc, by the way.

10. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

I think this one goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway lol

Meshuggah!

Also, Cynic. I think their sound is actually better live than on record.

11. asher

asher So Did We

their sound was great :fawk:

unfortunately, to respond to someone else, when Mastodon was on before Dethklok they had some minor sound issues - vocals were especially hard to hear and the guitars weren't mixed so well. rather disappointing.

12. Variant

Variant Banned

Not so much in the heavy factor, but Porcupine Tree are the fullest, most complete sounding band I've heard in years and years. :agreed: Even here in The States, they opted to bring a huge caché of equipment, and go all out to nail a perfect performance. Impressive considering Wilson doesn't care much for live performance. :lol:

13. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

For a one-guitar band, Tool have sounded so huge everytime I see them live.

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Xerath sound huge every time i see them, like ridiculously huge.

Same can be said for Dark Tranquillity too, they were pretty mind blowing

15. meisterjager

meisterjager Now available in HD

Machine Head are pretty amazing sounding live

16. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Meshuggah.
    They went withthe Axe FX direct to FOH when I saw them (bass guitar was POD XT Pro direct to FOH), and I've never heard a more clear, crushing and massive live sound than that.

17. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Have to say I was a little underwhelmed by Periphery's live sound when I saw them live.
    The other support band (Maylene and the Sons of Disaster) and the headliner, The Dillinger Escape Plan both sounded way clearer and more defined than Periphery.
    It was a shame, because Periphery put on a very good performance and played perfectly, but I think had they chosen to go direct to FOH with their Axe FX rather than using mic'd up cabs, it would have sounded clearer, because the 3 guitars on stage just made it sound a little mushy at times.

18. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Def Agree with Machine Head they were just a sledgehammer to the face, the couple times I seen them.

Also have to say regardless what many think of Metallica, live they sound amazing. Period. seen them like 5 times and every time they are incredible. Wembley couple years back with Machine Head & Mastadon, the O2 shows last year, but Earls Court back in 2004. best sounding show I have ever been to. clear as fcuk but just like a truck hitting you at 90mph when they kicked in....

19. josh pelican

josh pelican Banned

Motorhead. Plain and simple.

20. TreWatson

TreWatson Pro Thread Killer

unearth, fo sho.

the way that the guitar tones sounded alone was amazing, vut the mix with drums and bass had everything sounding complete.

i love one thing about them.

their kick drum gives you tthat little "sucking/sinking" feeling right square in your chest. i love that.