Bands that got worse with time

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by linchpin, Aug 30, 2012.

1. PostOrganic

PostOrganic Empty

Well Scepter was basically perfect so you can only really go downhill from that. :lol:

New album is still pretty damn good though.

2. CannibalKiller

CannibalKiller Banned

Although that sounds completely retarded, I give you props for having the balls to say that. :lol:

3. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

I have the exact same opinion!!:hbang:

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

There's not many bands out there that have maintained quality imo. Machine Head have had peaks and troughs. Unto the Locust never really grabbed me but blackening and ashes were awesome. Supercharger was dire. 1st 3 albums were pretty good.

Far too many bands decline over the years. I usually have my music on random at all times and Green Day came on (Longview) and all I could think was why can't they go back to writing songs about wanking??

Just to turn things slightly I've been thinking about bands who have stayed consistent.
    36 Crazyfists
    Deftones
    Foo Fighters
    Protest the Hero
    Reuben
    Skindred
    Tool

That's about all I can come up with on the consitently good albums. I love Meshuggah and Coheed and Cambria but they've all had some sort of blip somewhere along the line.

5. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

The first band that popped in my head was Dream Theater. Amazing group of musicians, but I can't remember the last time I had even the slightest urge to want to listen to Dream Theater. I really liked 8va and then they quickly went down the drain after. That generic, predictable goth/metal or whatever you want to call it that they've been doing is so uninteresting. Sure, there's a cool riff/lick/solo/nugget here or there, but overall... no.

6. SuperMutant

SuperMutant Banned

Did you just call dream theater goth metal? You must be on acid....

7. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

prog goth

mmmm......:idea:

8. rawrkunjrawr

rawrkunjrawr Captain Shnazzy

It's Linkin Park for me, loved their first two albums but after that, nothing.

off topic, the girl in SuperMutant's avatar is a real looker.

9. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

For me these are the bands that I loved their first 2 or 3 albums and I just havent been able to digest their newer efforts

1. In flames- Sorry clayman and colony are my faves. Reroute to remain was the last I bought

2. Killswitch engage. - first two rocked, then the end of heartache peaked and now they seem lost. Or maybe its me who is lost

3. Korn- First album had pure raw aggression. newest release is a let down for me. But im an avid "dont mix your dance with your metal" guy.

4. Megadeth - Killed it with Peace sells but whos buying? Then went to "megadeth sells out" and no one is buying. Now with drove gone and broderick in it seems they are trying again but like metallica I think its a too little too late effort.

5. Metallica - There are simply no more quick and witty things to say about this situation. Except maybe that the latest metallica album (death magnetic) isnt so much a return to their roots but rather the new metallica trying to make a new metallica record and missing the mark.

10. Black Mamba

Black Mamba SS.org Regular

You're telling me Megadeth only put out 2 albums before they sold out? I think you're forgetting So Far So Good So What, and the classic Rust In Peace. Also, the only album I think people can say they "sold out" on was Risk, (even though I love the album), but to each his own. :)

11. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

I'll have to add Marilyn Manson too..

12. SuperMutant

SuperMutant Banned

Rust in peace is the best thrash metal album ever made, not a single bad song on there and its the reason I started playing guitar...

Just listen to the the solo in tornado of souls by marty and the one in lucretia by dave :shred: :shred: :shred:

Black Mamba likes this.
  13. TheFerryMan

TheFerryMan Sauvage

I would say Trivium, but they are a special case for me.
    I honestly just wish they would pick a direction and stick with it.
    Ember to Inferno was meh to me but then they followed that up with Ascendency which was great. After that they released The Crusade, which had a few decent songs on it but ultimately fell flat.

After releasing that they let loose Shogun, which is my favorite album by them...and then came in Waves. how do you get a drummer as talented as Nick and restrain how he plays is beyond me. The only saving grace is that however bad CD A is CDB is usually as good as CD A was bad...so the next album just may be the best trivium album yet.

TL:DR: Trivium

also Disturbed, Linkin Park, Metallica. And Protest the hero( I think they hit their peak with Fortress.)

14. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

With the past couple albums, yea I'd lean toward some kind of crappy goth metal. Lol I couldn't care for genre titles, so prog goth it is.

Sorry for the confusion, you may all continue with the interwebz now.

15. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

Ohhh god, I have tons of these...these are the main ones that stick out to me...they're not necessarily bands that I hate now, I'll still listen to them, but their direction kinda went south for me:

1. Devil Driver - They used to kick so much ass, saw them live in 2006 - god they killed it with Trivium and In Flames. Then they started to just lose steam, and wrote sub-par records. Cue Dez joining CC again and I stopped listening to them.
    2. Trivium - After they lost their old drummer they kinda started to suck. Ascendancy was amazing, Crusade showed they could actually play guitar, Shogun was riveting, In Waves was....uh...lame. I still like them, I've seen them 3 times, they just started to not interest me.
    3. Keane - TOTALLY not a metal band here - British indie pop band that hooked me in early 2004/05 with Hopes and Fears - that album is still a masterpiece, absolutely beautiful songwriting. Then they got a little bit more peppy and electronic, and sound like every other band on the radio. What happened to originality, people?!?! :(
    4. Daath - Their first album was unbelievably varied. Anybody listen to Dead On The Dance Floor? That shit fucking ruled! Their latest album just kinda sounded like one huge wankfest; every song had the same formula, no dynamics, no curveballs. I think you can start to see musical preferences by now :lol: :lol: :lol: I still can jam me some Emil Werstler, by god that man's a prophet on guitar, such percussive pick attack. It just never occurred to me to keep listening to them, they lost their appeal when they became a cut and dry metal band.

So yeah, there's you a few bands I feel kinda got worse with time/fell off my musical radar...I left out the obvious ones, like Metallica, Slayer, etc. haha.

16. SuperMutant

SuperMutant Banned

Da fuck?

Do you listen to pop or something?

17. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

I agree that Trivium should've stayed with the sound they had for Shogun and some of The Crusade.
    However, I don't agree that Augusto is the amazing drummer everyone makes him out to be. Ever since he joined, they've become consitently less tight live, and they've sped up the songs 150% too for some weird reason. I'm amazed at how fast they can downpick these days :lol:

Travis might not have had as interesting drumming, but at least he could hold down the beat properly live :2c:

18. CannibalKiller

CannibalKiller Banned

1. You didn't like Pray For Villains? SERIOUSLY?

3. Keane are still around? Haven't heard anything from them since H+F.

19. CannibalKiller

CannibalKiller Banned

Your post confused me. Both times I saw Trivium live with Nick, they've been perfect.
    Also, I think it's better for Trivium to have their own sound, rather than rehash old thrash metal bands. :shrug:

20. breadtruck

breadtruck SS.org Regular

I must agree that Trivium's latest release wasn't anywhere near as good as Shogun IMO. However that doesn't necessarily mean they are getting worse over time, as it was just one album.