Bands that got better over time

mike0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the dear hunter. i love all of their stuff, but i think having a full band dynamic in the writing contributed to act iv in a wonderful way, and helped fill in what was missing in the first three albums, even if act ii is still my favorite. also, the color spectrum is just incredible.

i'm tempted to say thrice, though i don't think they'll ever top vheissu/the alchemy indexes. everything since has still been really solid, just not in the same way that made those three releases so great.

agree with btbam and protest as well, but i'll still take fortress and colors over anything else they've put out or probably ever will put out.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Karnivool.

I don't care for their first album at all. Sound Awake is great and Asymmetry was incredible. Only three albums but they are way spaced out. I can't wait for the new one.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Which brings a new idea for this thread: Devin.

Casualties of Cool is the best record of the last years for me. In any genre.

I am of the opinion that thinking the likes of Epicloud and Deconstruction are better than Ocean Machine and Infinity is at least as crazy as the SYL comparison! He peaked right at the beginning. There's a reason the most requested songs for his last DVD were Funeral, Bastard and Death of Music. There are still good albums here and there, but nothing else has come close to those two albums. And even if you think one or two of them DO, there's been SO much stuff in the middle that it has not been an upwards trend!

I guess I should finally get that CoC album.

Science_Penguin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anathema has steadily gotten better too, IMO. I don't really like their Doom stuff and I really like most of their mid-period stuff, but they really skyrocketed with "We're Here Because We're Here" and their last one might have been even better

OH GOD, how did I forget this one!? Absolutely! Anathema's been a big influence on my band since we found them, to the point where my bassist even says "If we just sounded like an exact copy of these guys our whole career, I'd be cool with that." Obviously we don't actually want to do that, but if we can capture just a little of that beautiful sound, we'll be happy.

Honestly, I think the reason I forgot to mention them is that I keep forgetting they used to be Doom Metal...

Rosal76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't heard an Immolation album since that one with the picture of the field on it with the shadow over it. What happened with them?

Well, some things that I thought they improved on with each album they released:

1. Bob Vigna's guitar solos have more groove, melody, and structure.
2. They simplified their riffs and found the sweet spot. Too much and/or too little can be a bad thing.
3. They put more climax/tension and release points in their music. You know, the parts when you tell everyone in the room to shut up because you want to hear those parts. :lol:

You hear or at least I hear a difference from their first 2 albums onwards. :cool:

DXL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Nah Ocean Machine and Accelerated Evolution are his best works in my opinion, if anything his work in DTP has been kind of disappointing to me aside from Deconstruction.

anomynous

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This thread is the only place on the internet where I've seen Exoplanet rated as The Contortionist's worst/weakest album.

Volteau

the Bard
Reaction score
Isis is debatable, I think overall they probably did though.

Anathema has steadily gotten better too, IMO. I don't really like their Doom stuff and I really like most of their mid-period stuff, but they really skyrocketed with "We're Here Because We're Here" and their last one might have been even better.

Porcupine Tree is another one, I am pretty bored by everything pre-Signify, Signify's just OK, Stupid Dream's decent, Lightbulb Sun is good, In Absentia is pretty much a masterpiece, and everything since then has been a lot more in that vein.

ISIS did pretty good, but nothing captured me like that '09 record.

And as for those other bands, agreed 100%. Weather Systems is possibly one of the best albums I've heard in a LONG time.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Metallica. Well, their first 4 albums.

Kill 'em All was good. Not amazing, but good.
Ride the Lightning was a HUGE improvement over Kill 'Em All. One of the best thrash albums ever.
Master of Puppets was THE Metallica album. One of the most defining thrash albums.
And personally, I think AJFA is Metallica's best album. It's Master of Puppets, but darker and more progressive.

ImBCRichBitch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Metallica. Their first album was almost unlistenable to me. The quality for one. And the fact that they were trying too hard. Then theres Ride the Lightning. Lightyears better. From then until St. Anger (my personal favourite) anything after has went back to crap.

Iwrestledabearonce. They were god awful scene kid music until Courtney joined. By then the band had changed into a more refined prog metal sound. Nowadays, they have a good technical sound that really shows theyve evolved.

DXL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This thread is the only place on the internet where I've seen Exoplanet rated as The Contortionist's worst/weakest album.

I usually see Intrinsic regarded as the worst but this thread so far is supporting my opinion of them.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Interesting. I'd definitely agree that Shogun is their best.

Shogun
Ascendency
The Crusade
In Waves
Vengeance Falls
Ember To Inferno
Silence In The Snow

I have only listened to Vengeance and Silence maybe 4 times each so maybe they will grow on me but honestly the music just seems totally dumbed down when compared to Shogun.
Yeah, Shogun is the absolute best, hands down. But other than that, In Waves has to be my second most liked from them. I like Ascendancy for what it is too, well written but a bit too unrefined imo. Vengeance falls is a fine album; some great hooks and cool riffage, although the Draiman influence is a tad much. Silence in the slow... Yeah, I like the gravity brought in, but it lacks a bit of the soaring leads and melodics. I had to relisten to this to get a realistic picture, and yeah, okay, this is the exception. :lol: But I really just dislike embers and crusade.

A little bit harsh, but in fact correct.

City is the epitome of the whole Extreme Metal Scene in the 90s. It got it all. Death, Industrial, Grind, Thrash. It is to me The Exreme Metal record to which nothing after came close.

New Black and Alien are in fact fantastic Metal records, but they didn't show to the pure controlled chaos that is City. (+ Devy brought us Ocean Machine in the same year, which might be my favourite modern Metal album, period.)

City is unbridled chaos, while Alien is calculated and self-realizing hate. Both absolute masterpiece albums in my book. The new black is just fun, not near the same vein as those two.
And yeah, CoC is godlike as well. In fact, Che is amazing in pretty much any Devy context.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Contributor
Reaction score
I usually see Intrinsic regarded as the worst but this thread so far is supporting my opinion of them.

Which I never got, because Intrinsic was one of my favorite albums for a very long time. The cleans and ambient passages in that album are absolutely top shelf.
I will agree that the rhythm tone and overall mix of the album wasn't the greatest, but I still really enjoyed it.

I really like almost everything they've done, actually, I don't know why I don't listen to them anymore.

Pav

???
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see Between the Buried and Me mentioned so much. As good as all of their stuff is, IMO they really hit their stride with Alaska and then released the masterpiece that is Colors but haven't quite recaptured that magic since. :2c:

MrPepperoniNipples

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Aborted had released a pair of sub-par albums in the mid-2000s, but after those it's just been getting better and better. Their last release was their best, imo, and Global Flatline and The Necrotic Manifesto were great releases, too

Defeated Sanity is a definite! Passages and Dharmata/Disposal were exceptional

Tech Wrath

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Rings of Saturn? Whether you like em or not, the newer stuff is levels above their first 2 albums.
Spawn of Possession (all you have to do is listen to Apparition :lol:)
Gorod
CHON
Katalepsy
Pathology