Bands that got better over time

The Mirror

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Evergrey are back on their peak with "Hymns for the Broken" and based on the single from "The Storm Within" they god damn intent to stay there.

DXL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Contortionist's first two albums were unlistenable for me. But Language?

The soft moments on Intrinsic were amazing, especially the middle of Feedback Loop leading up to the marimba section. But yeah Exoplanet was terrible imo and Language was awesome.

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
The soft moments on Intrinsic were amazing, especially the middle of Feedback Loop leading up to the marimba section. But yeah Exoplanet was terrible imo and Language was awesome.

I love all 3 of The Contortionists stuff, but I do agree each album has been better than the last. I don't know why Exoplanet gets a lot of hate, there are some KILLER moments on that album. It's just brutal the whole way through. Great exercise album. Flourish and Contact (that breakdown, tho....) are the two strongest songs off that record in my opinion.

DXL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love all 3 of The Contortionists stuff, but I do agree each album has been better than the last. I don't know why Exoplanet gets a lot of hate, there are some KILLER moments on that album. It's just brutal the whole way through. Great exercise album. Flourish and Contact (that breakdown, tho....) are the two strongest songs off that record in my opinion.

For me it's just because when I listen to deathcore I'm not into complex rhythms, and when I listen to djent I prefer it to be more spacey and proggy. So Exoplanet is really just nothing i would like haha

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
For me it's just because when I listen to deathcore I'm not into complex rhythms, and when I listen to djent I prefer it to be more spacey and proggy. So Exoplanet is really just nothing i would like haha

Fair enough, different strokes for different folks :agreed:

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
I feel like I'm one of the few that loves that record from start to finish :lol: but it seems whenever The Contortionist gets brought up, more often than not people seem to agree Exoplanet is their weakest. But I don't wanna derail this thread any further lol

Random3

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I also forgot to mention the Contortionist. The mix isn't great on the first album so I don't listen to it very much. Language however is a step far above the other two.

Sumsar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably gonna get killed by some purist but:

1) Emperor. Seems most people think the first album is the best and then it goes down hill. Personally I like the first album the least and the third and forth album the best :lol:

2) Behemoth. Because of their newest album. Seems they put the 'Huh duh, we play brutal death metal' on the the shelf and actually wrote an album where you don't get ear fatigue after 3 minutes.

3) Gorguts. Their first albums are good and ground breaking, but the two releases after they reformed are just amazing.

4) Mayhem. I don't really care that much for the old classics, but their newest album is awesome!

The Mirror

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Warning: Contoversial stuff coming up. Don't kill me please.

Circus Maximus

"After the Fire" is the best track they ever did.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
IMHO, Periphery got way better after Nolly and Mark joined for good, and Sponce got gud. Clear, Juggernaut and PIII is absolutely stellar albums.

Chimaira got insanely good after Werstler joined them. Age of hell was good, Crown of phantoms was the bomb. Damn, I need some more Dååth material, stat!

KoRn had some downtime, but their newest releases are appeciable.

And my most controversial; Trivium. Sans for their latest, I think they've put out some rather nice music in recent times. They only started getting really good around their 3rd album. Shogun is an absolute masterpiece, and the following two are pretty decent as well.

Random3

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And my most controversial; Trivium. Sans for their latest, I think they've put out some rather nice music in recent times. They only started getting really good around their 3rd album. Shogun is an absolute masterpiece, and the following two are pretty decent as well.

Interesting. I'd definitely agree that Shogun is their best.

Shogun
Ascendency
The Crusade
In Waves
Vengeance Falls
Ember To Inferno
Silence In The Snow

I have only listened to Vengeance and Silence maybe 4 times each so maybe they will grow on me but honestly the music just seems totally dumbed down when compared to Shogun.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Contributor
Reaction score
Architects.
The Contortionist.
Misery Signals.
Comeback Kid.
Ion Dissonance.
Strapping Young Lad (hate me all you want, you know it's true)
Within the Ruins.
Veil of Maya, although [iD] is still a personal favorite.
Death.
Soilwork.
Protest the Hero can be argued, Kezia is a special record for me but overall I'd definitely say they've improved.
Unearth.
The Black Dahlia Murder (Unhallowed is still untouchable-tier though)
Be'lakor.

Fine wines, all of 'em. After the Burial and Periphery get honorable mention for consistently great releases.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree with BTBAM, though Colors is my favorite of theirs by far.

Yob is another, their last album was stellar.

The Faint changed their sound a lot over the course of their first couple albums and now have it really honed in. Their latest few have been outstanding.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks The New Black and Alien and SYL are better than City deserves all the hate they get! :hbang:

I think Soilwork's career has had too many peaks and valleys IMO to be "better over time." TCM and NBC and even FNF are all far, far better than the three that came after them. They just got better again! I also dunno if I prefer the last two to the earlier good albums, but maybe they're better?

The Mirror

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks The New Black and Alien and SYL are better than City deserves all the hate they get! :hbang:

A little bit harsh, but in fact correct.

City is the epitome of the whole Extreme Metal Scene in the 90s. It got it all. Death, Industrial, Grind, Thrash. It is to me The Exreme Metal record to which nothing after came close.

New Black and Alien are in fact fantastic Metal records, but they didn't show to the pure controlled chaos that is City. (+ Devy brought us Ocean Machine in the same year, which might be my favourite modern Metal album, period.)

Which brings a new idea for this thread: Devin.

Casualties of Cool is the best record of the last years for me. In any genre.

Dudley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Soilwork! I know I'm probably in the minority, but I feel that from Natural Born Chaos onwards they really hit their stride and from that album onwards the material was so much better than their early stuff.

Quite strange that I feel that way as their career has taken a pretty similar path to In Flames, who I feel the exact opposite about.