Bands that got better over time

gunch

30 y/o metal zooner
Reaction score
Igotbetter.gif

To offset the other BANDS THAT GOT WORSE OVER TIME thread

Post bands that age like fine wine.

Starting off, getting the obvious ones like Vektor and Revocation out of the way, also Defeated Sanity and Gorod

sawtoothscream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For me

August burns red , each album has been just as good or better then the last.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Protest the Hero - I still love Kezia and Fortress, hell I love all their albums, but they've come far from the mathcore/whatever you want to call their older material.

Gorod - I'm not a fan of their first two albums but once A Process of a New Decline came out, then I was sold

Random3

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a few.

After the Burial. I don't like their older stuff but it gradually got better. Dig Deep is by far their best for me.

Amon Amarth got progressively better until Twilight of the Thunder God. Every album since then has basically been the same album. Not that I am complaining.

August Burns Red. I still think Constellations is their best, but every album since then has also been fantastic.

Between the Buried and Me. Apart from Coma Ecliptic, every album they have released after Alaska has got progressively (cwatididthar) better. Coma is a great album, just not as good as the last few.

The Dillinger Escape Plan. I don't like the first two albums and I think the most recent two are the best. Maybe I am weird.

Disturbed. I have heard the argument that Disturbed basically keep releasing collections of songs that could have appeared on any of their albums. I have to agree with this to a point, but I also have to say that their most recent album Immortalised is definitely a standout, alongside Indestructible. The first two albums they did were definitely weaker IMO. Maybe it's just the production, but I definitely feel the albums as a whole have gradually improved.

Gojira. I haven't yet heard Magma, but everything else I feel has been a steady improvement with L'Enfant Sauvage being their best.

Lamb of God. Ok so for me Wrath is probably the best, but everything since then has been solid. Most of what came before Wrath just doesn't do it for me.

Monuments. Yes there are only two albums to draw from but I feel the difference in quality is substantial.

Periphery. I haven't yet heard III but if we discount Clear I feel there has been a steady improvement. I love all their albums though apart from Clear.

Veil of Maya. Maybe I am alone here but I feel Matriarch was a massive step up from their previous work.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
Martyr
Deathspell Omega - I love everything they've done, but the general progression of that band's sound is astonishing.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Thats a hard one because there are so many bands where I don't really like there first albums but then they released some amazing albums and then they went downhill a bit but these are a few bands where there last 3-4 albums have been much better than their first.

At the Gates, Carcass, Amorphis, BTBAM, Omnium Gatherum, Unearth, Within the Ruins

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I have a few.
Lamb of God. Ok so for me Wrath is probably the best, but everything since then has been solid. Most of what came before Wrath just doesn't do it for me.

Interesting, I think the stretch of Sacrament, Wrath, and Resolution are the weakest of their career. Not saying they stunk, I do love LOG, I just don't care for them nearly as much as As The Palaces Burn and Ashes of The Wake. I actually liked Sturm Und Drang quite a lot too, had some parts that reminded more of the older albums.

Random3

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Interesting, I think the stretch of Sacrament, Wrath, and Resolution are the weakest of their career.

For me I think a large part of it is the production. Sacrament was the first one that actually sounded good to me from a production standpoint.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The trve cultists will skewer me, but Abbath. his music is better and it's even listenable now.
The knopfler albums also went upwards from early direstraits to his last solo stuff and interim bands in between.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Isis is debatable, I think overall they probably did though. Neurosis may also be arguable, though some of their early stuff is REALLY, REALLY good and not all of their recent albums are great either. They might just be very consistent over a very long period of time.

Almost all bands did if you just measure their last few against their first one :lol: Ex, Meshuggah's last few are sure better than CC, though I still like Chaosphere the most, so they're probably just another example of remarkable consistency.

I would argue Enslaved is a big example of a steady improvement. Their first several albums are too rough around the edges for me. They may have peaked with Below the Lights, but I've loved practically everything they've done since then. Riitiir might just be the best thing they've ever done.

Anathema has steadily gotten better too, IMO. I don't really like their Doom stuff and I really like most of their mid-period stuff, but they really skyrocketed with "We're Here Because We're Here" and their last one might have been even better.

Porcupine Tree is another one, I am pretty bored by everything pre-Signify, Signify's just OK, Stupid Dream's decent, Lightbulb Sun is good, In Absentia is pretty much a masterpiece, and everything since then has been a lot more in that vein.

The scary thing is, I just looked through my entire collection of music, and those were THE ONLY bands that jumped out :lol: Almost all bands get worse with time, or only released a few albums (so far, or ever), or have too many peaks and valleys to be said to have improved over time.

I haven't heard an Immolation album since that one with the picture of the field on it with the shadow over it. What happened with them? I assume their sound got more Hi-Fi. Death is a decent answer, I guess I've never really listened to their earlier stuff since I didn't care about it much, but since I consider "Individual Thought Patterns" to be superior to the two follow-ups, I didn't consider them. Both of those are still very good, though.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
For me I think a large part of it is the production. Sacrament was the first one that actually sounded good to me from a production standpoint.

Oh no doubt the production got better on that one. I bought the remastered and remixed version of As The Palaces Burn when it came out and it was cool to hear the difference in what it was supposed to sound like originally.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thats a hard one because there are so many bands where I don't really like there first albums but then they released some amazing albums and then they went downhill a bit but these are a few bands where there last 3-4 albums have been much better than their first.

Amorphis

I agree that their FIRST isn't good, but do you really think everything post-Am Universum is an improvement over the "classics"? I've never heard of anyone preferring those to Elegy, or usually not even Tuonela. Tales from the Thousand Lakes is also widely considered a big classic, though I never really liked it myself.

I've never listened to one single song post-Am Universum apart from their weak advance single "Day of Your Beliefs" cause i heard relentlessly bad things about them with the occasional "well, at least it's better than the last one and moving in the direction of the early good ones!!!" What would you suggest listening to?

DXL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IMHO, I think ISIS did with this final gem:

That's funny because ISIS did say that they felt their whole career led up to this album, that this was the end goal of their sound, however I still think Panopticon and In the Absence of Truth were their best works.

DXL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also for my list:
Between the Buried and Me
Anathema
Scale the Summit
Behemoth
Machine Head
Spawn of Possession
Death Angel

hoffmaniv

Basement Dweller
Reaction score
Animals as Leaders and The Contortionist.

Not a joke.

As cool as the guitar work is on AaL and Weightless, Joy of Motion was a huge achievement in terms of production, composition and technicality as well. Everything on that album makes so much sense. Its older siblings feel less ... cohesive.

The Contortionist's first two albums were unlistenable for me. But Language?

d96.jpg

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bands with three albums are way too early in their career to count IMO!