Bands/artists you feel you should like but just cannot get into

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by jehu12141987, Dec 26, 2012.

1. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

well i wouldn't say that the faceless or animals as leaders are "djent", necessarily; but yes, i don't like djent. and as for meshuggah, they just never really clicked for me. most of their songs just strike me as really uninteresting, even though they may be a total rhythmic mindfuck. i'll certainly give them more tries though

2. jehu12141987

jehu12141987 SS.org Regular

D U B S T E P .

3. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

Good for you! I also love Carcass and most of their song titles.

"Papyrus Containing the Spell To Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In the Water" :noplease::spock:

"Chapter of Obeisance Before Giving Breath to the Inert One in the Presence of the Crescent Shaped Horns" :spock:

I should have been more specific - ridiculously long sentences. It's just annoying at that point.

And I still dislike Nile.

4. CrownofWorms

CrownofWorms SS.org Regular

Winds of Plauge

5. MontaraMike

MontaraMike F Sharp

#1. Rolling Stones,
    Tool, Buckethead, Slash, Steve Vai, Dragonforce, Hendrix, The Who, Clapton, Nile, Mastadon, Meshuggah (except for the Obzen album which is one of my favorites)

6. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

+1 for Mastadon. I just don't get it, I guess? I want to like them, because I feel like I'm the only one in my whole damn social circle who doesn't think they're the bee's knees, but it just doesn't work for me.. Plus, every time I hear them, I find it impossible to repress my disappointment that a band who's sound is so small (to me) chose a name that implies such a giant. Best name ever, totally wasted. (IMHO! Not trying to start a flame war!)

There are tons of others. I have virtually zero interest in all of the guitar players who are direct or indirect influences on our generation. Hendrix, Van Halen, Satriani (Summer Song notwithstanding; it's an ear-worm..), Clapton, SRV, etc.. Just don't do it for me. :shrug:

I've also never been able to enjoy the vast majority of The Beatles catalog I've been exposed to, but a recent HBO documentary about George Harrison may have finally helped broaden my perception of their work.

7. MontaraMike

MontaraMike F Sharp

Yeah there are so many bands out there with Names that don't fit their music.

8. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

I have a theory on why people are into bands like Nirvana, The Beatles, Meshuggah, Radiohead or the traditional metal bands like Maiden or Priest, and why some are not. It has EVERYTHING to do with when you were first exposed to them. If it was in your "formative" musical years, and you'd never heard anything like it before, it stuck with you. Myself, I got into Nirvana around age 16, the Beatles around 18, and then Metallica hit me at 19 or so. All vastly different styles of music, but I would consider myself a fan of them all still, despite not really listening to them much anymore. I tried to get into Radiohead at 16 too, and Kid A was a ridiculously weird album which I liked at the time, but I still don't know if I like the band because of their pretentiousness. I certainly respect them for doing their own thing, but I can't sit there and listen to Thom Yorke's cryptic whinging.

9. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

This, so much this.

My friend was huge into them and showed me a few of their videos; it's amazing how easily and quickly the "pretention" translates...and that voice; ugh.

Also, few folks hating on Dillinger; give their later albums a go. I cannot for the life of me get into their early stuff, but Ire Works and Option Paralysis are phenomenal. Milk Lizard is so much fun to play/sing along with!

Also, negatory on Nile for me as well. Maybe it was just that horrible guitar world or whatever video they did with blenders for amps, but I don't see the appeal at all.

10. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

Mostly just Meshuggah, but also Dream Theater.

11. djyngwie

djyngwie SS.org Regular

BTBAM for sure.

12. Alimination

Alimination Space Adventurer

*edit* sorry read it wrong- deleted post! *blush*

13. Painhawg

Painhawg Well-Known Member

Dream theater, Van Halen, Slayer.

Being a teen in the 80's I got into George Lynch and Warren Dimartini pretty heavily, WASP as well.

Never got into Nirvana, or the biggest part of 90's rock.

14. nostealbucket

nostealbucket aint no gahdam woman

A lot of Devin Townsend, the haarp machine, 12 foot ninja, a lot of Dream Theater....

15. Beachbum4894

Beachbum4894 Music Producer

Totally loving Periphery right now, but can't really get into anyone else in their genre.
    I could also never get into older 80s bands, Nirvana and I'll probably get a lot of shit for this but i really don't think the Beatles are that incredibly great...in MY opinion

16. Radau

Radau Bongoloid

Tool and Pink Floyd.
    I just can't get into it

17. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

Probably the 'classics'. Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughan...

I have two Pink Floyd albums. Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. ...Just no interest. I feel I should like them because, well, they're classics for guitar.

But then again, I simply don't give a toss. I'm a guitarist, yes... but I became a guitarist because I wanted to play electronic music on it. I find so much of the blues to be mind-numbingly boring.

18. MontaraMike

MontaraMike F Sharp

Queensryche
    Bon Jovi
    Alice in Chains
    Motley Crue

19. jehu12141987

jehu12141987 SS.org Regular

When I tell people that I don't like bands like Floyd and Sabbath, I hear the argument alot of times of, "Well you should like them because without them, there would be no _____, _____, and _____! They created the blah blah blah herp derp..." For me, this is a stupid argument. It's like saying I should like love an outhouse because it led to the invention of the indoor toilet; sorry, but while I respect what they've done to further advance things... I do not like them one bit.

20. Dores

Dores SS.org Regular

I can't stand listening to The Beatles. It's seriously some of the worst music I've ever heard.