Band identity. the notes/chords/rhythm that make the band

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by TimothyLeary, Jun 6, 2010.

1. TimothyLeary

TimothyLeary Tune in, Drop out

Sometimes when I'm learning other bands songs, like Tool for example, I noticed that I'm playing simple riffs, few notes only, but it automatically sounds Tool. It seems like they own those notes, or chords. And when I'm trying to come up with something new, original, it happen two different things: if I "touch" those notes, I start to sound like Tool, or sometimes I want to sound like Tool, make some riffs like them, and I just can't find the notes. It's strange, bcause they are there, but I can't connect them to sound like Tool.

And this applies to a lot of bands... and it's a lot "frustrating" when we talk about bands that use simple(i know it's subjective) stuff. Like Gojira, you know when it's Gojira playing by only a riff, or maybe a drum part. Mastodon is also a good example, Cynic, king crimson, etc... and I'm not talking about 1 album only, but their entire career.

I think this is the ultimate objective, it doesn't matter if you have a lot of skills or not, you just have to play something that can be distinguished of the rest.

So, Have you find you identity? Something that people know that's your song?

2. boni

boni SS.org Regular

bands that have their own 'identify' identifiable inside a culture or group of listeners... usually those bands are successful!

you sound generic to everyone, you are not successful

3. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

I can instantly tell if a riff sounds Metallica. Sometimes I come up with a riff and I think; "Damn that sounds awesome!" Then I listen to it again, and notice right away that it sounds like the general Metallica riff...

4. Vairocarnal

Vairocarnal ...is something.

Maybe it's not the notes themselves but rather the amount of yourself that you put into it. Not time or energy but how much you FEEL it from your heart. I remember Dino talking about the three H's. Music starts from within your heart, goes to your head then out to your hands.

5. MFB

MFB Banned

The Swans have a very distinct sound, as do Mars Volta

Could just be youre recognizing their style and tone versus note selection