Balaguer 8 string thoughts

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Reinholderx, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Reinholderx

Reinholderx SS.org Regular

So I'm still procrastinating on an 8 string. I'd had a shortlist but hadn't taken the next step and remembered the Balaguer semi custom guitar builder. Wondering if anyone here has had a Balaguer 8 string built and if so how it compared with say a Schecter or Ibanez?

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I have one and I think it's great. I've got the Floyd on it, so the action isn't where I want it to be, but that's because the radius on an 8 string Floyd is damn close to infinity, so I need to take it off and shim up the middle strings. But quality-wise, I'm very impressed. The highest spec Ibby I have is a Prestige, and I'd say it's probably there, but I can't vouch for action just yet, because I can't slam it down without shimming those saddles (otherwise I get good action on the high E, but fret out on the D and G strings due to the difference in FB to Floyd radii).

3. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Floyd 8s are tricky because I think the nut radius is around 18" and the bridge is 20". Not sure what fretboard radius Balaguer uses. If possible I would opt for 18" to match the nut and would shim the bridge.

4. Reinholderx

I'm definitely not qualified to use a floyd! I was thinking Astra DC body with hipshot bridge. 5-6 month build time though I'm not sure I'm that patient!! Not sure about the pickups either. They have fewer options in the 8s. Not sure about Fishman moderns in an 8, not from any personal experience, just internet chatter to be fair.

5. Reinholderx

upload_2021-2-24_14-20-12.png
    Seriously considering it..

6. Randy

Randy The Pusterienceā„¢ Super Moderator

Reminds me a lot of Javier Reyes' sig

buck fever likes this.
  7. Reinholderx

Similarities. Not sure on the Fishmans. It does look pretty cool though.

[​IMG]

Jackillin likes this.
  8. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

I'd go passive with the Balaguer pickups based on what Joe thinks you will like. Mainly because I think there are plenty of good passive options for 8s if you don't dig the stockers.

AxeHappy likes this.
  9. Jackillin

Jackillin In ignorant love with ERG

HOLY MOLY!!!!!!! What is that?!

10. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

ESP/LTD Javier Reyes signature model.

Jackillin likes this.
  11. Jackillin

Jackillin In ignorant love with ERG

Thanks, yeah - I realised I've seen that guitar before. It's a beauty!!!! Not sure about the non-fanfret design. I've only played fanned -fret 8's before.

12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I think this is a new development (or maybe I just missed it before) but you can get an inline HS on the 8 string models now. I'm super glad I didn't pull the trigger on one before, because the inline looks MUCH better with the aggressive model styles, and I want the diablo.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  13. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Balaguer's price hike on semi-custom builds is coming. Not sure how much it is since the company hasn't openly disclosed yet, but their announcements indicate that they have moved to a better shop space with superior CNC equipment and have expanded their luthier team in Korea a bit. This is all wonderful news for the brand as I love what Balaguer is doing. (And I say that as an owner of a Balaguer guitar with plans on purchasing more from the company.)

With that said, I'm not entirely sure in the grand scheme of things (if we are hypothetically comparing Balaguer to other big-box, import brands like Schecter and Ibanez) if Balaguer's semi-custom guitars are worth it. They don't appear to retain their value well on the used market; and if a secondhand one does sell, it seems to stay within the "Balaguer community" which is heavily social media based. (Same curse for Aristides. Same few guitars shift around the same few hands.) The standard stock Balaguer stuff seems to have better luck being exchanged between hands on the secondhard market, but it still seems a bit overpriced for a very simple Chinese-made or Korean-made import guitar. Of course, we could attribute that to the fact that Balaguer is a new company, and a small operation at that. We all know how small companies have to ask higher costs for their products at first in their early years until they obtain better mass manufacturing deals for a higher supply along with generating a higher demand to meet in the marketplace. (Balaguer just isn't there yet. They aren't a massive "in demand" brand yet.)

With that said, if you do have something very specific in mind (in terms of a very specific set of specs, wants/desires, aesthetic choices, etc.) then Balaguer definitely beats other semi-custom companies like Kiesel and blows other big-box, import brands like Schecter and Ibanez out of the water. But if you "just want an 8-string" and that's it, nothing else, then I'd suggest looking elsewhere aside from Balaguer. You'll get a better deal for your money.

14. Reinholderx

Thank you, that sounds like good advice. To be honest I'm more at the 'just want an 8 string' end of the spectrum at the moment. I have been looking at this Schecter also so might investigate that some more: https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/hellraiser-hybrid-c-8-detail