Bags vs hard shells, do they really compare?

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got a new 7 and have been looking at upgrading to a better case than what it came with.
Comparing online options to the different cases I have from ESP and Fender I thought maybe hybrid bags like the Reunion Blues and Mono stuff might have evolved with harder materials int he meantime. But it seems the design and materials are pretty much the same they were 10 years ago.

I have the gig bag my bass came with. That's the standard Ibanez nylon or some similar material. Then I have a PRS gig bag that is really close in feel and protection–mainly a foam padded insert around the contour of the instrument, minor padding on the outside, etc...
And then I have a Music area that I bought on Amazon which seems to be a Mono knock off. This one was the cheapest and somehow it's also the sturdiest.

What bags that are rigid and impact/break resistant are there out there these days? There has to be something like that. Something that looks like a bag but has the structural integrity of a case. And ideally it fits non baritone ESP and Ibanez 7 strings.

Also, how much do you think is too much? It seems that the really good reviewed stuff is sitting between $200 and $300 judged by what I could google.

What do you use to store your guitars at home and take to gigs?

What brands are making the best cases and who is making the best hybrid or hard bags for Ibanez and ESP?

For example, Ibanez has a really cool M500 case that looks legit and is cheap. But they do not make a bag that looks rigid. ESP makes great cases but also no comparable bag...

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i love my mono dual gig bag. i think it really protects my guitars well and is a heck of a lot easier than carrying two hard cases. i was very hesitant of the price but its really well made made and was a great purchase.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I have one of these in the les Paul equivalent and I love it. It’s essentially a hybrid case, and it has a surprising amount of storage for other stuff.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If 6 string cases don't fit, snag a bass case off craigslist for like 60-80 bucks and done

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have one of these in the les Paul equivalent and I love it. It’s essentially a hybrid case, and it has a surprising amount of storage for other stuff.

Did you mean to post a link or were you echoing the love for the mono dual gig bag?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Hard cases make zero sense to me. I dont pack my laptop into a hard shell, I dont wrap china and pottery in hard packing materials, why would you pack your guitar in a hard shell lined with some felt? Insane.

Jeff Kiesel said something like 95% of the damaged guitars he ships out are damaged in the hardshell case.

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hard cases make zero sense to me. I dont pack my laptop into a hard shell, I dont wrap china and pottery in hard packing materials, why would you pack your guitar in a hard shell lined with some felt? Insane.

Jeff Kiesel said something like 95% of the damaged guitars he ships out are damaged in the hardshell case.

So what bags are you using for your guitars?

evade

enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it easier to put my guitar in the hard case and I can leave it unstrapped.

I value my guitars more than my laptop. Most of my friends would pack their bongs in pelican cases so I think it makes sense provided you get a fitted case where it doesn't move around during transit. That being said, there are still protective measures you can take when shipping out a hardcase like bubble wrap which is what's used with shipping with softcases.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
So what bags are you using for your guitars?
Kiesel soft case. All my guitars fit in it, and I usually am not traveling with more than one guitar. Its perfect for it, probably thickest padded gig bag I've ever felt in my life.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

Until a clumsy singer opens the trunk carelessly and all the gear tetris in the van falls to the ground.

Result? A case with a broken corner. Now imagine an impact capable of breaking a case with a gigbag instead. Have fun :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

Cases stack in vans and trailers. They also stand upright unassisted in the staging area of a venue. If you arent gigging a lot then yeah a bag is probably fine. But if you play a decent amount of shows, especially touring, cases just make sense.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Cases stack in vans and trailers. They also stand upright unassisted in the staging area of a venue. If you arent gigging a lot then yeah a bag is probably fine. But if you play a decent amount of shows, especially touring, cases just make sense.
Good point, I'll concede that.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

SKB cases actually stack in the proper sense, so they don't slip when piled up (which makes them specially awesome).

If I'm rehearsing or just some casual transport, I use gigbags. If i'm gigging, cases all the way. @budda summed it up perfectly.

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Jeff Kiesel is a fuckin' liar Timmy.
Plus he probably uses FedEx.
.......you probably didnt know but my name actually is Tim lol that was a little odd to read

and yeah, he does use fedex lol

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
I'd rather just use a hard case and put up with the slight inconvenience knowing that the guitar is well protected. Guitars can still receive damage inside a hard case, but it's less likely...also the neck support is practically a requirement for guitars with the Gibson headstock break angle (hybrid cases are probably good for this also).

4Eyes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have Gruv Gear GigBlade II, pretty sturdy an it feels likd it could protect my guitar pretty well. I have also ESP and Ibanez Prestige hard cases. But if I don't need to bring more than one guitar with me I take Gigblade because it's the lightest

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
I have several cases and mostly 2 gigbags. Cases are Ibanez composite fiber plastic something and two are wood or variants, and 2 from Gator. Gigbags are both Gator ProGo.

G-PG-ELECTRIC_FRONT.jpg

These bags ROCK... specs are here: https://www.gatorcases.com/products...guitar/electric-guitar-gig-bag-g-pg-electric/

They have a crazy video showcasing these bags that... let's say, it's hard to look at.