Bad news for lovers of tubes

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by budda, Aug 7, 2021.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

It's interesting that the amp techs on my canadian forum are a lot more doom and gloom on this.

2. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

@wheresthefbomb im talking about the amt b-lead (bogner-lead) this thing (which btw is fantastic!) 01.jpg

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Do they sell tubes? :lol:

4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Nope, just fix amps afaik.

5. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I know AMT has had the solid state equivalents for 12AX7 tubes for at least a few years now but I don't think they've ever come up with something that can replace power tubes (which are the ones that tend to wear out the fastest and I would imagine most people are worried about).

Gmork likes this.
  6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

There was prototypes (well at least pictures of them). If I remember right they couldn't make them reliable or something.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've never met a legit tech that didn't have an entire cabinet or closet full of tubes, if for nothing else, to check amps with.

efiltsohg and Wolfhorsky like this.
  8. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

One day there will be no tubes and amps Will be using sold state re productions. Once upon a time all amps had tube rectifiers

but I feel there’s still enough of a demand out there that supply will be filled for my lifetime.

my kids can worry about the lack of tubes in the world. Sure that will be least of their worries.

Spinedriver likes this.
  9. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

Tubes are a niche product.
    But it's far more likely that tube amps will become obsolete because modellers, plugins and solid state amps get better and cheaper, and not because people can't get new tubes.

Thomann is the largest online music equipment retailer in the world.
    If you look at their top sellers list. The Kemper, Boss Katana and Line 6 Helix are miles ahead of tube amps in sales.

So I think tube amp sales is on a downward trend, which will also affect tube production. But not enough for all tube manufacturing to just stop. Tube amp owners will always be able to get new tubes.

gabito and Wolfhorsky like this.
  10. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Why buy tubes when you can just buy amps?

KailM, Razerjack, Boofchuck and 7 others like this.
  11. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Sad but, I hope this drives some of the bigger brands to innovate and invest in releasing professional-tier analog solidstate amps.

Who other than me would be stoked for Peavey, Engl, and Mesa to bring some modern (think AMT Electronics) solidstate amps to the table?

12. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I would be willing to bet that sales of tube amps have also gone down at least by that because of both other tech becoming better and better aaand this covid thingy stopping live gigs and stuff where people used big loud amps instead of a computer plugin
    So I think will be fine. But still wouldn't mind a bit of a push for amp companies to innovate.

13. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Actually, I think it's quite the opposite. Most tube amp customers seem to be people that don't gig regularly (mostly hobbysts/enthusiasts or whatever you want to call them). Since the pandemic started I've sold more tubes as well.

Gigging musicians nowadays are relying more and more on digital gear. Both small and bigger acts.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Wolfhorsky and sevenfoxes like this.
  14. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

According to this, you are correct.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Elric, profwoot and I play music like this.
  15. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

I’m not surprised by that data. With the digital surge (including plugins), I don’t see how that wouldn’t take away from tube amp sales.

I honestly wonder how much lower that number would be if it weren’t for the rise of lunchbox amps.

CM_X5 and I play music like this.
  16. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I think the main reason for people/companies being hesitant to dive into 'high end' solid state amps is due to repairability. With 'tube amps' most of the components are caps, resistors, etc... that are fairly easy to diagnose and repair by a tech. With 'solid state' amps, manufacturers tend to use a lot more compact boards loaded with smds and ic chips which make it a lot harder to repair.

Personally, I'd take a solid state amp over a valve amp every time but from a maintenance standpoint, I can see why a lot of people would prefer a 'hand wired' amp. That's why if someone could make a viable 'solid state' equivalent to a 6L6, EL84, etc... power tube, it would be a literal game changer in the amp world.

Wolfhorsky and MatrixClaw like this.
  17. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Not a conspiracy theory type of they/them/person, but...

1. There seems to be a lot of oh yeah me too we are also *cough* experiencing shortages *cough* coming from industries minimally affected.

2. Downline sellers promulgating a shortage based on being minimally affected. For example the recent SE gas shortage.

3. Buyers panic buying and reinforcing the fake/exaggerated shortage. Also the recent SE gas shortage.

18. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Fear is one of life's greatest cash grabs.

19. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Except the buying public does not want solid-state amps from those brands. They could develop a great solid-state amp but if priced similarly to their tube amps a lot of people are going to balk just because it's not all tube and thus has the perception that it is "lesser than".

Amp buyers are a weird lot when they are fine throwing an armada of solid-state pedals in front of their precious tube amps but somehow if that amp is not all tube then it's no good. It must be something stemming from all the solid-state amps made in the 1980s-2000s where you had units with varying levels of success and most did not manage to sound as good as their tube brethren.

Elric, gabito, Wolfhorsky and 3 others like this.
  20. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

I have never understood this either. People being overly obsessed with tube amps, but then first gain stage is always a damn tubescreamer :lol:

CM_X5, gabito, USMarine75 and 4 others like this.